The Hivers

All things Human, Hiver, Tarka, Liir, Zuul and Morrigi.

Moderator: Erinys

Gryfalcon

Re: The Hivers

Post by Gryfalcon » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:37 pm

One of the innovative things that SotS did was to give each race a distinctive way to travel the galaxy. Giving Hivers the ability to travel FTL outside of the gate network (and Farcasters) removes this distinctiveness, so it's unlikely to ever be a feature of the game. Also, I'm pretty sure Mecron has said "Hell no" to this idea every time it has been raised in the past.
Summer grasses:
all that remain of great soldiers’
imperial dreams - Basho

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:24 pm

Penguins swimming is aided by the same principle that allows seagulls to fly...I am not sure we will be see penguins doing short glides anytime soon :thumbsup:

Rust

Post by Rust » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:38 am

Do you know, what Hivers and Zuul think about each other?
Race with matriarchy, and race, which despise their female.

Golden Yak

Post by Golden Yak » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:37 am

Well, the Zuul took the name of their leader, the Greatfather, from the Hivers name for their queen, the Greatmother. And they send princess skulls back to their princes as taunts. I imagine they don't like each other very much at all.
Nerts to this space-crap!

twentypence

Post by twentypence » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:18 pm

Mecron wrote:Penguins swimming is aided by the same principle that allows seagulls to fly...I am not sure we will be see penguins doing short glides anytime soon :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23qDl1aH9l4
(pretty old one now, but always brings me a smile)

With regard to the Light / Black Queens, are they considered something beyond understanding or are they depicted in a similar manner to human historical gods, with stories of their adventures?

If the latter could you give some examples of how Hiver art portrays them?

Shatner

Post by Shatner » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:11 pm

What is the in-game explanation for Hiver Gate Capacity? The justification for it as a game mechanic is very clear, but I'm wondering what a hiver gate technician would say if he were compelled to speak about the following:

If a fleet is going from system A to system B, why does having gates open in systems C, D, and E allow for more ship transit in total?

Why don't cruiser gates afford greater capacity than destroyer gates?

Why do larger ships eat up more gate capacity than smaller ships? (The answer to this could be the obvious one, but I ask in case it isn't...)

Beyond that, I have a few gate-related questions that aren't specifically about capacity.

Is there any travel time between a ship going in Gate A and coming out Gate B, or is it always instantaneous?

Why can a system only support one active gate at a time? I know it's tied to a gravity well but if System A can support a gate and has a gravitational force of X, why can't System B support two gates with its gravitational force of 2X? Alternatively, couldn't you put one gate on one side of a system and another on the opposite? Even if there is only the width of the star separating them, that'd still be quite a distance.

Thanks. Also, REALLY looking forward to the sequel. August (September?) can't come soon enough.

Kaan'Ish

Post by Kaan'Ish » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:02 pm

Shatner wrote:What is the in-game explanation for Hiver Gate Capacity? The justification for it as a game mechanic is very clear, but I'm wondering what a hiver gate technician would say if he were compelled to speak about the following:

If a fleet is going from system A to system B, why does having gates open in systems C, D, and E allow for more ship transit in total?

Why don't cruiser gates afford greater capacity than destroyer gates?

Why do larger ships eat up more gate capacity than smaller ships? (The answer to this could be the obvious one, but I ask in case it isn't...)

My personal understanding (which may be highly flawed :oops: ) is that it is a storage/processing issue. There must be some way of retrieving objects in gate transit, however that is done. Furthermore, with the omnidirectional travel capabilities of the network, the 'hooks' for any and all items in transit must be accessible to all gates simultaneously, and thus shared across the whole network. Intuitively, it seems right that in such a circumstance a larger network of gate relays, and concurrently higher data traffic, would allow for larger volumes of material to be transmitted. In effect, I view it as being a distributed 'brain' co-ordinating gate transit, akin to plugging multiple circuit boards into a computer to enable it to handle larger volumes of information.

This does, of course, hinge on the notion that hiver ships between gates are 'stored' among all of them before re-emergence, and furthermore, that each gate's contribution comes larger in the form of being able to provide a greater amount of 'memory' via the sensors/data processors/etc aboard each deployed gate vessel.

usermist2

Post by usermist2 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:38 pm

Hiver gates are the internet? (more computers sharing data = more information that can be retrieved from any single computer)

Things Go Better With C2H5OH.

Hari Seldon

Post by Hari Seldon » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:12 pm

Erinys wrote:Reading and writing tcho'to-ken as a linguist is much harder than either of the standard Hiver writing forms, but in some ways it is easier to understand than either of the others. The sweep of the brush, the interplay of color and the perfumes of ink and paper speak to the spirit as well as the mind, and often a sensitive person will receive a part of the message whether the words are consciously understood or not. The fact that tcho'to-ken glyphs are often combined with illustrations also helps! :)

Are those perfumes used to trigger emotions and memories and create a lasting impression whether or not the glyphs are consciously understood? Is tcho'to-ken translated not only to alien experiences of smell, but also individual experiences, so which memories and emotions recalled can be directed more precisely, and did the Hivers customize the art in that fashion when:
SotS 1 Wiki: Hiver Language wrote:The Director of SolForce was given the gift of a folding screen made from Hiver "papyrus" and painted by a royal artist with a tcho'to–ken poem when the Human–Hiver peace treaty was signed, for example. In the two years that followed, the slow curation of the inks and dyes released a different fragrance every day.

tcho'to-ken is so cool! 8)
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation

Unkn0wnx

Post by Unkn0wnx » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:11 pm

Anyone know if Silicoid queen is related to Hiver?

