Putting Things Right...

Talk about all things to do with the sequel to our flagship 4X title.

Moderator: Erinys

Blazer
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Re: Putting Things Right...

Post by Blazer » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:27 am

Just another "old timer" who wanted to add a voice of support. I've always believed in Kerberos and this franchise. Mecron and the team will weather the storm.
Pro Bono Populi

"I am constant as the northern star..."

Spitz

Post by Spitz » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:31 am

That was what I've been waiting to hear. Your apology is accepted, thank you.
Contritionem praecedit superbia et ante ruinam exaltatur spiritus.

Trin

Post by Trin » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:35 am

And finally, if you are in the camp that still feels robbed by the time you have reached this point of my post I can only offer what I can. We are fixing it and we need folks to either cheer, step aside or get out of the way cause vitriol is not going to help right now. If you demand a refund then I completely understand and you can be assured, the cost of that will make it directly to us. We will feel your "voting with your dollars", you can be sure about that and we accept that as fair play. On the other hand, if a free copy of the orginal SotS will help tide you over while we get this game shined from turnip to jewel, then please write to "contact@kerberos-productions.com" and we will set you up.

I don't feel robbed and am not going to be demanding a refund, can I still have a free game? I like free things!

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:35 am

GP...thats a good question and I really appreciate how it was asked. For my sake of mind I would like you to wait a week or so if you really feel the need to have it. Otherwise if you can await the all clear signal then that might be best for your satisfaction rating.

Turiel, Tundra and apprentice....Sorry, there is no "judging" going on here, only progress. Whole pages and pages of judging has come and gone. You are smart people. You saw the posts leading up. You can imagine people working frantically to make sure things were there and then watching things break. You have seen my post about having to keep some things back and you can see the time stamp on it. You have my explanation of who chose stability over feature and then saw that stability blown to pieces by everything that could go wrong going wrong over 24 hours. The ratios of what caused this are at the start of my post, and others have given you their insights. NO ONE is lying and everyong from Paradox to Arinn to myself have given you insights above and beyond the corporate recomended detail level you get from publishers charging you 50% more for gameplay hours you can count on one hand.

You have my regrets. my responsibility and you have my promise that things will be fixed.

Everything else is drama and there is no time for that right now at least from us.

And to the rest of you, thank you for the kind words...they are worth more right now than any "money grab" could hope to achieve.

stopgap

Post by stopgap » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:38 am

Mecron, your apologies are appreciated. However, I think all of us will want further explanation as time goes on. Additionally you have my best hopes for the future of you, your employees, your company, and the game we all hope to play.
Last edited by stopgap on Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Veni Vini Vici

Unwashed_Pleb
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Unwashed_Pleb » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:39 am

G P wrote:So Mr Mecron for those of us who didn't buy the game already when would be the best time?

I plan to buy when the game is finished certainly, but would getting it now help in any way or am I best waiting a month or two, i'm honestly not too fussed about doing it either way.

the answer is... Now.

Why? because not only will you experience the development -first hand- (something extremely rare for us fans), but you will be able to support the company, and get plenty of experience for when the game is not a tetris apocalypse
Plebeian. Adj.
1. Of, belonging to, or characteristic of commoners.
2. Unrefined or coarse in nature or manner; common or vulgar: plebeian tastes.

Unwashed. Adj.
1. Unclean
2. Plebeian: the unwashed masses.

Commisar

Post by Commisar » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:44 am

bravo Mecron, for being man enough to not only being able to own up to your mistakes, but for being able to promise to set things right. I played Sots 2 this weekend, and while it was pretty buggy, I had a LOT of FUN with it even in its buggy state :D I can't wait for the updates, the game looks amazing, and i am sure kerberos will right the missteps of the last few days. Also, it could be ALOT WORSE, just look at Elemental: War of Magic for an example of how bad it could have been :shock:
FOR THE EMPURAH!!!! ONWARD SPESS MARINES - A poorly chosen voice actor

Will the Great

Post by Will the Great » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:46 am

*puts on his Video Game Journalist hat*

Mecron wrote:First of all the bad news...Thanks to various factors we are now sitting on top of a pile of blown apart code and unstable features. The first thing you can expect though is stability. There will be an update tomorrow which will set right much of the chaos created friday in terms of crashing and keeping you from playing that game. What it WON'T do is magically add back in every piece of functionality. Gods know I wish that I had that magic wand but the reality is that path leads to more chaos and more broken gameplay sessions. Remember that part where I mentioned making the hard calls? This is another one of those. As much as the team wants to throw themselves at this like crazy people, I am not going to ok that. Instead we will go about this in a relatively sane and orderly fashion with regular updates that make sure everything that goes back in is as stable as possible before you see it. Oh I am sure some stuff will leak through, but at least that will be dealt with quickly and cleanly. Sorry to just put the hard facts to you straight without flowers but I think we are somewhat past the flowers make it all better stage of this relationship ;)

