Remembrance Day

Listen! Then come talk to us!

Moderator: Erinys

Mecron
Kerberos

Remembrance Day

Post by Mecron » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:57 pm

Tomorrow is Remembrance Day in much of the former British Empire and Veterans day for our American cousins. Hopefully many of us will take a moment to remember and pay our respects to those who sacrificed everything to preserve the freedoms we all enjoy. Tomorrow, especially in this moment where Democracy is not looking its most healthy, there will be a lot of speeches about war and sacrifice and what is owed to the past.

But I would suggest that we also take a moment and think about what is owed to the future.

We are about to enter an era where strength will be worshiped above empathy. Where furious emotion will be applauded over logical thought. And where the individual will be in constant danger from the abusive mob. Many of our friends South of the border are shell-shocked and scared by what has occurred, but I would ask that we all remember that nothing good comes without some kind of fight. That if you want a better world, its time to get our hands dirty. That the internet is a powerful thing but it will never replace voices in the street calling out in unison.

In the days and years to come, do not let go. Be vigilant and be prepared to sacrifice for a better future. NO ONE IS ALONE IF WE DECIDE TO STAND WITH THEM. Keep your ears to the ground. Listen when a woman is being abused by her boss. When a black kid is beaten by a cop. When a transgendered person is humiliated out of a bathroom. When an immigrant family is hounded out of their apartment. Listen. See when it happens. And stand with those people and for those people. Yes, it will be rough. Especially at the start. But honor our fallen veterans by standing up for the world they were trying to preserve. This is your time. This is the time to stand up for each other. To be the loud voices in the street. To be the inconvenient gathering in parks. To let anyone who thinks otherwise that we are not done with the greater good. That we have more to offer than facebook musings.

That we remember the fallen and have learned the best lessons from the warriors who saved the past.

That we know what is worth any sacrifice.

That we care for each other.

And we are not afraid.

Thank you,

--Martin E. Cirulis
CEO/Creative Director
Kerberos Productions

Torezu

Re: Remembrance Day

Post by Torezu » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:21 pm

Well said.

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:05 pm

Thanks for writing this. As someone who lives in the middle conservatives counties and seeing from first person viewpoint this ship of strength worship over empathy and of anger over reason... I thank you for writing this.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:49 pm

Amen.
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:37 pm

Words to live by... :thumbsup:
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

cuquito

Post by cuquito » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:45 pm

they gave it all , thank you and rest in peace
Encountersuitic Pelvic Thrust...... 96% of sheridan, kosh talks .......

Defenestar

Post by Defenestar » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:48 pm

Well put.

Svankensen

Post by Svankensen » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:21 am

I don't usually like days like Remembrance Day because they are commonly used to endorse the military in a mindless way, as if every fight was legitimate. I live in Chile. A country were the military has been used to kill civilians or to fight wars for land with our neighbors for the last 200 years. I was born in a dictatorship (CIA backed, by the way). I have friends orphaned by that dictatorship. I have seen the father of my best friend breakdown recalling the literal tortures he was subjected to. Rape, rats eating his fingers, electrocution. There is little love lost between me and the military. Even in the best cases, I'd say no military, from any country, has always been in the right side, fighting for the common good. But this kind of message makes me remember that many fights have been for the common good. That we should carry that fire. Not (neccesarily) the military one, but the will to stand up against tragedy and injustice. Be active in the defense of whats fair.

But remember, these fights are for the minds of people. While bold action may be called upon at some point, you must go for the heart and the mind in your day to day lives. Don't shame those that are prejudiced. Argue with them. Share your perspective, don't fight theirs. Because when you fight someone, they close up. The guy who won did so for a reason. Because we have been shaming those who think different, to the point they don't even speak up. Have you seen all the hate thats been coming out these days? Its because it was bottled up for decades. Dialogue had grinded to a halt. If the right point of view can't sway a mind, then it probably isnt right. So prove its right. Try to understand where the other guy is coming from, and kindly point out his mistakes. Be empathetic, not smug. Most people is not evil or cruel. Just misguided, ignorant. Dont be the fire thar burns, unless there is no other choice. Hate breeds hate. Be the fire that illuminates.

cuquito

Post by cuquito » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:34 am

very well said svankensen .

a saying from mexico "Entre los individuos, como entre las Naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz"

in English it translates roughly to "between the individuals as in nations, respect for the others´ rights is peace"

Svankensen

Post by Svankensen » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:58 pm

cuquito wrote:very well said svankensen .

a saying from mexico "Entre los individuos, como entre las Naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz"

in English it translates roughly to "between the individuals as in nations, respect for the others´ rights is peace"

Thanks Cuquito. I stumbled into this article today, seemed relevant.

Research says there are ways to reduce racial bias. Calling people racist isn’t one of them.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:38 pm

Please continue this aspect in another topic. Remembrance Day is also about the price that was paid by many countries for allowing Fascism to grow out of control and the terrible price of feeding it with appeasement.

Svankensen

Post by Svankensen » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:53 pm

My apologies if I was disrespectful. Didn't intend to hijack the thread. Thanks for your words Mecron.

cuquito

Post by cuquito » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:57 pm

likewise , im sorry if i was disrespectful. not intended . thank you Mec

FireStorm20

Post by FireStorm20 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:44 am

Thank you for writing this.

In my country, Poland, atm I see very troubling signs and I hate what the gouverment is doing. Its just like you wrote, worshiping of strength, xenophobia, lack of empathy, populism and in all this alot of hypocrisiy. They are passively supporting the extreme right nationalisits. And a lot of poeple love this. But i dont see my country as unique, something wrong seems to be happening all over the world. I honestly dont understand when the world has started going bad, it all looked so much better in the 90s when i was entering my adult life...
Faded steel heat

Return to “Discuss”