Help From The Best!{A Film Series for Sword of The Stars}

Talk about all things to do with the sequel to our flagship 4X title.

Moderator: Erinys

Urillch

Help From The Best!{A Film Series for Sword of The Stars}

Post by Urillch » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:45 am

Hi there Sword of the stars People! My Name is Urillch(In forums). I'm a freshman in college currently trying to enter a military academy. My father was an editor, and I learned many skills from him and currently I am enrolled in some film and media classes. I don't come on the forums too often mostly because I didn't know about it for a long time :roll:. But Recently I've taken a fascination to the SoTS Universe! So I've been dabbling around with the idea of making like a little series on the Sword of the Star Universe. I wanted to focus on ground combat forces and some of the ethos of the Human species. What I plan on using are the "Sword of The Stars II" and "ArmA III" (modded with the God knows how many Sci-Fi Mods[To be included later thou]) games to record most of the filming. I'm not expecting this to be a blockbuster or anything, but I'd love to see the Sword of the Stars Universe cinematically, and see new faces in the game! Which comes to the reason why I'm posting! Ia m somewhat looking for Dramaturgs to help me in forming it in the way our beloved " Erinys" had portrayed it. You see I do not have too much time on my hand to research a lot of the information but I have got a good chunk of it, and I wish to build off that. There no release date or anything of due to a constant changing schedule, but I am putting a lot of time into it. I have created some pieces of music and had recently upgraded my software for better voice editing and video quality in the filming process. All I want is this to be community driven! Ya know? Like character names, Ships names, planet names and all sorts of things like that. Also critical, Lore fact checking! I would hate to making something that deviates from the game soo much! This project is going to take some time because of its a one man thing, but I have a lot of people at my school helping me in making this look as professional as possible! This project would be my first serious film, so you know there going to be a lot of dedication put into it. But overall I would really appreciate community input I will try my best to implement as much as possible! :D THANKS FOR READING!! :D
I rather be judged by 12, then carried by 6.

Mecron
Kerberos

Re: Help From The Best!{A Film Series for Sword of The Stars

Post by Mecron » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:35 pm

As long as you are planning to distribute it for free, ;) Good luck and feel free to ask as many questions as you like!

Urillch

Post by Urillch » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:57 pm

Mecron wrote:As long as you are planning to distribute it for free, ;) Good luck and feel free to ask as many questions as you like!

Of course! There may be like a trailer type i will relaese before 2017.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:35 pm

May want to consider using SOTS Prime as you'll run into less restrictions for a cinematic work instead of SOTS 2. It'd also be easier to mod it to be more lore accurate due to that. It also has a thriving mod scene where SOTS 2 only has a few people so that may be a factor in your decision.

If you do decide to use SOTS 2, feel free to message me over in the modding area, I can usually provide assistance where the game allows.

If I may ask, which time period are you setting it in? The lore progresses in each expansion and game. Some (one?) of the Suul'ka are dead in the End of Flesh canon for example where all of them are alive in Lords of Winter.
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver - work in progress
Sword of the Stars 2 : Vanilla AI Enhancement Mod - work in progress.
Creator of the upcoming Seimei universe.

Urillch

Post by Urillch » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Rossinna-Sama wrote:May want to consider using SOTS Prime as you'll run into less restrictions for a cinematic work instead of SOTS 2. It'd also be easier to mod it to be more lore accurate due to that. It also has a thriving mod scene where SOTS 2 only has a few people so that may be a factor in your decision.

If you do decide to use SOTS 2, feel free to message me over in the modding area, I can usually provide assistance where the game allows.

If I may ask, which time period are you setting it in? The lore progresses in each expansion and game. Some (one?) of the Suul'ka are dead in the End of Flesh canon for example where all of them are alive in Lords of Winter.

So my initial thought was to set it in the Period of the AI revolution and the development of the Loa. Reason being because there are alot of AI take over the world mods out there. But i recently started to gear towards the Discover of Black 13s aka Zuul and focus on the crew of the Nanjing. A lot of work is geared to showcaseing the zuul due to the horde mentality they have and the halo mod for ArmA 3 has the a elite variant thats kinda looks Zuul. I only currently have the first few scences and a few voice overs to put with that. Planning on using Fivver to get some other voice besides mine. :hween: :noid:

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:02 pm

Cool!

If you feel the need to chat about this, please feel free to hit me up on Facebook or Twitter. I'm usually pretty responsive, as I have the apps on my cell phone.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Urillch

Post by Urillch » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:15 pm

Erinys wrote:Cool!

If you feel the need to chat about this, please feel free to hit me up on Facebook or Twitter. I'm usually pretty responsive, as I have the apps on my cell phone.