Apologies for the bold/large font here Mecron, but I want to make sure this gets spotted:

So that everybody's clear, do you mean to say that the current state of Sots2 is due not to an incomplete release build, but a result of a beta build being uploaded to Steam in lieu of a complete, fully-functional build, and the current difficulties stem from some kind of inability to tear down the beta and replace it with the full build?

In other words, is there, somewhere on a hard drive in KP's offices, a fully-functional, complete build of Sots2?

Finally, can we expect to see a list of features that are currently absent but will be, as you say, "added back in" over the course of these next few weeks? If so, when, and if not, why not?

*takes off Video Game Journalist hat*

Having said that, it takes a lot of balls to get up in front of an angry mob and take responsibility for a snafu, especially one of this magnitude. Some might say that's your job as CEO, and it is, but that doesn't make it any less difficult. For what it's worth, you and Kerberos continue to have my respect and admiration, both as video game developers and as outstanding people in general.

I know a lot of media outlets like to jump on a bandwagon when a company messes up like this and then fail to report when things get turned around for the better- see the EVE Online "Monoclegate" scandal for a recent example. Once there's a clear narrative established here, I'll see about penning something for HG, though to be perfectly honest my site is in worse condition than the Sots2 build these days.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:46 am

trin lol the brightness you brought to my day with that is well worth a freebie. Go ahead and tell caste I sent ya :P :thumbsup:

Orzelek

Post by Orzelek » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:59 am

Thanks for the info and a solid plan.
Make sure that you all get enough sleep.. 50 hour marathons are bad in S/W development.

I'd love to get info how all this happed - I'm curios also from professional point (Software Engineer here).
Did this mess had something to do with Independent factions?

Jarix

Post by Jarix » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:05 am

Thank you so much for the info.

Rooting for you and the whole team to get through this.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:07 am

sigh...really wanted to avoid this and to also put on MY old journalist hat, this is why companies issue press releases instead of talking to people...cause invariably its never enough. ;)

No Will, what you have is a version in the KP office that would have gone out clean where you would have played with relatively few crashes and then gone...hmm this things doesn't seem to be there...or why is my options not working (something I warned about early as I saw it being unavoidable) ...'cause BEHIND that version is a version where trying to do those things caused cascade errors that devoured the last few days of "finishing up". What went out was the "ok lets test the crap out of this and pin down the last dozen crashes" that testers were busting their beaks on thursday. When you combine that with 2 released bases...the word chaos is very purposely chosen.

As for a list...short version...everything we wanted. No offence but as you might imagine I have a WHACKLOAD to do right now. And if given a choice between my charming posts or putting things back on track...I suspect people have seen 2 more posts from me in this topic than they wanted. Won't lie, gonna be scarce for the next while cause one of my "what went wrong" isms was looking at how many utterly pointless posts I made over the past 3 weeks when I definetly needed my head elsewhere.

(orz, a bit but closer to my hesitating to cut sooner in order to save the patient...one bleeder taking much needed attention to other things that were on sched etc etc and by the time you look up the patient is trying to get out of wheelchair as the stitches give....look to the last 2 percentages of the perfect storm listing)

Unknown Pwn

Post by Unknown Pwn » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:09 am

Mecron.....

......I am so disappointed in you right now.

I'm too proud of you and the team to shame you in public.

Its just as well I wasn't chosen for the beta because I would have raised a shit-storm

SleepyCanuck

Post by SleepyCanuck » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:18 am

Hello ... I appreciate your forthrightness regarding the current release of SotS 2.

I am brand new to the SotS game-verse but it is obvious from what is there that this will be worth the wait.

This is kind of like my first flight on a jet plane: because of bad weather I spent 4 hours waiting to take off while the wings were de-iced ... but once we took off it was pretty cool. ;)

So at this point I will let you get to it and make this game great.

Cheers and good luck!

Will the Great

Post by Will the Great » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:22 am

Re: Mec, because it's too much a hassel clicking the Quote button right now

Well, yeah, obviously you guys will have your hands full doing more important things than typing up shopping lists of features. :mrgreen:

Thanks for humouring me and answering my post. As always, I appreciate your willingness to talk frankly with random jerks from amateur news sites.

Return to “SotS2”