DervMan

Post by DervMan » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:14 pm

I seem to remember that there's speculation within SolForce that the two are related, but I have it in mind that the developers have written they aren't.

Of course, I'm frequently wrong about such things... ;)

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:50 am

No relationship. The Silicoid Queen and the Silicoids generally were engineered by an Elder Race.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

LucidFir

Post by LucidFir » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:02 pm

Not sure if this is healthy, I now -like- the Hiver voice acting. Been playing them quite extensively...

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:46 pm

*chuckles* It is healthy to have your own opinion, regardless of whether everyone agrees.

Like other aspects of Sword of the Stars, the voice-acting tends to get bashed because it is not what people expect. Anything that is unusual can create a strong negative reaction in some people.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

kettra

Post by kettra » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:03 am

Why I hate the Liir.
(Note: I play almost exclusively Hiver, so this may be a race/culture thing, I dunno.)

Short story: They're insane.

See, when I first got into SotS, I kinda believed that fluff about the Liir being pacifist, or nice, but man was I quickly disabused of this notion - it took me a little while to figure out not to use peaceful autoresolve with them, thanks in large part to their scout suicide attacks used to give them the handy excuse to go all crusader on me, but you know what ?

Try doing it manually.
After 2-3 turns of bobbing around doing mostly nothing but flying in circles, they suddenly and out of the blue go completely ax-crazy and attack for no explicable reason whatsoever.
Doesn't matter if you don't fight back, doesn't matter if you run away, or if you quite rightfully turn the hateful little geek into expanding plasma, no matter WHAT YOU DO, they'll scream Suulka and come baying for your blood, every single time.

What really drove it home was an early game where a small pack of Liir destroyers showed up at a world I was building those little defense stations on, seven up, three to go and they were out there just bobbing around in little circles and hey if the little voyeurs want to watch let them, right ?
Only soon they start moving in, all sneaky and roundabout like - worth a mention this was first contact - and I am like, heyyy, that looks like they're angling for that hole in the defensive ring!
They hadn't fired a shot, or done anything aggressive, but I decided enough was enough and sent in my destroyers to chase them away, which got there just as all five of them started dumping bioweapons in my atmosphere, unprovoked, on first contact.
And THEN had the nerve to scream at me and call Suulka on me for shooting them down AFTER they did this, like they had some kind of divine right to do it ?

This is on top of the virtual impossibility of being friends with them, since they're perfectly capable of just going gonzo out of the blue no matter how supposedly-friendly you are with them, and despite me having a leave-well-alone playstyle, it's always them which start it, always.
Compounded by them getting cruisers/light-emitter/bioweapons pretty early, side order of beam weapons quickly thereafter, game after game immediately dissolved into a slugfest of me trying to run my little ant colony while swatting off endless waves of psychotic tuna who've decided they just plain don't like me - nowhere is this more apparent than when they'll fly right past a lightly defended or even undefended world of someone they're at war with, that's right smack in their own climate hazard tolerance, in order to attack a world of mine that is both worthless to them and heavily defended, even if we're not at war - or rather, at war yet, cause it's kind of inevitable with them it seems.

To which my tactics involve immediately building the biggest nastiest fleet I can with several gates and tankers and flinging it at them right off, while building a second technologically improved fleet to glass their planet good and proper as soon as that gate gets set up, later rinse repeat, till there ARE no Liir.
What is decidedly ironic is how *happy* this seems to make every single other race, whether by virtue of also having to deal with them, being treated the same way, or out of respect for your militant mercilessness, generally everyone ELSE will leave you be for some time thereafter, if not want to engage you diplomatically.

And now that the awful truth of what the Suulka really are has come out, I am quite firmly convinced that the Liir hatred of them is every bit as much rooted in jealousy and envy as it is fear and rage, that in their dark little fishy hearts (or equivalent anatomy) they wish THEY were the top of the heap, and since they cannot admit it even to themselves they take this denial out on others in such a passive aggressive fashion.
The Black Swimmers take it beyond even that, being ax-crazy paranoid xenophobes of the worst variety, mixed with a rabid religious crusader mentality and none too particular about whether any party is actually Suulka or not so long as they have an excuse. :googly:

Given this, there's no particular reason not to engage in a little self-fulfilling prophecy here and plow them under immediately, especially since while they're insane they ain't exactly stupid, using their superior deep space engines to intercept and cripple the engines of your strike fleets, which is very frustrating for a Hiver - although our heavier and more durable ships stand to quite well against their cruisers, especially with reflective armor.

And now I must be off, the warriors are complaining about the percentage of fishmeal in their biomass allotment again, but as I always say, waste not, want not - at least they're good for SOMETHING.

-K

Return to “The Races”