The Morrigi

All things Human, Hiver, Tarka, Liir, Zuul and Morrigi.

Moderator: Erinys

RELee

Re: The Morrigi

Post by RELee » Thu May 19, 2011 12:15 pm

Erinys wrote:Male Morrigi ancestors are "Gerontoi".

Every time this line gets posted I read it as, "Male Morrigi ancestors are "Geritol."

Aging myself, I know. :?

I think I'll go watch me some Liberace and Lawrence Welk now. Let me just get up and walk over to the TV and change channels and adjust the rabbit ears a mite.

Sorry for the non-sequitur. I'm loving the thread, but I just couldn't let it pass without posting my difficulties.

wingren013
Cassandra

Post by wingren013 » Mon May 23, 2011 5:00 pm

What if the Suul'ka demanded the Morrigi's surrender. Then the Morrigi refused; and the Suul'ka, being sociopaths, decided to slaughter the civilian population of conquered Morrigi planets until they surrendered. The slaughtered civilians were refered to as screamers because of the psychic death shrieks caused by so many psions dying at once. This could be the Great Shame.

Also on a side note: could someone clarify the timeline in respect to the time between the decline of the Ancient Morrigi and the Liirian bioweapon attack
The SOTS2 players guide: http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=43082&p=482769#p482769
Ultimate Enemy Mod: http://www.kerberos-productions.com/for ... 01#p499101
(I like line spacing, parentheses, and inter-sentence punctuation; deal with it)

Gakl

Post by Gakl » Mon May 23, 2011 8:30 pm

Not that I'm an authoritative source, but I believe the timeline between decline and the liir bioweapon would be measured in thousands of years (or at least a couple thousand).
-Do you ever feel a strong need to press F9 to end your turn?
Sounds of my current project: http://soundcloud.com/leopardmerkin/sets/basement/
Black Science -- http://www.myspace.com/blacksciencemusic
An Echo Through The Eyes of Forever (2012)
Cosmodemonic & Beyond (2010)
A New Mastery of Light (2008)
-- Download here --
Image Image Image

wingren013
Cassandra

Post by wingren013 » Wed May 25, 2011 1:30 am

if that is true then the suul'ka had thousands of years to develop their tech, it seems weird that the liir could kill them easily.
The SOTS2 players guide: http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=43082&p=482769#p482769
Ultimate Enemy Mod: http://www.kerberos-productions.com/for ... 01#p499101
(I like line spacing, parentheses, and inter-sentence punctuation; deal with it)

patton1942

Post by patton1942 » Wed May 25, 2011 2:35 am

of course, the Liir has just as much time to tailor make their virus.
Mecron on Rebellions: "hell no, we won't go!" becomes "Holy crap! We don't wanna glow!"
Here be pirates

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed May 25, 2011 5:13 am

The Suul'ka did not cause the decline of the Morrigi civilization from its height. That was a slow process which took thousands of years.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Wed May 25, 2011 10:11 am

If i recall correctly, the golden age of the Morrigi ended about 15 millenia ago, while the whole Suul'ka-affair was within the last 2-3 centuries, with the "living weapon" around 120 years prior to SotS1.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

Gakl

Post by Gakl » Wed May 25, 2011 6:11 pm

wingren013 wrote:if that is true then the suul'ka had thousands of years to develop their tech, it seems weird that the liir could kill them easily.

The answer to how long the Suul'ka had to develop their technology is up in the air. It could have been many millennia, or perhaps they're the ultimate expression of the "savage children" -- a younger, supremely creative and destructive civilization (if it is even a "civilization" as we would know it). I think, we simply don't know. As Arinn has stated, the appearance of the Suul'ka was a Black Swan (or Out-of-context problem, for Iain Banks fans), as apparently was (the fortuitous) stumbling upon the high tech dustling civilizations...

At the moment, I'm not sure whether to envision the Suul'ka as an unthinking threat, such as Alastair Reynolds' Inhibitors or something post-corporeal/transcended Cthulhu-like menace... At the moment, I'm betting on tentacles. :mrgreen:
-Do you ever feel a strong need to press F9 to end your turn?
Sounds of my current project: http://soundcloud.com/leopardmerkin/sets/basement/
Black Science -- http://www.myspace.com/blacksciencemusic
An Echo Through The Eyes of Forever (2012)
Cosmodemonic & Beyond (2010)
A New Mastery of Light (2008)
-- Download here --
Image Image Image

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Wed May 25, 2011 6:30 pm

Given the Morrigis reaction to those that grew up in space, i've been wondering on who lives in the habitat stations?
They seem a bit odd when keeping their culture in mind...
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

nickersonm

Post by nickersonm » Wed May 25, 2011 6:50 pm

I would assume non-travelling males (perhaps temporarily). If the birth rate is anywhere within an order of magnitude of an even male:female ratio, there's bound to be a bunch of surplus males. Spaceships can't hold a lot of population compared to billions on the planets.

WarpObscura

Post by WarpObscura » Thu May 26, 2011 2:27 am

So... if male ancestors are Gerontoi, what are the female ancestors known as?

o_o

Post by o_o » Mon May 30, 2011 5:45 pm

Are Morrigi players going to be able to surpass the tech level and power of the old empire at its zenith in sots2? Or is this already possible in sots prime?

I'm interested in seeing where the old empire would fall on the current tech tree. Since grav/meson chances are so highly favorable for the Morrigi, I always thought that those were probably the mainstay of their ancient empire. Thus, it would seem that the sots prime tech tree only ends at what was standard ancient tech. Then again, maybe I'm looking into it too much.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Mon May 30, 2011 10:25 pm

It is not possible in SotS Prime. It may be possible at some point during the arc of SotS 2. :)

--Arinn
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

jad4400

Post by jad4400 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:43 am

Do morrigi females have any formal titles, i know that it is the males the lead, but among the females who stay planet side, do they have any kind of leadership positions or any positions of authority?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:50 am

Absolutely.

The leader of a Morrigi planet is known as the "De Meter", Mother of the World. "Meter" in general is a respectful term, and small children will address their female parent as "Mete", "Mommy", but as an adult when addressing the woman who actually gave birth to you, you generally call her "Delphyne", "Womb".

When addressing any powerful land-holder, the proper term of respect is "Kthonia", "She Who Holds Rights to the Land". If you wish to be respectful to a Morrigi woman but you are not certain whether you are within territory that she owns, you could use the generic "Anaxa", "Regal Lady". A woman who is older than you are is "Semne", "Revered One". A priestess can be "Hagnia", "Holy One". If she has prophetic powers, she may be a "Pythia", "Oracle" or "Prophetess".

Women who excel in building and manufacturing are typically called "Technea", "Mistress of Work". In sciences there are many titles, but the most common is "Phosphora", "Light-bringer".

When addressing any woman who outranks her within the tribe, a Morrigi girl would address her as "Megale" ("Greater-than-I"). A tribal leader is usually "Potnea" ("Queen"), although this term is tricky, as it is also used of Goddess figures. In the court of law, a tribal leader is addressed as "Thesmia", "Law-giver".

Finally, a woman with a particularly powerful feminine Glamour is called Daimea, "Terrifying One".

Hope that helps! :D

--Arinn

Return to “The Races”