The Humans

All things Human, Hiver, Tarka, Liir, Zuul and Morrigi.

Moderator: Erinys

fiendishrabbit

Re: The Humans

Post by fiendishrabbit » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:17 am

I imagine there could be a lot of work done there. I mean, while the reaction is pretty much 100% matter/energy conversion there is (if I understand it correctly) a ton of exotic particles (with what, 75% of the energy converted into neutrinos, charge neutral particles travelling at the speed of light? Not the easiest particle to harness).
I'd be surprised if early antimatter reactors converted more than 5% of that energy into useful forms of power. And it would still kick fusions ass.
Develop an effective (or even semi-decent) means of neutrino capture and you've increased the potential of your antimatter exponentially.

P.S: Neutrino detection devices look awesome
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

wingren013
Cassandra

Post by wingren013 » Mon May 23, 2011 5:12 pm

What about some sort of Fusion/Fission hybrid generator that recycled wasted material, it could be put on the ship as an add-on to the drive and improve fuel efficency and STL speed
The SOTS2 players guide: http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=43082&p=482769#p482769
Ultimate Enemy Mod: http://www.kerberos-productions.com/for ... 01#p499101
(I like line spacing, parentheses, and inter-sentence punctuation; deal with it)

Coyote27

Post by Coyote27 » Mon May 23, 2011 7:16 pm

Like... Recombinant Fissionables?
"In the absence of any orders, go find something and kill it." -Erwin Rommel

fibio

Post by fibio » Mon May 23, 2011 9:59 pm

Also you might struggle to fission fusion products or fuse fission products.
Buy my book - Six Seconds of Moonlight on the kindle store.

Anyone can be a god beneath the moonlight, but who can be a hero?

usermist2

Post by usermist2 » Tue May 24, 2011 6:10 am

As Erinys said elsewhere, and without Hiver Flavoring:

The problem with using antimatter as a power source isn't in the production of power, it's in capturing enough of the output to do anything useful with it. So, I expect that it wouldn't make sense to seek another source of power when there's so much of it, but technology to use more of what's already produced would be more logical and cost-effective, especially when entrenched empires are duking it out. Maybe some of these new power refinements won't have a 100% tech roll? Maybe there will be more than one of them?

Things Go Better With C2H5OH.

wingren013
Cassandra

Post by wingren013 » Sun May 29, 2011 2:45 am

conversely it might be easier to develop a new power source instead of refining your current one

also that recycling idea was for the particles released by the AM drives
The SOTS2 players guide: http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=43082&p=482769#p482769
Ultimate Enemy Mod: http://www.kerberos-productions.com/for ... 01#p499101
(I like line spacing, parentheses, and inter-sentence punctuation; deal with it)

Up-to-Eleven

Post by Up-to-Eleven » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:24 pm

Hi! Newbie here. :oops: How do Humans in the SoTSverse communicate over FTl distances? Do they use couriers or something else?

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

The Humans

Post by ZedF » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:57 pm

In-system, standard light-speed comms, as I recall. Between systems, messages are transmitted by small automated node message drones to relays at either end of a node line. IIRC these drones just shuttle back and forth through the node link and the relay takes care of forwarding messages to other relays in the system using regular lightspeed comms.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Up-to-Eleven

Post by Up-to-Eleven » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:46 pm

ZedF wrote:In-system, standard light-speed comms, as I recall. Between systems, messages are transmitted by small automated node message drones to relays at either end of a node line. IIRC these drones just shuttle back and forth through the node link and the relay takes care of forwarding messages to other relays in the system using regular lightspeed comms.

Thanks. :)

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:09 am

What kind of crew complement would a typical Human Extended Range scout destroyer have in the fission age?

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:28 pm

I think its in the ship file ;)

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:39 am

Finding out the number of people on board is easy enough. I was hoping to get some idea into what their jobs might be. How many engineers/marines/officers/etc.?

DervMan

Post by DervMan » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:54 am

To my mind, and please bear in mind that I don't work for Kerberos*, but based on what the developers have said, the SotS universe is closer to World War One rather than World War Two. So that means a handful of officers and the rest are able seamen, ratings or ensign rank.

For my SotS writing, I lean on Royal Navy crew but throw in some of my own colours. So you have a Captain, a Tactical Officer (Principal Warfare Officer on modern warships), Communications Officer, Navigation Officer and Engineering Officer. Ratings or Ensigns point the weapons and drive the ship.

gfc1963

Post by gfc1963 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:33 pm

Just finished a game playing the humans but for the last 100 - 120 turns I had to fight a race called Spengler. They seem to be andriod in appearance and used Tarka designs for their fleet. They did not show up on the data correlation screen - just the eight races that were playing the game. I could not find out what tech they were using, only when I went into battle could I see they were using railguns and heavy railguns as their main weapons. They seemed to pop up out of nowhere and were quite fast at colonosing planets. It took me a long time to get all their planets but managed in the end!

DervMan

Post by DervMan » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:29 pm

gfc1963 wrote:Just finished a game playing the humans but for the last 100 - 120 turns I had to fight a race called Spengler. They seem to be andriod in appearance and used Tarka designs for their fleet. They did not show up on the data correlation screen - just the eight races that were playing the game. I could not find out what tech they were using, only when I went into battle could I see they were using railguns and heavy railguns as their main weapons. They seemed to pop up out of nowhere and were quite fast at colonosing planets. It took me a long time to get all their planets but managed in the end!

Oh nasty! That's an AI Rebellion. Well done for surviving it!

Return to “The Races”