The Liir

All things Human, Hiver, Tarka, Liir, Zuul and Morrigi.

Moderator: Erinys

nickersonm

Re: The Liir

Post by nickersonm » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:33 pm

vaccum_pony wrote:beaching

Don't forget that with TK it's really easy to scramble ones own brains. No need for a slow death via natural forces.

ProjectLevyDelta

Post by ProjectLevyDelta » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:32 am

This quote came from a different Thread
GeorgeWhite wrote:not to mention 1 mind has better coodination then 1,000 smaller ones.

On this quote I am curious.. Nothing has been stated on the Black Swimmers aging themselves.

They are obviously still in space and obvious grow like normal, there genetics have not been altered in such a way that they do not grow anymore :?

So say a Liir has stayed alive for long enough time to grow to a size where it can no longer operate the vessel with other Liir as it about the size of the ship. Stating that they are the Black Swimmers and therefore I don't think they will go back to planet side as it will be difficult to hide the thought of what they have known and done in space for so long, it will also be hard to hide their rage for the Suulka.

So are they killed!? or are they given an entire vessel to themselves and if they live long enough will adventually grow to Great Elder size and be dawned with Armor like a Holy Paladin. Thus creating the equivalent to a "WhIte Lords" against the "Dark Lords" [suulka]

Gwenio

Post by Gwenio » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:40 am

ProjectLevyDelta wrote:On this quote I am curious.. Nothing has been stated on the Black Swimmers aging themselves.

They are obviously still in space and obvious grow like normal, there genetics have not been altered in such a way that they do not grow anymore :?

So say a Liir has stayed alive for long enough time to grow to a size where it can no longer operate the vessel with other Liir as it about the size of the ship. Stating that they are the Black Swimmers and therefore I don't think they will go back to planet side as it will be difficult to hide the thought of what they have known and done in space for so long, it will also be hard to hide their rage for the Suulka.

So are they killed!? or are they given an entire vessel to themselves and if they live long enough will adventually grow to Great Elder size and be dawned with Armor like a Holy Paladin. Thus creating the equivalent to a "WhIte Lords" against the "Dark Lords" [suulka]

Eh, they coulf likely be placed in a larger ship (CR / DN) so far as the time frame of SotS Prime goes as Liir do not grow that fast. It takes 250 years after adulthood to reach Elder status and at that point they are still only about 5 meters long (less that twice that of a adult). Too get too big to be on a ship would take quite a while.

And by SotS II there are Pester Zuul. Though I would suppose if they live long enough they might be able to rejoin society as they will be capable of hiding the thought (remember, the Black Swimmers learn of the Suul'ka from an Elder / Great Elder).

Amonkoth

Post by Amonkoth » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:23 pm

Question with spoilers:
So, if The Black was the living weapon used to defeat the Suul'ka, that would put him at least at 200 years old, probably older to be able to do actually defeat them.
Does that mean that he is potentially of comparable size to a Suul'ka and hence comparable psykic power?
This is of course assuming that The Black from the Lirrian Rebellion, is the same one as the player takes the place of in the games.

Sorry if this has already been answered, and thanks for your time.
Nolite Troglodytas pascere
There are some tunes you only whistle when you're alone in the dark.
--Arinn

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:05 am

Does that mean...?

Yes.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Amonkoth

Post by Amonkoth » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:09 pm

Oh...

Ohh...

Wow...
Nolite Troglodytas pascere
There are some tunes you only whistle when you're alone in the dark.
--Arinn

Arís

Post by Arís » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:11 pm

So, Some refer to the Liir as the most Alien Race, but i don't know, i can Connect to some facts, like going to war already dead, The way their young learn etc, much of theyr philosophy.

I just like them very much :D
How does Zuul engineering work anyways? We can't build a Battlebridge, we ran out of Liir skulls?

wingren013
Cassandra

Post by wingren013 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:05 am

why do the Liir have eyes if they perceive everything with tk? are they evolutionary leftovers or is the tk perception imperfect/limited?
The SOTS2 players guide: http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=43082&p=482769#p482769
Ultimate Enemy Mod: http://www.kerberos-productions.com/for ... 01#p499101
(I like line spacing, parentheses, and inter-sentence punctuation; deal with it)

ScoSteSal118

Post by ScoSteSal118 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:48 am

I thought it was echolocation, not tk, but in any case it seems to me that it would be a carryover from their land-dwelling days that didn't have enough selection pressure to disappear (that is, the resource cost to the organism of having it after being adjusted for whatever usefulness the eyes still have is still too small for natural selection to have a particular tendency away from eyes).

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:33 pm

The Liir can also see light and color. Sight is simply not their strongest sensory data field.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Glitch(TMG)

Post by Glitch(TMG) » Fri May 17, 2013 12:29 am

(I apologize if I am breaking some sort of ettiquette by posting in this old-game thread, or if I was supposed to post in a new members board first, or if I've made some other newbie mistake, please forgive me, I'm just trying to find a piece of lore-related info ^^; )

I've been working on a piece of Liir-centric fanfiction (psychicspacedolphinwhale-fan forever!) after finally acquiring and reading The Deacon's Tale, and while I thought myself familiar with lore and anatomy of Liir, there's one piece of info that has been eluding me, is not in any wiki or official lore compilation that I know of, and sitesearching this forum for keywords nor reading the first 15 pages of this thread (sorry, but 80 is a bit much to trawl through ^^; ) is not bearing any fruit.

My question(s) are, do Liir have a blowhole, and if not, do they breath through their mouths or some other part of their anatomy? And also, how long can they hold their breath? As for the first question, I did not want to actually assume that the Liir have a blowhole, because though they resemble Earth cetaceans, it is nothing more than a resmblance given that they are aliens and evolved on another world. The Hivers only look insectoid and their internals and respiratory system are nothing like insects, and the Tarka look reptillian but internally are closer to mammals, so I'm thinking it may not be likely the Liir have a blowhole (or if they do, it may not be located in the same place). And as for how long they can hold their breath, I also did some cursory research on Earth cetaceans just to see what the "earth baseline" was that I'd be comparing against (Most dophins and whales, interestingly enough, can only hold their breath for 15-30 minutes. I was surprised, I thought it was hours). Given that I was already wrong on earth creatures, making such an assumption about aliens is just a plain bad idea. |D (naturally, this is assuming the Liir does not try any clever tricks, like TK-ing an airbubble and pulling it down with them and breathing out of that or something)
Last edited by Glitch(TMG) on Fri May 17, 2013 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sayeth

Post by Sayeth » Fri May 17, 2013 8:53 am

Glitch(TMG) wrote:My question(s) are, do Liir have a blowhole, and if not, do they breath through their mouths or some other part of their anatomy? And also, how long can they hold their breath?

Welcome to boards! Firstly, it is kind of encouraged to use the Lore section for SotS2 as it is where most of the lore-discussions are going now.
As for your question, I beileve they do not have a blowhole, never have I seen one on any of the pictures posted by Kerbies. How long can they hold their breath will probably correlate similarily to Earth dolphins/whales.
"Life doesn't exist anywhere but Earth?"
That's like taking a cup of ocean water and saying there aren't any whales in the ocean.

Glitch(TMG)

Post by Glitch(TMG) » Fri May 17, 2013 8:25 pm

Al, alrighty. Hope no one minds if I just repost over there, then... (and yeah, I did notice it certainly doesn't look like they have any blowholes, but I wanted to be completely sure)

Return to “The Races”