Please stop creating SotS2 business threads

Talk about all things to do with the sequel to our flagship 4X title.

Moderator: Erinys

Dar25

Re: Please stop creating SotS2 business threads

Post by Dar25 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:36 am

gennadius wrote:
Slashman wrote:
Mecron wrote:If after all this and all that got done on sots2 on our own tab isn't enough to show we fight the good fight...well what can ya do? ;)

Don't assume that there aren't people who don't understand Mec. Even if you still see folks who make it their business to NOT understand.

I think most of the reasonable people here have no doubt about Kerberos going above and beyond for SotS2.

I both of your thoughts. Most of us see and understand. Those that don't, at this stage in the game, have to be intentionally maintaining that perspective on things. To what end is anyone's guess.

Perhaps they are simply haters, stubbornly refusing to buy into Grand Theory of KP Victimhood... Maybe there is a reason why SotS 2 project went down the way it did. From the famous launch day to where we are today. There is a reason to be bitter for all sides involved. And that's OK. Lessons are learned and Life goes on. Unfortunately the world judges your work not by best intentions but with end results. Those who can't accept it will tend to make the same mistakes and blame the world around them when things don't go as planned...

Ah, those darn selfish and unkind haters popping in again to sour the mood for no reason. Maybe it's because of them that this project did not turn out a blockbuster hit that it should have been... Let's attack, deride and condescend to them once again until they learn their place and just Go Away... So that peace and serenity will be restored once again.

mspaetauf

Post by mspaetauf » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:28 pm

well I wouldn't call haters unkind and selfish per se, but after almost 2 years of not being able to accept the facts, it is simply annoying. It's a game and it's a hobby FFS.

Itharus

Post by Itharus » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:04 am

Attack, deride, and condescend on haters?

Jolly good idea, my boy!

:toast:
Go Hiver or go home!

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:56 am

was dar agreeing or being sarcastic? Sometimes he is just so above and beyond everyone its hard to tell!

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:28 am

Mecron wrote:was dar agreeing or being sarcastic? Sometimes he is just so above and beyond everyone its hard to tell!

Is it worth the time and effort to try to figure it out? I'm guessing no at this point.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Itharus

Post by Itharus » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:01 am

Mecron wrote:was dar agreeing or being sarcastic? Sometimes he is just so above and beyond everyone its hard to tell!

Gotta love that :sarcasm: sign :D
Go Hiver or go home!

Aranador

Post by Aranador » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:50 am

So does that mean you are being sarcastic about loving sarcasm ?

mspaetauf

Post by mspaetauf » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:42 am

I was just curious about the status of the SotS IP. Paradox holds the IP on SotS2, and maybe SotS1. But there was The Pit, so it is still possible for Kerberos to do games within the SotS universe!?
And does the IP also cover the technical aspects? In other words, could Kerberos use the SotS2 engine to make something out of it? Or is making space games restricted by the IP?

I am thinking something like a mix of Pirates!, FTL and Star Wolves, based on the SotS2 engine (the one for combat) would be nice :D

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Nspace » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:16 am

Intellectual Property is not the same thing as a product or game type (like 4x).

While Paradox seems to have some say in SotS 2 the product (and maybe the 4x game type in general), I wouldn't bet that Paradox holds any of the SotS universe IP. Both The Pit and Ground Pounders use the SotS universe IP extensively and there seem to be no issues with those being fully independent Kerberos titles.
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

RobAK801
Doomsayer

Post by RobAK801 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:45 pm

Mecron has always stated that they (Kerberos) own the SotS IP, it is just publishing rights that they granted to Paradox. They also own the Mars engine, the second iteration of which powers SotS][, and that other games like Northstar would most likely use that engine whenever possible.

So yeah Paradox has some say in SotS Prime and ][ due to holding the publishing rights, but the SotS universe and the Mars engine that drives it are all Kerby! Thus The Pit and Ground Pounders were possible. SotS 4X set in the current time frame could be iffy, as it could be seen as an attempt to circumvent publishing agreements, there is always the possibility of a SotS prequel or sequel that doesn't touch on the current timeline. A game about Stellar Generation Prime's rise and fall or a SotS: TNG, where new races take to the stars and encounter the wonders (and horrors) left behind by the current stable of factions are both a possibility. The only real barrier to more SotS 4X in all reality is us, they asked us for $50K for KAGG and we couldn't do it, so how could they even think of asking for the bank roll for a game like a new SotS 4X? Start making and breaking some of the smaller games goals and then maybe we can work our way up to the bigger stuff in the SotSverse.
N* makes me miss my Commadore 64 and my copies of Starflight I + II :(

SolForce Grunt 1: With the Suul'ka on the loose Command has issued a F.U.C.K. You order.
SG2: A what?
SG1: A Fight Until Cthulu Kills You order!

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:22 pm

yes, there is indeed a gray area between IP and publishing rights that can get much grayer when pushed. So lil guys have to tread careful even when its their own material.

Lord Baal

Post by Lord Baal » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:33 pm

Ah crap... But would you be able to make/publish a hypothetical SotS3 in the future?
Imagine your own funny quote here.

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:53 pm

*trailer mode on*
ONE MAN...
IN HIS UNENDING QUEST TO END ALL SOTS2 BUSINESS THREADS...
HAD A VISION...
HE DREAMED OF A FINAL SOLUTION...
TO STOP THE ETERNAL WAR...
ONE THREAD TO RULE THEM ALL...
ONE THREAD TO FIND THEM...
ONE THREAD TO BRING THEM ALL...
AND IN THE PHPBB BIND THEM!
BUT IN HIS HUBRIS...
HE ONLY MANAGED TO CREATE A MONSTER...
AN IMMORTAL THREAD...
CURSED...
REPEATEDLY MOANING THE SAME ARGUMENTS...
THAT WOULD END UP ROAMING THE LAND OF KERBEROS...
FOREVER!!!
*trailer mode off*

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:59 pm

lol! :lol: :clap:

gennadius

Post by gennadius » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:50 am

BlueTemplar wrote:*trailer mode on*

|castewaronly| Well played. Makes me want to go grab some popcorn. :lol: