The Tarkas

All things Human, Hiver, Tarka, Liir, Zuul and Morrigi.

Moderator: Erinys

fibio

Re: The Tarkas

Post by fibio » Sat May 07, 2011 8:50 pm

They just can't resist tinkering can they :roll: I wonder what mental pruning they might have also slipped in.
Buy my book - Six Seconds of Moonlight on the kindle store.

Anyone can be a god beneath the moonlight, but who can be a hero?

Golden Yak

Post by Golden Yak » Sun May 08, 2011 1:37 am

And we probably have our explanation for why Deacon was alive and kicking years after he should have died of old age.
Nerts to this space-crap!

Hari Seldon

Post by Hari Seldon » Fri May 27, 2011 9:58 pm

Should I call Tarka eggheads because their cranium is formed to take up maximum space at the inside tip of the egg?
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation

Rust

Post by Rust » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:35 pm

What military-perspictive have a Tarka-Human alliance? What war benefits they can give each other?

wingren013
Cassandra

Post by wingren013 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:02 pm

hyperdrive + node drive = space ferrari
The SOTS2 players guide: http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=43082&p=482769#p482769
Ultimate Enemy Mod: http://www.kerberos-productions.com/for ... 01#p499101
(I like line spacing, parentheses, and inter-sentence punctuation; deal with it)

blackstar

Post by blackstar » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:20 am

Wouldn't it be bad for the supreme commander to also be one of the nine emperors. That would make one of the emperors higher than the rest.

The_Unificator

Re:

Post by The_Unificator » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:16 pm

Erinys wrote:
Sevain wrote:What do Tarkas call their superiors if they aren't on friendly terms?

Referring to them by rank and surname is the norm. In an emergency, "kaan-dai" is addressed to the superior officer from whom you are receiving commands.

--Arinn

i recently begun a new game, this time playing as the tarka (for the first time) and i really like those guys and their ships, but something intrigues me ¿what it means Var Kona? i hear it in-game ¿is something like Supreme Commander?
An Argentinian SolForce Captain awaiting new orders

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:19 pm

Literally it means "Father of the Gods" or "Highest Father". Tarkas use the term to refer to the crown of a mountain peak.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

The_Unificator

Post by The_Unificator » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:33 pm

Erinys wrote:Literally it means "Father of the Gods" or "Highest Father". Tarkas use the term to refer to the crown of a mountain peak.

--Arinn

thanks for clearing that Arinn, now it makes sense, is a title of honor, like "commander" or "sir", at least that what i think

The_Unificator

Post by The_Unificator » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:54 pm

is posible a Human & Tarka marriage?, i mean a human male marries a female tarka, that can be interesting ¿how they respective societies would see the union?

is posible to them live without problems just like the star trek aliens?

Jeep-Eep

Post by Jeep-Eep » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:55 pm

The_Unificator wrote:is posible a Human & Tarka marriage?, i mean a human male marries a female tarka, that can be interesting ¿how they respective societies would see the union?

is posible to them live without problems just like the star trek aliens?

It had better be an open marriage, or traditional Tarka are going to think it very strange.

usermist2

Post by usermist2 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:05 pm

Erinys already answered a similar question, but basically it boils down to the Tarkans attitudes towards sexual relations (I assume that was where you were going with that question, anyways.) Tarkans really don't care (for the most part) about who sleeps with who as long as no reproduction is taking place. Since humans cannot impregnate Tarkan females (despite their looks), any sexual relations are not strictly taboo. Marriage as you understand it may not exist in Tarkan society. The clan cares for children, since there are so few reproducing males in proportion to potential mates. It would be ridiculous for one Changed Male to provide for and nuture his scores of children, after all.

Whether or not a human would marry a Tarkan female/unchanged male on a HUMAN world is a whole other kettle of Liir, and might be better asked in the Human thread if that was your intention.

Things Go Better With C2H5OH.

usermist2

Post by usermist2 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:55 am

What kind of professional sports do the Tarkans enjoy? We've already covered martial arts, but what about other pasttimes? Is there a Tarkasian equivalent to football (both kinds), bodybuilding (among the unchanged), etc.? Also, which sports are the gutter caste more interested in vs middle class / ruling class?

Things Go Better With C2H5OH.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:25 am

usermist2 wrote:What kind of professional sports do the Tarkans enjoy? We've already covered martial arts, but what about other pasttimes? Is there a Tarkasian equivalent to football (both kinds), bodybuilding (among the unchanged), etc.? Also, which sports are the gutter caste more interested in vs middle class / ruling class?

Tarkas will compete at virtually anything. They are excellent swimmers, divers, sailors, rowers, and fishermen; there are contests in all of these things, and on worlds that they share Tarkas and Humans have been known to compete in dragonboat races which are important to both cultures.

Tarkas also ride and perform tricks with a variety of trained beasts, especially in rural areas. Royal Tarka learn to use and compete with aircraft of various types. Tarkas of all castes participate in a variety of racing events, including races across open ground, races up and down a vertical course, and combination speed/obstacle events that involve speed in three dimensions, with long sections which are traversed by running, brachiation, crawling, and leaping.

The sporting event that traverses all castes is wrestling. By sacral tradition, caste is abandoned when wrestling combatants enter the ring, and all other niceties of the social order. The only thing that matters is weight class; if you tip the scales within a few kilograms of your opponent, it's on. Winner takes the prize.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

brisub

Post by brisub » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:52 pm

Is there a Tarka language primer? I love the Tarkas... If it's in the Deacon's Tale, I'll have it soon enough (Amazon's shipping it). I like being reminded that my word is law.
:sots1: Bri

How do I know I'm about to be annihilated? The turn count reaches 250...

Return to “The Races”