Video Walk-Throughs

Talk about all things to do with the sequel to our flagship 4X title.

Moderator: Erinys

Rorschach
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Re: Video Walk-Throughs

Post by Rorschach » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:37 am

Yep it's fraps.

Rorschach
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Rorschach » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:11 pm

The empire management video covers economics, trade, mining, colony development, morale, economic rating, and government. That's why it's almost 40 mins. long.

Hawawaa

Post by Hawawaa » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:51 pm

Thank you! Spreading the fire! :D

Hey Kerb- after these Info videos are done link them into the launcher of the game or directly some where in the game. Natural Selection 2 does this. Its really helpful for more people to jump into the game. Just a idea. :D

marshb

Post by marshb » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:00 pm

Awesome Rorsch! :thumbsup: :clap:
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

The Magus
Doomsayer

Post by The Magus » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:33 am

And I got complaints that just 40 minutes of talking about all of SotS2 was taking too long :P Keep them coming, Rorsh!
The teacher cut in smoothly, "Yes, of course. SolForce never fails to remind us how necessary they are to our...'survival'. ... It amazes me that the human race ever managed to exist, before you lot came along."

Cai Rui smiled thinly. "What amazes me is how quickly the human race could cease to exist, if we were gone."

--The Deacon's Tale

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:46 am

Feeling like a SotS2 pro after watching the vids I installed the game. Started it and my comp barely survived, as was expected really. :| Playing may be postponed, but watching the vids and posting non-essential comments is definitely not! :snooty:
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

saberrider

Post by saberrider » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:50 pm

and the crowd goes wild!

"Rorschach, Rorschach, Rorschach!"

*faints*
antifascist.antiracist. - no gods.no masters. just free minds.

feld
Cassandra

Post by feld » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:39 am

Excellent videos!
On the economic video at time 10:48 you describe that the "economic" number on the lower right hand corner of the empire management screen is your Economic ranking and say that "right now I'm number one in the game out of three".

I had thought I read on the forum (but cannot find it now through search) that this figure was, like morale, an average of all of your economic ranking statistics for each planet but that the figure was not displaying correctly (i.e. it should be a number from 1 to 100).

Can anyone else confirm?

v/r
feld

edit: clarity

Korgan

Post by Korgan » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:41 am

Yes, I always thought it was a bugged display of your economic average for your empire economy as well, as a ranking wouldn't make much sense, given rankings in general were removed for 2

Millennium Flagon

Post by Millennium Flagon » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:47 pm

Rorschach,

Thank you so much for these videos. I can read the forums all day but I learn more visually so I cannot tell you how much these helped. As I watched these vids, I heard you mention some of the other topics you plan to cover, which I'm very excited about. Personally, I would love to see more about fleets since I'm so terrible at building viable fleets and defense.

Again, thanks so much for the time and effort you put into these.

Sirial

Post by Sirial » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:44 pm

Just make the next one an hour long I do not mind at all =)

manty5

Post by manty5 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:52 pm

One thing that might be nice is discussing how to efficiently explore with all the races. The difference between a right way and a wrong one can mean several turns difference, and very few of the other people's letsplays actually address this. For example, you can spam ultrarange gateships when hiver and mostly ignore supply limitations when establishing your gate network. Then you take the supply cruisers you no longer need and use them as warm bodies for your survey fleets.

I despair of finding something even remotely as efficient for humans. There's got to be some way of avoiding spending an incredibly enormous percentage of fleet times returning to base, but as you must explore a system before you can explore anything beyond it, the method escapes me and I haven't found any adequate method on youtube.

The point being that what a drive does is explained in the manual, but how to use that drive WELL is something that only travels via word of mouth or trial and error.

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Nspace » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:32 pm

manty5 wrote:I despair of finding something even remotely as efficient for humans. There's got to be some way of avoiding spending an incredibly enormous percentage of fleet times returning to base, but as you must explore a system before you can explore anything beyond it, the method escapes me and I haven't found any adequate method on youtube.

You could use two fleets to explore down one node path. Once the first fleet finishes surveying (when you get the "survey complete" pop-up), the newly discovered node lines are visible. So as the first fleet travels back to base, launch the second fleet toward the next system in the chain. Another idea is to rebase forward after every two, three or four node jumps. So start at a colony, explore the first node jump out, explore the next jump out, then build a basic Naval Station at that second jump out and rebase your survey fleet to the new station. This takes a bit of research, but can really extend your reach and let you claim a lot of systems. :)
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

manty5

Post by manty5 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:20 am

Nice tip. Although I already knew about using naval stations for rebasing, this is the kind of stuff most existing letsplays ignore, probably because the authors themselves don't know!

I didn't know you could cancel a mission and then assign another right in the middle of it like that...

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Nspace » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:26 am

It's not that you are canceling the mission, it's that the survey of the system is completed before the fleet returns home (where the mission is completed). So if you use only one fleet, it still has to fly home before it can go back out. But a second fleet can launch on the same turn as you get the "survey complete" message. :)
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

Return to “SotS2”