The Tarkas

All things Human, Hiver, Tarka, Liir, Zuul and Morrigi.

Moderator: Erinys

Space Voyager

Re: The Tarkas

Post by Space Voyager » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:24 pm

Technotica wrote: now I am wondering, what would a reptillian race that breeds via eggs need breasts for? :P

:lol:

It is because I specifically asked for them. I like breasts.

:lol:

Kudos on observation, I never thought about that, I guess I like them too much to think they may be redundant in the artwork.
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

AlanF5

Post by AlanF5 » Mon May 10, 2010 9:29 pm

Am I totally mis-remembering things, or do tarka eggs grow a bit and young tarka "in the shell" require some feeding through an opening in the egg?
Download my zombie outbreak mini-sim: unfortunately, it's not Fort Zombie.

Winner of the "Guess what the zerker discs are an homage to?" race. (The Mandarin's ten rings)

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Mon May 10, 2010 11:57 pm

No, you are not misremembering. Tarka infants have the biological tendency to remain partially in the shell for two years after "birth", and they require a great deal of nurture.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

TriNova

Post by TriNova » Sun May 30, 2010 4:51 am

Given the Tarka honor system, what would they think of some of Earth's ancient honor systems? Especially since what you described sounds very similar to the Bushido code of the samurai.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sun May 30, 2010 5:15 am

Tarkas enjoy studying the cultures and literature of Humaanu, in particular the antiquities of our homeworld, and some of them take an interest in old Japan. In general, however, human "Honor" is a poor gloss for Tarkasian "Habas". When Bushido is explained, the Tarkas tend to chuckle and mutter "Var Stumpy takes himself much too seriously."

--Arinn
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Stratigo

Post by Stratigo » Sun May 30, 2010 8:43 am

Erinys wrote:Tarkas enjoy studying the cultures and literature of Humaanu, in particular the antiquities of our homeworld, and some of them take an interest in old Japan. In general, however, human "Honor" is a poor gloss for Tarkasian "Habas". When Bushido is explained, the Tarkas tend to chuckle and mutter "Var Stumpy takes himself much too seriously."

--Arinn

What about the idea of chivalry in western Europe?

Or the Dharma/Karma divide in the Indian subcontinent (Though Isuspect they do away with the religious nuances).

Or even something as silly as the Jedi Code :P

Coyote27

Post by Coyote27 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:08 am

Wasn't sure which race forum to post this in, so I'm putting it here since Tarkas have the fewest posts.

We know that the Morrigi have a neverending love for robotics, but how do the Tarka and other races use them, if much at all? Do any of them have ubiquitous robots that a reasonably well-off person can afford as a personal help, or are they mainly just for industrial/military uses? Do they function more or less independently or imitate their masters like in classic sci-fi from the old days, or are they more like the one-purpose contraptions as in our assembly lines today?
"In the absence of any orders, go find something and kill it." -Erwin Rommel

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:13 am

It's difficult to answer such a diffuse question. Even Hivers will use mechanical labor on the assembly line, when machines are capable of doing a better job than skillful hands. However, both Tarka and Hivers have built in social resistance to mechanical labor, precisely because non-mechanical Labor consciousness is so powerful within their societies, albeit in different ways. Both Hiver workers and Tarka working castes, different as they are, are determined not to allow themselves to become obsolete, and they take similar steps to limit the production of Working Machines. This being said, there are stories of "living steel warriors" during the Silver Imperium, and legend has it that suits of armor could walk, speak and fight as if they were living men and women. There are also vague rumors that some of the imperial families, members of the Kona caste, sometimes collect treasure troves of technology from ages past. *shrug* There might be a robot hidden in a royal family closet somewhere.

In terms of racial character, the Liir, Humans and Morrigi are the most likely races to develop robots with a wide variety of uses. Morrigi are the most likely to create helping machines that are so ubiquitous that anyone, regardless of status, might employ one. Non-elite Liir are much more likely to manipulate living things than to use mechanisms to achieve their ends.

--Arinn

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:27 pm

From the lifespan thread.

Erinys wrote:All joking aside, a normal Tarka would not eat a Hiver, or any other creature which was "konaaku"--made by the gods.

