Fan art and thoughts on them?

Talk about all things to do with the sequel to our flagship 4X title.

Moderator: Erinys

User avatar
Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore
Posts: 7449
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:58 am

Re: Fan art and thoughts on them?

Post by Erinys » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:27 pm

Nice atmosphere. :)

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
_______________________________________________
Official website
Twitter
Sword of the Stars Gallery on Facebook
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

User avatar
Ludovsky
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:51 pm

Re: Fan art and thoughts on them?

Post by Ludovsky » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:37 pm

And now, for something more Sword of the Stars-related...

Who said scars had to be exclusives to men?

There's some stuff I wish were better with this piece, but for a work of one hour and a half at most, I guess it's not too shabby. I still need practices though(but then that was the point of working on this).

Image

I'd forgot how of a challenge working with the "oily bristle" tool was in Corel Painter in default setting. It's like working with a brush -and- smudge/spread tool at the same time.

I guess I'll have to start experimenting with brush settings.

User avatar
ProjectLevyDelta
Posts: 3945
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:42 am

Re: Fan art and thoughts on them?

Post by ProjectLevyDelta » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:59 pm

Morrig this... Morrigi that.. & the occassional "humans are weird" reference.

Yet no one has established if the Morrigi is a male or female :lol:
Image

User avatar
jp161
Posts: 2334
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:09 am

Re: Fan art and thoughts on them?

Post by jp161 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:13 pm

Oh, I like that blue picture! Very very nice. Can't wait to see your handiwork with the brawler suit!

User avatar
Ludovsky
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:51 pm

Re: Fan art and thoughts on them?

Post by Ludovsky » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:20 pm

Thank you for the comments ^^

I haven't started on a brawler. I'll need to find some time this week, will have to see how things go at work and how much free time I'll be able to devote to art.

User avatar
Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore
Posts: 7449
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:58 am

Re: Fan art and thoughts on them?

Post by Erinys » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:36 pm

ProjectLevyDelta wrote:Morrig this... Morrigi that.. & the occassional "humans are weird" reference.

Yet no one has established if the Morrigi is a male or female :lol:


No offense, Levy, but if a human being is trying to have sex with a Morrigi, whether that Morrigi is male or female is really the least of anyone's concerns.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
_______________________________________________
Official website
Twitter
Sword of the Stars Gallery on Facebook
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

User avatar
Itharus
Posts: 2747
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: Fan art and thoughts on them?

Post by Itharus » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:15 pm

Male, no?

Doesn't it say somewhere that the females are larger and more scaly?

As to the other bit... hey... what two consenting sentient beings want to do with each other is no concern of mine - if it's not hurting anyone, to each their own! :P
Go Hiver or go home!

User avatar
Ludovsky
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:51 pm

Re: Fan art and thoughts on them?

Post by Ludovsky » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:38 pm

.... at this rate I'll start feeling bad for posting that morrigi picture <.<;

User avatar
Itharus
Posts: 2747
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: Fan art and thoughts on them?

Post by Itharus » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:00 am

Pfft, don't, it's well done :D
Go Hiver or go home!

User avatar
Ludovsky
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:51 pm

Re: Fan art and thoughts on them?

Post by Ludovsky » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:13 am

Heh.

I'm just amused that no one commented the portrait picture yet. :p
Granted, it's not perfect, but I lacked time to put, well, more time on it <.<;

User avatar
ProjectLevyDelta
Posts: 3945
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:42 am

Re: Fan art and thoughts on them?

Post by ProjectLevyDelta » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:48 am

Erinys wrote:
ProjectLevyDelta wrote:Morrig this... Morrigi that.. & the occassional "humans are weird" reference.

Yet no one has established if the Morrigi is a male or female :lol:


No offense, Levy, but if a human being is trying to have sex with a Morrigi, whether that Morrigi is male or female is really the least of anyone's concerns.

--Arinn


I was talking about it from a lore point of view, I have no care for anyones fetish. ;p

Although denying one right to love an alien could be considered Xenophobic??
Image

User avatar
Tarrak
Posts: 1668
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:38 pm

Re: Fan art and thoughts on them?

Post by Tarrak » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:04 am

Ludovsky wrote:Heh.

I'm just amused that no one commented the portrait picture yet. :p
Granted, it's not perfect, but I lacked time to put, well, more time on it <.<;

I guess it has to do with it being somewhat vague. The woman is not of a determinable age, given the scars. She could just as easily be a hardworked (and thus underweight) woman of 35 as a former-frontliner-now-pencilpusher of 60. It makes it a bit hard to comment on it. But I will give it a shot. :)
I like that she appears to have a milky eye and her entire depressed but alert expression (frown but lifted eyebrows). She has seen stuff and she is not sure if she wants anyone else to see that as well. Good work with limited time. :thumbsup:

The Morrigi is male. The heavy plumage and the very birdlike beak are indicators. Though I have to admit that since Prime the birdlike beak has been vanishing (yikes, have the Moriggi been actively avoiding that trait?).
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

User avatar
Ludovsky
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:51 pm

Re: Fan art and thoughts on them?

Post by Ludovsky » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:27 am

Tarrak wrote:
Ludovsky wrote:Heh.

I'm just amused that no one commented the portrait picture yet. :p
Granted, it's not perfect, but I lacked time to put, well, more time on it <.<;

I guess it has to do with it being somewhat vague. The woman is not of a determinable age, given the scars. She could just as easily be a hardworked (and thus underweight) woman of 35 as a former-frontliner-now-pencilpusher of 60. It makes it a bit hard to comment on it. But I will give it a shot. :)
I like that she appears to have a milky eye and her entire depressed but alert expression (frown but lifted eyebrows). She has seen stuff and she is not sure if she wants anyone else to see that as well. Good work with limited time. :thumbsup:

The Morrigi is male. The heavy plumage and the very birdlike beak are indicators. Though I have to admit that since Prime the birdlike beak has been vanishing (yikes, have the Moriggi been actively avoiding that trait?).


Thanks for trying to comment. Actually, age wise I guess it means I might have to rework the picture a bit at some point. I guess it was a bit hard to mix wrinkles and scars on the same face. I may have to try fetching refference of scared faces the next time, if I do attempt the character again(plus, practicing from refferences more often wouldn't hurt... <.<; ).
I admit I was partly inspired by the cruiser captain in the Sword of the Stars novel, whom's ship Cai Rui boards when he first goes to investigate Avalon. She struck me as some sort of grizzled veteran of space warfare and though it wasn't my goal to actually draw her she at least was partly inspiration.

User avatar
Tarrak
Posts: 1668
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:38 pm

Re: Fan art and thoughts on them?

Post by Tarrak » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:36 am

Ah yes, can see that now. I guess my own image of her was a little different.

I don't think you did bad with the scars and wrinkles/furrows, it was just the medium used that made it hard to make out properly. A soft picture will always be harder to make out the difference in similar things, but it is great for showing emotions. Well, at least they are to me. I think that aspect went very well with it.
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

User avatar
Ludovsky
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:51 pm

Re: Fan art and thoughts on them?

Post by Ludovsky » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:10 pm

Thanks :)

Well, that was kinda why I guess I enjoy softer mediums sometimes. Though I'm realizing the more I look at it the more I think some things are off in the anatomy. I do need to spend more time looking at refferences and practicing faces proper again.

Also, I figure it was time I'd start using an avathar. Yay for digging around old pictures.

Post Reply

Return to “SotS2”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests