The Hivers

All things Human, Hiver, Tarka, Liir, Zuul and Morrigi.

Moderator: Erinys

Sons of Skaro

Re: The Hivers

Post by Sons of Skaro » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:14 am

Yeah, you're right. Perhaps something like this written in a Hiver bio-wax:

Of course, this is Human Cruniform writing. However, if you consider Hiver physiology, their digits could do this in a wax-like medium quite nicely. A Hiver communities' walls could be covered in Brailie-like bumps and Cruniform-like depressions, but to the Human eye, it would simply look like patterns in stucco.
EXTERMINATE!

Golden Yak

Post by Golden Yak » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:19 am

Hivers do use scent as a part of their writing, though it might not be actual pheromones. The wiki indicates that they use scented scrolls and inks for such things, so I guess that answers the question of what Hivers might write on too. Scented writing seems to be mainly used for Tcho'to–ken, the royal Hiver language, so you probably wouldn't find something like that graffiti'd on an alley... or maybe not. A handful of something nasty smeared across a building to make a rude remark might be more common than one might think, although it probably wouldn't be written in royal...

Here's an interesting bit:

The Director of SolForce was given the gift of a folding screen made from Hiver "papyrus" and painted by a royal artist with a tcho'to–ken poem when the Human–Hiver peace treaty was signed, for example. In the two years that followed, the slow curation of the inks and dyes released a different fragrance every day.
Nerts to this space-crap!

Allattar

Post by Allattar » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:03 pm

Golden Yak wrote:
The Director of SolForce was given the gift of a folding screen made from Hiver "papyrus" and painted by a royal artist with a tcho'to–ken poem when the Human–Hiver peace treaty was signed, for example. In the two years that followed, the slow curation of the inks and dyes released a different fragrance every day.

Knowing the hiver,
Day one, Cheddar
Day two, Gouda
Day three, Munster....

1024 days of different cheeses fragrances....
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory
Every darn time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
shadow wolf wrote:Sorry to be so English.

Shatner

Post by Shatner » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:42 pm

Where were the crown jewels, whose return to Radiant Frost ended the Hiver Interregnum, found? What, if any, is the official cause of death of the Hiver Queen whose death caused the Interregnum (I think her name was Immaculate Pearl)? Do any sisters of Immaculate Pearl's still live?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:29 pm

All of that is a bit of a long story. ;) Some of the older generation of Princesses still live, but they are very old and have very few children of their own now. Radiant Frost does her best to care for them, although at least a few of them opposed Her ascension.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Shatner

Post by Shatner » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:01 pm

Erinys wrote:All of that is a bit of a long story. ;)

--Arinn

Would this bit of Hiver history be forthcoming in the SotS ][ manual? Alternatively (or additionally), can we anticipate any more book-length stories like The Deacon's Tale for SotS ][?

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:00 pm

Hmm. A question.

Is the clan of the reigning queen arranged differently than your average Hiver clan? I know that a Hiver queen has (technically) "dibs" on the top hiver princes, but how is her clan arranged to support the creation of new princesses and to keep tabs on the massive hiver empire? Not to mention enforce the queens dominion I guess.
Are Queen workers/warriors gifted above average (being bred from top of the line princes and a queen that fought her way to the top...I guess so?)

P.S: Is her hiver "harem" unusually large? If so, does it make any difference for how the clan in general is arranged?
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:31 am

A Queen is no different from a Princess in needing to be careful and wise in Her selection of mates. Princes are powerful political operators and siring the children of the reigning Queen is a potential powderkeg if She chooses the wrong male.

So far as the organization of clan goes: a Queen has very different needs than a Princess. She must have sons for personal security and political maneuvering--a contingent of warriors and Princes--but She also needs a large number of nurses that can help to raise and train Her daughters, and some of these will be inherited from the previous Queen or recruited from other clans.

In general a Queen will surround and protect Herself with very large, very powerful and elite warriors. Her mate will either be a long-term consort who aided in Her rise to power or a series of Princes whose services and loyalty She needs at the moment. If She attempts to keep too many in Her proximity at once, mayhem can assume. Friendships between Hiver Princes are not common, unless they are Father and Son. And Hiver males have a tendency to duel if they have to compete for political position and mating privileges.

--Arinn
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:58 am

I can see how her carefully prepared invasion time table might be wrecked by the shipyard clan's prince and the weapon production clan's prince having a duel to the death over who gets to sit closer to her at the feast.

How do the clans communicate with the queen? Do they each have a represenative in her court or does she just send gate mail?

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:54 am

Sevain wrote:I can see how her carefully prepared invasion time table might be wrecked by the shipyard clan's prince and the weapon production clan's prince having a duel to the death over who gets to sit closer to her at the feast.

How do the clans communicate with the queen? Do they each have a represenative in her court or does she just send gate mail?

The queen probably has a messenger/diplomatic corp.
It makes sense as the queen would want to visit to spread her pheromones and that would leave communication in her control instead of the control of the Princesses.
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:45 am

Hiver Queens are most definitely peripatetic rulers. The Queen and Her children travel often, precisely to prevent any rival Queens from developing; She also calls other females to court periodically.

--Arinn

The Magus
Doomsayer

Post by The Magus » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:01 am

I never thought about it that way, given that the whole Hiver political schema seems to be nothing but intrigue, distrust, and the game of thrones(as it were...), but does this mean that a Hiver princess could, on a deeply personal level, resent the presence of their own mother (or aunt or what have you) on a deep, personal level of being held back or stunted physiologically? Like every simple little visit, just a small one for even courtesy or however benign, and all that time spent away from the suppressive hormones goes WHAM! Out the door and your body never realizes its potential...
The teacher cut in smoothly, "Yes, of course. SolForce never fails to remind us how necessary they are to our...'survival'. ... It amazes me that the human race ever managed to exist, before you lot came along."

Cai Rui smiled thinly. "What amazes me is how quickly the human race could cease to exist, if we were gone."

--The Deacon's Tale

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:21 am

In a word--yes. That tension always exists when a Queen visits, or when Her representatives come to call and reek of Her suppressive pheromones.

--Arinn

Sons of Skaro

Post by Sons of Skaro » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:16 am

Could a counter-pheromone or chemical dispersant be developed and deployed as a means to distupt this influence, either by a rebel Hiver faction or by Hiver enemies?
EXTERMINATE!

Kimori

Post by Kimori » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:05 pm

If the Queen ever found out about such an effort, I imagine She wouldn't be too happy with whatever rebellious child had concocted it!

Time to send the fleets on a hive-stomping spree, yes?

Return to “The Races”