--Arinn

Thanks for the support. There a 150% chance I will ask a question. ;) Currently trying to see which engine I should use for the space scenes. SoTS II Has the pretty looks and such but SoTS I has the home vibe plus I know how to work everything in there and, there's a good bit of lore.

Urillch

Post by Urillch » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:39 am

OK here goes my first question. So I have got some of the ground combat scenes done and some dialogue but now i trying to decide between SoTS Prime or 2. Now I have received information saying that SoTS Prime is good to use done to the high modding capabilities that it has but since this is more ground and people focus I don't know if that will be needed. Then there SoTS 2 with the good looks but it going to be hard to get certain scenes like Black List Objects due to (at least in my gameplays) the Ghost ship one being the only thing I get.[ I know that less naval station can rid the problem but a lot of the scenes talk place in that station and I am trying to keep the same planet background with the station.

Tonality

Post by Tonality » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:40 am

I really like the visuals in SOTS 2 over the older game (I've been playing SOTS 1 more lately, though).

However, the savegames in SOTS 2 can be edited in a SQL editor. I have just started dabbling with them, but it appears you can tweak quite a bit. Someone more experienced than I would know better, but it does seem like you might be able to do what you want in sots 2.

Urillch

Post by Urillch » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:19 am

Tonality wrote:I really like the visuals in SOTS 2 over the older game (I've been playing SOTS 1 more lately, though).

However, the savegames in SOTS 2 can be edited in a SQL editor. I have just started dabbling with them, but it appears you can tweak quite a bit. Someone more experienced than I would know better, but it does seem like you might be able to do what you want in sots 2.

I see what I have done is compiled film from both of the games I will post a demo to see which is more liked.

Urillch

Post by Urillch » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:08 pm

I have compiled a video comparing the two. I would like to see which one people approve of the most.

https://youtu.be/u2Qd7yhIz70

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:10 pm

It mostly depends on what exactly you want to do with it.

SOTS 2 will always win in the graphical department but setting up something that is exactly what you want will be tough, especially if you're using an AI opponent as there's very little AI modding available in SOTS 2. If you want specific setups, you'll probably have to set up a modded Multiplayer match with someone who's got a good connection to you so the ships don't jitter around. (That's why I can't help on that side even if my PC was working. 300\400 AUS ping...)

If you do go with SOTS 2, there's a few things you may want to look at.

32 Million Color mod and some of its variants can come in handy to get more pure color choices on your ships (can have black ships if you want), and there's special variants in other posts I made there such as my infamous Neon Liir.

Modifying Materials.xml~ files is a bit of a complicated read, but this will let you decide on how reflective, shiny and so on your ships are (within limits).

The Inflated Guide to modding Ships and Weapons is a guide I made (though never finished) which teaches you basic modding for SOTS 2, if that is something you're interested in.

The entire modding subsection has lots of resources, they just tend to get buried. If in doubt, feel free to ask and someone will chime in.
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver - work in progress
Sword of the Stars 2 : Vanilla AI Enhancement Mod - work in progress.
Creator of the upcoming Seimei universe.

Urillch

Post by Urillch » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:52 am

Rossinna-Sama wrote:It mostly depends on what exactly you want to do with it.

SOTS 2 will always win in the graphical department but setting up something that is exactly what you want will be tough, especially if you're using an AI opponent as little AI is modding available in SOTS 2. If you want specific setups, you'll probably have to set up a modded Multiplayer match with someone who's got a good connection to you so the ships don't jitter around. (That's why I can't help on that side even if my PC was working. 300\400 AUS ping...)

If you do go with SOTS 2, there's a few things you may want to look at.

32 Million Color mod and some of its variants can come in handy to get more pure color choices on your ships (can have black ships if you want), and there's special variants in other posts I made there such as my infamous Neon Liir.

Modifying Materials.xml~ files is a bit of a complicated read, but this will let you decide on how reflective, shiny and so on your ships are (within limits).

The Inflated Guide to modding Ships and Weapons is a guide I made (though never finished) which teaches you basic modding for SOTS 2, if that is something you're interested in.

The entire modding subsection has lots of resources, they just tend to get buried. If in doubt, feel free to ask, and someone will chime in.

Rossinna-Sama Thank you, soo much for the helpful response. I think that SotS 1 is going to be the game I will choose. Since my computer is more up to par with today's game generation, i hope to max every graphical aspect that I can of SotS 1. And in Post-editing I will try and improve it. Now Many others have said that Sots 1 has quite a few mods. I was wondering if I could get maybe a start point into which mod the community would like to see in the film adaptation. Thanks!

Return to “SotS2”