The Morrigi

All things Human, Hiver, Tarka, Liir, Zuul and Morrigi.

Moderator: Erinys

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Re: The Morrigi

Post by Erinys » Sun May 08, 2011 4:53 am

WarpObscura wrote:Not that gigantic a gap then.

No, not gigantic. But significant, and sometimes pesky. It was hundreds of years before someone followed da Vinci's instructions closely enough to realize that one of his machines would actually fly. The fact that the ancestors were more advanced, and that Morrigi worlds were so completely destroyed in the war, makes things much more difficult.

They make the mistake of underestimating "lesser races'" ability to progress, then.

Who was asking about Black Swan events earlier? ;)

What is the Morrigi view on sacrificing the self for others?

Morrigi are more than capable of it, but the trick is which "others" are worth sacrificing oneself for. Brothers in arms, wives, those you are sworn to protect? Absolutely.

Random strangers, for the sake of some general ideal of compassion? Absolutely not.

What does a Morrigi bridge look like? Do all the officers, insofar as we use the term, curl around pillars like we might sit and look at consoles or displays?

Essentially.

What terms do the Morrigi use when speaking of their ancestors? Ancient Brethren? Exalted Ancestors? Something else?

Male Morrigi ancestors are "Gerontoi".

If first contact with a starfaring civilisation is necessary, how do they go about it?

Depends on the circumstances. Many options are possible. Keep in mind that Morrigi are exceptional diplomats, however, and seldom meet anyone that they haven't had the chance to study at least somewhat first.

What full name conventions do they use? Do they use surnames or patronyms? Otherwise, how do they distinguish, say, Temujin A from Temujin B the way we distinguish John Smith son of Bob from John Buck son of David?

Morrigi are typically named by a triune formula of Name + Epithet + Planet of birth.

Atreus the Bloody of Xhalai, as distinguished from Atreus the Honey-Tongued of Thiva.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Katafentain

Post by Katafentain » Tue May 17, 2011 4:10 am

A newly founded colony, has a supply ship arrive to drop off that years/months supplys, when you arrive the colony is destroyed. Upon investigation you find out that it was just a natual disaster and not an an enemy attack, in searching for survivors they find a few eggs, a very young male and female, and a few children whose sex isn't yet determined. Outside of these there are no other survivors. Lets presume that they have about a year before they will arrive back to another planet.

So my questions are:

Will the male crew know how to care for the eggs? If they do know, is it more akin to basic idea of what needs to be done or full knowledge of what needs to be done?

Would they adopt and train the young male child, who is of no clan relation or would they instead start his training until they run across a ship of his clan, and transfer him over when possible?

What of the young female child and the children whose sex is yet to show itself, how would they handle this situation?

If the young female wishes to stay, because of a fear of being back on a planet for what just happened to her, how much will the males try to persuade her to go planetside when they arrive?

If these are answered before sorry for posting but its been about a year since I read from beginning to end on the Morrigi.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Tue May 17, 2011 4:42 am

Katafentain wrote:Will the male crew know how to care for the eggs? If they do know, is it more akin to basic idea of what needs to be done or full knowledge of what needs to be done?

Absolutely. Even if they have no experience, there are books. More than one platoon of soldiers has raised a camp brat over the millenia of human history--Morrigi are no different. ;)

Would they adopt and train the young male child, who is of no clan relation or would they instead start his training until they run across a ship of his clan, and transfer him over when possible?

If the children are both sufficiently fledged to determine sex, they are no longer eggs but children at least 2-3 years old. If they really both were newly-hatched infants, sex would be undetermined until after at least two or three years had passed. By the time the children had spent two-three years being raised in space and their biological traits had manifested with the third Molting, they would both be Travelers for life. The girl would be permanently physiologically changed.

What of the young female child and the children whose sex is yet to show itself, how would they handle this situation?

She would live as a Traveler, regardless of biological sex. Likely she would only be half-again larger and stronger than the average male, and very resistant to feints based on the Glamour. A dangerous opponent, but she would never be a "woman" under Morrigi gender norms...and she would be unable to return to the ground without Ascension armor.

--Arinn

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Tue May 17, 2011 9:27 am

Erinys wrote:[...] she would be unable to return to the ground without Ascension armor.
When you say permanent physiological changes you really do mean permanent physiological changes? Is the return impossible due to physiology or culture?

