did SOTS2 ever get fixed?

Talk about all things to do with the sequel to our flagship 4X title.

Moderator: Erinys

GantradiseDracos

Post by GantradiseDracos » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:18 pm

haven't posted in a very long time, have recently been playing prime and got curious enough to check in.
i remember the.....issues at launch, didn't end up trying to play again until the expansion, and to be brutally honest, while it was more STABLE, the game still had....issues to solve before it was actually FUN >.>
i mean, i found a mod that stripped out the Feasibility study system which HELPED, but among the problems i noticed, the AI at the time seemed to be unwilling to explore, let alone attack me.....
My forum name is a grammer flubb. it should read Gantradies Dracos.
ME: ok, ive been listening to you guys for the last 3 minutes. question: what is the difference between a stack overflow and underflow,anyway? Adam: *beat*ok.Imagine you have a cat. If you were to feed the cat so much food that it explodes, that's a stack overflow. A stack underflow is where you try to take food out of the cat, and keep taking food out, until you take the cat out of itself.

zanzibar196
Note: Not A Moderator

Post by zanzibar196 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:49 pm

I would say SotS 2 is at the level it should have been upon release, plus a bit more... But not as smooth a polish as the original. If you own a copy, download, reinstall... And play. Definitely a different experience from classic SotS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rossinna-Sama

Re: did SOTS2 ever get fixed?

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:11 pm

As much as I love SOTS2, have to kinda disagree that it got "fixed" from a gameplay point of view. Sure, its far more stable now and there are only a few crashes that are MP only (such as Morrigi colony traps), but compared to SOTS1, its still not anywhere near what its potential is\was.

This said, issues like the AI still remain. Some mods like SOTS2 Reforged help alleviate this problem but otherwise its still got the same issues it did when EOF launched.

It'd still be worth giving it another shot though as its combat is practically unmatched anywhere else, especially if you're potentially interested in joining the small modding scene. Tweaking the game to run the way you want it to is arguably one of the best experiences because you can see the huge potential the game has - its just ever so slightly out of reach.
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver - work in progress
Sword of the Stars 2 : Vanilla AI Enhancement Mod - Alpha Version 6 now Available.
Creator of the upcoming Seimei universe.

Lucian

Post by Lucian » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:36 am

Rossinna-Sama wrote:It'd still be worth giving it another shot though as its combat is practically unmatched anywhere else, especially if you're potentially interested in joining the small modding scene. Tweaking the game to run the way you want it to is arguably one of the best experiences because you can see the huge potential the game has - its just ever so slightly out of reach.

I'd second this, real-time tactical ship combat in SOTS 2 is by far the best of its kind ever created (although the field isn't exactly packed with competitors). About the only superior tactical combat you'll ever encounter is with MOO 2 and that isn't really comparable because its turn-based, and even MOO 2 is arguably less deep and nuanced in many respects. But really nothing else has even come close to matching Kerberos's take on RT tactical ship combat.

I'd also agree with Rossinna's point about modding, mods really enable you to mitigate or even fix some of the more annoying and unpolished aspects of the game. That's a huge plus.

JPowell

Post by JPowell » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:52 pm

Was there some change to the last version of SoTSII that eliminated Leviathans? I haven't played the game for about a year, and when I started my current game I was able to research through Flag Central Command but Carrier Command never appeared as a research option.

Anyone else see this?

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:04 am

<Name>Carrier Command
<RequiredTech>
<Name>BRD_BattleRiders</Name>
<Name>ENG_Leviathian_Construction</Name>

So to research Carrier Command, you need:

Antimatter
Leviathan Construction
BattleRider tech
and of course, Flag Central or whatever its called.

It's not removed, no. There's been no techs or units removed in such a manner.

If you've got those and its still not showing up, feel free to upload a save.
Sword of the Stars 2 : Vanilla AI Enhancement Mod - Alpha Version 6 now Available.

JPowell

Post by JPowell » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:15 am

I have Flag Central Command, Battle Riders, Antimatter and Dreadnaughts. I tried to upload the save file but it is apparently too big and isn't being accepted when I try to attach it. I've uploaded three screen shots showing I've researched Flag Central Command, Battle Riders, and Antimatter. I couldn't attach the fourth (Dreadnaught Construction) because of the 3-file limit.
Screenshot (4).png
Screenshot (3).png
Screenshot (1).png

Thanks for any help you can provide.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:13 am

JPowell wrote:I have Flag Central Command, Battle Riders, Antimatter and Dreadnaughts. I tried to upload the save file but it is apparently too big and isn't being accepted when I try to attach it. I've uploaded three screen shots showing I've researched Flag Central Command, Battle Riders, and Antimatter. I couldn't attach the fourth (Dreadnaught Construction) because of the 3-file limit.
Screenshot (4).png
Screenshot (3).png
Screenshot (1).png

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Dreadnoughts are the size below Leviathans. So DN tech isn't enough for LV construction.

This is the tech you're missing. Please excuse the modded tree, but this aspect is still the same as vanilla.

Basically continue straight up from Dreadnought construction and you'll eventually get it. I think its after Turret Installations (which gives you war sections and lets planets shoot HCL-class beams.)

JPowell

Post by JPowell » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:27 am

Yeah, I didn't get that as an option. Check out this screen grab:
Screenshot (2).png

My research options stop at turrets beyond Dreadnaughts. I have the criteria for Leviathans, but they don't appear.

I don't know if this is a factor, but I carefully choose my techs based on experience (I don't research certain techs if they don't seem to have much value.) The result is my techs are all over the place. Is there some low value -but necessary- tech I may have overlooked? Frankly, if there is, I can't find it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:13 pm

My mistake, sorry.

Since you've got Turret Installations already researched, that means there's probably two or three things missing.

Heavy Ship Missiles (IOBM and Polaris mounts), Heavy Combat Laser (HCL mounts like HCL, Lancer and Cutting beams) and possibly a Torpedo but I don't think any LVs have those by default.

From your screenshots, I can see you've not researched the Heavy Ship Missiles, so that's probably the cause. Its directly above the planetary IOBM missile tech.

JPowell

Post by JPowell » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:56 am

You were right! I usually don't research Heavy Ship Missile (seems a waste of a large weapon turret as PD knock them down easily) but after taking your advice and doing so Leviathans appeared as a research option.

Thanks for the help!

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:34 am

JPowell wrote:You were right! I usually don't research Heavy Ship Missile (seems a waste of a large weapon turret as PD knock them down easily) but after taking your advice and doing so Leviathans appeared as a research option.

Thanks for the help!

Heavy Ship Missiles don't impact normal turrets themselves, they unlock two extra mount types - Polaris and IOBM. You don't gain a new heavy turret weapon from this tech - though you do from the techs that branch off it.

Personally, its one of my go-to earlyish game techs as it unlocks Missile Satellites which imo are the most effective early defensive platform there is due to drones being weak early game in the stock game. The larger missiles are also quite deadly against planets to the point it almost makes things like Assault Shuttles redundant.

Return to “SotS2”