--Arinn

Konaaku?
That's a peculiar word. I presume it has the same root as the Kona used in Kona Lao, Var Kona and Kona Kai?
So "higher beings" or something like that? Or maybe "uplifted" or "Exalted"?

Also, am I mistaken when I detect a certain sarcasm in the Tarkasian use of Kona? I mean, while "urdu" is used in a very no nonsense meaning it seems that whenever Tarkans use "Kona" it's a very strange mix between utter reverence and sort of "mister fancypants" (ie, "the guy who has someone else doing all the work").
Kind of akin to the greek use of "philosopher"
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:05 am

fiendishrabbit wrote:Konaaku?
That's a peculiar word. I presume it has the same root as the Kona used in Kona Lao, Var Kona and Kona Kai?
So "higher beings" or something like that? Or maybe "uplifted" or "Exalted"?

Also, am I mistaken when I detect a certain sarcasm in the Tarkasian use of Kona?

Very perceptive. :)

--Arinn

Arathain

Post by Arathain » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:10 pm

So, we know that Changed males really don't get along with each other, and an instinctive level that seems very difficult to overcome. Presumably, many of the social structures of Tarkan society exist to prevent mature males from even being in the same building; in particular, his cadre of female handlers.

There must, however, be situations requiring a certain amount of co-operation between the Changed- I'm thinking in particular of the military. I imagine there would be a mature male at the head of a strikeforce, and commanding a dreadnought, where instant obedience from a large body of immature males would be highly advantageous. Military matters rarely allow for a consistent social structure to be maintained, in light of reinforcements, fleet merges, multi-DN fleets, that sort of thing. An inherent resistance to orders coming from the command vessel from a mature male on another ship could be fatal, as could taking the extra time to relay orders through layers of female intermediaries. How do the Tarka retain the advantage of having Changed males around while mitigating the drawbacks?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:17 am

Stereotypes of male behavior among the Tarka are very similar to the stereotypes of female behavior among modern-day humans. The "bickering/hormonal male" cliche is a social expectation, and lord knows that Tarka females do their best to encourage/create the dynamic to maintain their power. But the majority of males are wise to the gag to some degree, and increasingly so as they reach some level of personal maturity.

Beating your chest and strutting a bit to turn a woman's head and make her eyes glow red is one thing. Letting your emotions get in the way of your career or your military objectives is quite another. ;)

--Arinn

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:38 am

Erinys wrote:Stereotypes of male behavior among the Tarka are very similar to the stereotypes of female behavior among modern-day humans. The "bickering/hormonal male" cliche is a social expectation, and lord knows that Tarka females do their best to encourage/create the dynamic to maintain their power. But the majority of males are wise to the gag to some degree, and increasingly so as they reach some level of personal maturity.

Beating your chest and strutting a bit to turn a woman's head and make her eyes glow red is one thing. Letting your emotions get in the way of your career or your military objectives is quite another. ;)

--Arinn

So who is the Tarka God/Goddess of Subverting Expectations? :D
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:38 am

Sardo Kal, of course. :D One of hs many epithets is "the Unchanged", and his name, "Sar", typically implies lightness and agility rather than size and strength. The iconography of Father is actually very rare in depictions of the Tarka god of war, and his legend cycle often includes humorous tales of outwitting and outmaneuvering his opponents--including amorous and conniving women whose advances he nimbly dodges.

--Arinn

Arathain

Post by Arathain » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:30 am

"By contrast, other senior males become immediately hostile and competitive toward a male of their own stature, reacting automatically to every signal of maturity with anger. The rival’s voice, coloring, bearing and attitudes will be found offensive at an almost cellular level, and if the two are brought within range of one another’s pheromonal signatures, this effect increases many fold. Put two senior males into one room and a physical altercation is almost sure to result."

This was the quote that brought about the question. On thinking about it, I suspect I'm giving too little credit to Changed males- those who were exceptional members of the species in some way before the Change. Senior males are still as sentient and self-aware (if somewhat more hormonal in temperament) than previously. I would imagine in the military favoured males would be selected for good discipline as well as command ability.

Edit: it also occurs to me to question whether or not the Terran writer of the species brief got their information from talking to Tarkan females.

Return to “The Races”