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue May 17, 2011 10:28 am

Both. Living in space during development years would have a profound effect on the metabolism of a human, let alone a Morrigi.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Gakl

Post by Gakl » Tue May 17, 2011 8:30 pm

Chances are any child born in space -- or that has developed for any significant time in a low-gravity environment would not be able to live on earth without some sort of assistance. Low gravity environments can cause muscle and bone to atrophy significantly--if they never lived in a high gravity environment, it's likely that the body would never be able to exist in a high gravity environment like a planet's surface without mechanical support.
-Do you ever feel a strong need to press F9 to end your turn?
Sounds of my current project: http://soundcloud.com/leopardmerkin/sets/basement/
Black Science -- http://www.myspace.com/blacksciencemusic
An Echo Through The Eyes of Forever (2012)
Cosmodemonic & Beyond (2010)
A New Mastery of Light (2008)
-- Download here --
Image Image Image

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed May 18, 2011 12:55 am

Indeed. Morrigi have some technologies which help to compensate for the effects, but there is no way to avoid them.

--Arinn

Gakl

Post by Gakl » Wed May 18, 2011 6:21 am

Of course, I always imagined that any sufficiently advanced civilization would have some sort of genetic manipulation via nanobots that introduced metals (in a non-reactive form!) and other supports into one's bones and muscle fibers, and manipulated gene switches to modify cell functions and give the user more macro control over the microscopic. Nor do I imagine high tech ship bridges to look anything like a modern command deck...maybe I'm thinking advanced anti-matter level technology. =)

Anyhow, I doubt such a process would be terribly pleasant -- probably high fevers, sweats, aches during the process of adapting oneself...but with advanced information technology, combined with nanotech and biology...what can't you do??! :)
-Do you ever feel a strong need to press F9 to end your turn?
Sounds of my current project: http://soundcloud.com/leopardmerkin/sets/basement/
Black Science -- http://www.myspace.com/blacksciencemusic
An Echo Through The Eyes of Forever (2012)
Cosmodemonic & Beyond (2010)
A New Mastery of Light (2008)
-- Download here --
Image Image Image

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed May 18, 2011 7:30 am

Gakl wrote:Anyhow, I doubt such a process would be terribly pleasant -- probably high fevers, sweats, aches during the process of adapting oneself...but with advanced information technology, combined with nanotech and biology...what can't you do??! :)

It isn't, and it is very hard on children in particular. Regardless, though, no matter what you do to try and compensate for the negative effects of living in space, you cannot reproduce the positive effects of growing up in full gravity and atmosphere/biosphere.

--Arinn

nickersonm

Post by nickersonm » Wed May 18, 2011 8:05 am

Were Golden Age Morrigi able to use their mastery of gravity manipulation to provide artificial gravity fields of planetary strength inside ships, to avoid some of those negative affects? Or, even if it was possible, did they prefer to follow the ancient customs built up before that possibility?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed May 18, 2011 6:02 pm

Morrigi ships do have artificial gravity capability when desired, but it is not identical to the effects of living in a real naturally occurring gravity well.

--Arinn

kdonovan

Post by kdonovan » Wed May 18, 2011 10:35 pm

Couldn't larger ships and stations simply be rotated fast enough to compensate?

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu May 19, 2011 12:19 am

How's that huge system of ringed space stations going that we have been building since the 70's? ;)

Zalzidrax

Post by Zalzidrax » Thu May 19, 2011 3:04 am

The stealth systems are working great! :thumbsup:

Err... I mean what?

WarpObscura

Post by WarpObscura » Thu May 19, 2011 4:29 am

Erinys wrote:
What terms do the Morrigi use when speaking of their ancestors? Ancient Brethren? Exalted Ancestors? Something else?

Male Morrigi ancestors are "Gerontoi".

How about female ancestors?

Also, have we covered anything about Morrigi Art and Literature, Courtship and Family and Religion, or is it all in this thread but just disorganised? I wandered through the wiki page recently and noticed that we don't seem to have compiled those three pages, unlike with the other races, and The Races -- Compared hasn't been touched up to deal with the Morrigi and Zuul (okay, there's some of this, but incomplete) either.

Return to “The Races”