Please stop creating SotS2 business threads

Talk about all things to do with the sequel to our flagship 4X title.

Moderator: Erinys

Dark_Messiah

Re: Please stop creating SotS2 business threads

Post by Dark_Messiah » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:54 pm

ZedF wrote:Broken for you, perhaps? Other folks seem to be able to enjoy it without problems, see duckbird vs Blue Instinct in the MP forums as just one example.

*Looks at all the crash and freeze threads in the bug report section that were created after the last patch and up until the last patch too that might not have been fixed yet(was planned to in later patches) both single player and multiplayer.*
Yep, must be only me.

Also i completely understand what kerb is going through and i will wait until the situation is cleared up. I only said that things were broken for me and my friend, and by the looks of the threads in the bug report section, a lot of other people too. And that i hope that in the future(not right this instant) these issues will be fixed so that i can enjoy the game even more than i already am (the single player that is).

Inb4 why don't you report it than in the report section: because it has already been reported in an old thread and i see no reason to necrobump it.

zanzibar196
Note: Not A Moderator

Please stop creating SotS2 business threads

Post by zanzibar196 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:29 pm

Dark_Messiah wrote:
ZedF wrote:Broken for you, perhaps? Other folks seem to be able to enjoy it without problems, see duckbird vs Blue Instinct in the MP forums as just one example.

*Looks at all the crash and freeze threads in the bug report section that were created after the last patch and up until the last patch too that might not have been fixed yet(was planned to in later patches) both single player and multiplayer.*
Yep, must be only me.

Also i completely understand what kerb is going through and i will wait until the situation is cleared up. I only said that things were broken for me and my friend, and by the looks of the threads in the bug report section, a lot of other people too. And that i hope that in the future(not right this instant) these issues will be fixed so that i can enjoy the game even more than i already am (the single player that is).

Inb4 why don't you report it than in the report section: because it has already been reported in an old thread and i see no reason to necrobump it.

Correction: a lot of people have hidden problems with windows, that become apparent once the game is updated. The game itself is not the problem. File corruption, old drivers, and flaws in the Windows registry are!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by zanzibar196 on Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Itharus

Post by Itharus » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:51 pm

The whole deleting your SOTS2 profile in the saved games folder bit cleared up the crashes I was getting.
Go Hiver or go home!

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:50 pm

DM thank you for you post which demonstrates perfectly the circumstantial nature of bug perception. Zanz's answer is indeed the correct one.

Exakter

Post by Exakter » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:08 am

This is sad.

I like paradox as a company. I also have liked Kerberos, of course I have fond memories of SotS1. I once played a game with one of the devs, and I remember begging for ship captains or admirals in order to have some more rpg aspects involved. I LOVE the fact that made it in SoTS2! (Of course I suspect you guys were already thinking along those lines, it was a natural progression)

I feel like SotS2 was everything I wanted and then some, but with some minor aspects I didn't... The combination meant crazy processing requirements, lengthy turns, etc etc.

As a former developer myself (mainly mobile software that has never seen the light of day thanks to similar issues as you've experienced) I can sympathize. It's a real pity Sots1 wasn't more popular, or you might have gotten the ACTUAL funding and support you needed to reach your goals in SoTS2. Games like SOSE are successful purely because of their limitations. They set a small goal and hit it.

I see you guys are now doing the same with your current games, which is both pleasing (and not). I love for example Crusader Kings, and EU. Yet I do not really like your current 2d games. It might be artwork, or it might be the thematic approach. But I applaud the concept and drive. I hope you guys reach a better financial stage where you are able to create the games you really want to enjoy. The fact that you are still struggling as a company gives me hope. (I do not use struggling as a negative, I literally had to fire my team and go into the corporate world because financially it was irresponsible to do otherwise) Maybe one day you will be hiring again and looking for history majors/video game majors like myself. Until that day, I'll go back to my corporate mehjobs and pay money for sometimes great and sometimes underwhelming games. (Phew this year has been a doozy in that regard!)

