Why Latin?

All things Human, Hiver, Tarka, Liir, Zuul and Morrigi.

Moderator: Erinys

Naja
Doomsayer

Why Latin?

Post by Naja » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:02 pm

I was always interested in why the Zuul's greatest "lesson" from ripping Humans was the Latin language.

I can see how some words ("imperator", "inquisitor", "dominus") would appeal to their sense of hierarchy. But many words, such as "veritas", seem to appeal to the Zuul as well.

Is there something about Latin that particularly resonates with Zuul culture, or the aims of GreatFather? How, if at all, has Latin changed Zuul society?

Slasher
Platinum Post

Re: Why Latin?

Post by Slasher » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:38 am

Perhapes it is related to the concept of religion? Since latin is usualy spoken by priests, the two concepts could easily have come from the same victim and thus be seen as related by the Zuul. Thus making the language almost divine...

Naja
Doomsayer

Post by Naja » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:57 pm

That would make sense.

The Zuul's patchwork theocracy takes a lot of influence from the Catholic Church.

Maybe there's a language divide on the basis of status as well? Latin for the Zuul might function as a sort of perverse Kona Kai, the language of the strongest imperators and inquisitors (the cardinals) who surround GreatFather (the Holy See).

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:00 pm

There are few languages that revolve quite as well around rank, place, absolutes, an yet subtle differences in near synonyms, as Latin.

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:00 am

I love the "predicted" use of Latin. There are discussions about using it as universal language today as well. People hate other living languages (nationalism) yet also don't like artificial languages. So taking a language that is dead but has a more or less glorious history and reviving it may yet happen and its use in The Deacon's Tale be proven prophetic... :thumbsup:
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:06 pm

Ms. Dembo is a genius :wink:

Arís

Post by Arís » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:29 pm

Space Voyager wrote:I love the "predicted" use of Latin. There are discussions about using it as universal language today as well. People hate other living languages (nationalism) yet also don't like artificial languages. So taking a language that is dead but has a more or less glorious history and reviving it may yet happen and its use in The Deacon's Tale be proven prophetic... :thumbsup:

Don't say that, everyones speaking English and the Effects are huge. I'm from germany and more and more of the daily spoken gets turned into English.

It's my case that I speak pure english roughly 30% of time, 60% of time an daily mix of german and english (sound kinda strange sometimes and older people struggle with that) and the rest 10% some kind of half-ancient pure german, mostly when doing work or discussion philosphy. The German Language truly loves philosphy :) And even stranger the talks with fellow musicians, german slang plus english technical terms about music.

Latin semms mostly like an artsy part or medical / technical terms. So this Matches the Zuul- some special Keywords marked as important cause they are in latin. Dominus just sounds more Epic like "Leader" or "Really big ones", using things just beacause they are epic matches the Zuul.
And this is something i belive to be ralistic, the future human using latin to mark something historrically, dependet on rank or officially-sounding in using latin.
How does Zuul engineering work anyways? We can't build a Battlebridge, we ran out of Liir skulls?

Return to “The Races”