The Humans

All things Human, Hiver, Tarka, Liir, Zuul and Morrigi.

Moderator: Erinys

TrashMan

Re: The Humans

Post by TrashMan » Wed May 05, 2010 7:17 am

You'd think that the most heavily populated countries would be hit the hardest, with the hivers going for genocide and all.
halo07guy wrote: Praise be to Trashman! All will revel in his holy modding skillz!
And I say onto you: Blessed are those who play my mods - for they are good!

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed May 05, 2010 7:36 am

Well...you would think that...the rest of us would tend to think in terms of a dreadnought, in orbit...y'know...orbiting...and targeting the biggest energy sources as they go by underneath.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed May 05, 2010 7:28 pm

Latin has not been "resurrected" per se--it has remained in use for many centuries, not only by the Church but by the academic elite and by people in many important professions, including science and law. In the future, the language simply been re-democratized and returned to vulgate use (which in my opinion makes it much more interesting).

There have been proposals in our own time period about adopting Latin as the official common language of the European union, and I decided to posit that it actually WAS adopted and became the common tongue of an even larger polity, the Europa Consortium.

As for Hanzi--it is the most common written language of the planet NOW, much less centuries from now.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Mesaia

Post by Mesaia » Thu May 06, 2010 5:20 am

Hanzi is only the most common written language because the country that uses it is the most populous :P

It's use hasn't spread much beyond the borders of the land. Even that spread caused by the diaspora has petered out in favour of the native or dominant languages of the new lands even with the chinese clans and associations trying to maintain it's purity. Even Singapore, the most dominantly chinese emigrant society resulting from the diaspora has seen a major erosion in the use of hanzi except in areas directly related to the use of hanzi. Chinese cultural studies, Chinese language courses and the like.

/shrug I donno whether this is not really relevant to the game story...

Monkeyking

Post by Monkeyking » Thu May 06, 2010 9:48 pm

Well that is due to the "former" Prime Minister and the current Minister Mentor of Singapore.
"And I say that selling you soul to the devil is only done by the stupid. Why sell your soul for temporarily pleasure ,and eternal servitude where it be far easier to rent it." Charles John Heredia

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu May 06, 2010 10:30 pm

/shrug yet you felt the need to impress us all with it anyway :P

Mesaia

Post by Mesaia » Fri May 07, 2010 4:30 am

I'd typed it out already and it was a choice of hitting delete and sending it into oblivion or hitting submit and sharing a bit of knowledge.

Mesaia

Post by Mesaia » Fri May 07, 2010 4:31 am

What are you trying to say there MonkeyKing? The MM actually had a lot to do with pursuing speak/write mandarin policies in Singapore.

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan » Fri May 07, 2010 12:10 pm

It's Arinns world.

Is she wants, she can make KLINGON the main language of Earth.
Hm...actually ,that would be kinda funny.
halo07guy wrote: Praise be to Trashman! All will revel in his holy modding skillz!
And I say onto you: Blessed are those who play my mods - for they are good!

Naja
Doomsayer

Post by Naja » Fri May 07, 2010 8:05 pm

TrashMan wrote:It's Arinns world.

Hm...actually ,that would be kinda funny.

Maybe it's not that far off.

Keisari

Post by Keisari » Sat May 08, 2010 1:14 am

Naja wrote:Maybe it's not that far off.

OH. MY. GOD. :bangdesk:

...wait that's like 11 years ago, I wonder what the graph looks like now :thumbsup:

fibio

Post by fibio » Sat May 08, 2010 9:21 am

Not much higher, people who speek klingon tend to have poor breading prospects. :wink:
Buy my book - Six Seconds of Moonlight on the kindle store.

Anyone can be a god beneath the moonlight, but who can be a hero?

nickersonm

Post by nickersonm » Sat May 08, 2010 11:44 am

I know, it's so hard to knead dough with a bat'leth!

Mesaia

Post by Mesaia » Sat May 08, 2010 12:50 pm

TrashMan wrote:It's Arinns world.

"/shrug I donno whether this is not really relevant to the game story..."

That's what this was for...

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed May 19, 2010 8:25 pm

Just to return things to topic: the popularity of Hanzi as a unifying language is based in part on the formation of a political entity called the Han Consortium in the 23rd century.

As one of the new collective states of the pre-Node era, the Han Consortium was by far the most heavily populated polity of the planet. It was multi-lingual and multi-cultural to an enormous degree, comprising most of eastern Asia and the still-viable portions of the Indian subcontinent, as well as a huge population of people whose homes and livelihoods were literally built on the water in the Indian Ocean, China Sea, and over the Drowned Lands of eastern and southeast Asia.

Hanzi was a useful administrative tool and was imposed by the politically and militarily powerful core in the Asian highlands. It allowed the officials of many population groups to communicate clearly and effectively via electronic channels. It was also taught in schools, promoted as an official literary and cultural heritage language for the state, and adopted by the general population for their own use in trade and entertainment--i.e., audiences in the floating cities of Japan would enjoy watching films shot in Hindi or Bengali or Tibetan with Hanzi subtitles, and vice versa.

The Han Consortium was one of the hardest hit during the First Contact bombardment of Earth. Major population centers were destroyed and millions were killed--millions more were rendered homeless and without resources. The remaining Consortia governments had to pull together for an enormous rescue and relief effort, and in the process millions of people were relocated to the Europa, Australarctic and Americas Consortia. Since Hanzi had already been taught as a second language for many decades in the majority of primary and secondary schools of these other Consortia, the displaced population were able to use their Hanzi skills to get along in ways that their native languages would not have served them. They could read and fill out forms, apply for services and receive aid using Hanzi, even in areas very far from their former homes.

Those who have read The Deacon's Tale will remember that the protagonist, Cai Rui, was orphaned in the aftermath of First Contact; his mother died in a refugee camp, after contracting pneumonia in the second winter after the attack. Our hero was originally from the Han Consortium, but was adopted by the Catholic Church and received most of his primary and secondary education in Europa, which is why he often thinks and programs his PDA in Latin. If he had been adopted by a branch living in the Americas Consortium, he would think, speak and write primarily in Spanish and English; if he had been been adopted by the African Consortium, he would speak and write Swahili and Arabic very fluently. If he had been taken to the Australarctic Consortium, his primary languages would be English and Malay. If he had remained Han, he would have learned to read, write, perform simple arithmetic and fill out all government forms in Hanzi, while speaking Mandarin at home with his mother and English when dealing with foreigners.

Hope this helps to clear things up somewhat. I sometimes think that people lose sight of the enormous political turmoil and reorganization which had taken place on Earth long before the Hivers showed up to kick over our sand castle. :wink:

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Return to “The Races”