From a scifi perspective I think you guys have a lot of lore under your belt that would make truly fascinating games. In the vein of 7 Grand Steps, or The Bards Tale... except you know... with aliens/starships/other planets. I'm primarily a story-driven gamer, or empire-building gamer (hence my ... lack of fascination with your current products). I like to get wrapped up in the story, or build my own from the properties provided to me. These sort of story driven games are inexpensive (compared to some of your past endeavors) to produce, and have a widespread appeal to scifi lovers. I could definitely envision playing a text-driven game of yours where you play as a single star ship captain exploring the universe, and could bump into hivers, crows, etc etc... the possibilities are really endless.

Don't give up hope! You guys have a gold mine, and like many other 1800's miners you hit it big at first. Stumbled a bit, but are back to the river sifting, in order to be able to really get at that claim with the right tools to finally knock it out of the park! I'm not mixing metaphors! I SWEAR it! lol

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:52 pm

thanks for the support and actually if you look inside the pit or groundpounders you will find tons of lore there as well ;)

VikingDream

Post by VikingDream » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:28 am

While i haven't visited these boards in a long long time it's pretty sad from what i've read that SoTS 3 isn't in the pipe line and while I support the work you guys are doing the games since SoTS2 aren't really my cup of tea so I'm not able to justify buying them.

I really hope that you are in a financial position in the future to make SoTS3, I fully understand that some features in SoTS 2 will never be released now like scenarios and that some problems wont be ironed out like late game turn times for example.

I wish you all the best in your future projects with indie games.
Kill one man it is murder kill one million it is a statistic

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:44 am

While I am pretty damn sure there will be a sots3 someday, your post makes me kinda sad about that fact.

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:29 pm

Why would a fact that there would be SotS3 someday make you sad?!
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:53 pm

Because of the way VikingDream said he won't support Kerberos to get to the point where they can make a SotS3?

His choice and all, but why bother coming here to make a specific point of it? Better to just disappear until SotS3 is ready, if you really don't want to be along for the long haul.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:32 pm

I guess you are right.

Funny, I kinda like the fact that Kerberos is doing smaller projects - even though I'd be extremely happy if those would be side projects while SotS and Northstar franchises would be blooming. Lately I have so little time (and will) to play games that I'm only able to tackle simpler games.
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:42 pm

Me too, and I finally finished my first floor15+ vanilla (no DLC whatsoever) The Pit run. Well, by finished, I mean died horribly when I didn't watch my life closely enough and a Heavy Bot one-shotted me...

VikingDream

Post by VikingDream » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:04 am

My point was we were told buy The Pit and we will(Kerberos) patch SoTS2 ..... not seen an update/patch for a very long time and rouge like games aren't my thing, if I wanted to play those i'd dig out gauntlet for example.

My point being that while I and many others have waited a very long time for missing features ect to be added, I understand that Kerberos will not be adding these feature last time i checked into the game was over a year ago and there has been zero effort to patch SoST2 in the that time frame as far as I can tell... if i've missed patch notes ect it might be because the last update on steam was from November 2013 and i'm struggling to find a change log on these forums now.

In the time since the all last patch The Pit, Ground Pounders and another title have been worked on which is totally understandable as a company it makes sense to generate income, there has also been the whole thing with Paradox and the IP problems. Which I don't want to go into details about but it's understandable what happened there.

I do look forward to SoTS 3 when ever that will be and would support that game but the current games are not ones I would play so can't justify buying them in the hopes that the money would go to making SoTS3 or into patching SoTS2.

The point is why should I buy something I will not use? If offering moral rather then financial support and wishing Kerberos luck makes them sad so be it, it makes my point no less valid.
Kill one man it is murder kill one million it is a statistic

zanzibar196
Note: Not A Moderator

Post by zanzibar196 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:38 pm

VikingDream wrote:The current games are not ones I would play.

Wait... what?!?!? Kaiju-a-gogo isn't a game you would play? What are you... not-an-evil-scientist? And what about the Northstar? It's being hinted at as the next big kerberos thing... You can't play that, either? Heresy I say! Most likely, SotS 3 won't come out until Northstar proves to be a smashing success...

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:27 pm

stop arguing with him zanz...in my day people were like this two but they didn't want a pat on the head for it. They just did it and that was fine. But now its the internet era and everyone must hear about your stuff but also tell you that you are awesome for it.

It is what it is. The world goes on and Viking will someday benefit from people who do NOT think like him. Which, I guess, makes him a winner! ;)

Return to “SotS2”