Good SOTS2 videos on Youtube?

Talk about all things to do with the sequel to our flagship 4X title.

Moderator: Erinys

willdieh

Good SOTS2 videos on Youtube?

Post by willdieh » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:11 pm

Hi All,

I've been playing SOTS2 again (thanks in large part to Rossinna-sama's new vanilla AI mod) (http://www.kerberos-productions.com/for ... 50&t=57837) and am finding myself facing the same frustration I always do when moving over from SOTS: The interface.

Does anyone know of any good Youtube videos that show an expert playing? Something that has good starting builds and might focus on how to navigate through all the micro management of stations, fleets, trade, and how to better use the battle screen?

Thanks!
William

Edit:
Right now I already use as many shortcut keys as I can remember - "S"tar view, "E"mpire/budget, "R"esearch, "D"esign, "B"uild, and switch between "1" Normal View, "2" Unexplored System View, and "7" trade view. In battle I use the tab key but my old "E"nemy key now displays some kind of weird 3d grid (I suppose it's to show elevation) so I have no way to switch targets without looking around with the camera or switching to tactical view. I find it so tedious to have to switch to trade view just to adjust trade sliders and station maintenance/upgrading modules is a chore as well. I also hate having to rewind the events each turn in order to re-allocate my unexhausted ships with new missions after they finish their current assignments.
Just wondering how some of the more experienced players "get around" within the interface.

Rossinna-Sama

Re: Good SOTS2 videos on Youtube?

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:44 pm

Wolfenray ( youtube link ) had a fairly new series going. While he isn't a veteran, he did a fairly good job overall.

Stations are simple - click the button which says something like 'auto place modules'. It'll place whatever is required to get the station up to the next level.

Rule of thumb for mid-late game is that each planet should have a Naval station (for admirals and reduction to piracy) and a Civilian Station (for trade).
An optional strat which I use for the Liir and if I'm being lazy is to ignore trade and focus only on science stations.

Scrapping your starting naval station is an option - but there is no point if you're using VAE since there's little to no maintenance.

Starting builds depend on your faction, playstyle and map size with the tech tree playing a part with its RNG later.
Typically it is best to get to a PD tech early on, research Empathy for the morale boost and get a few colonization techs. VAE makes it more important to get PD earlier since the AI now uses drones often.
Typical turn one designs usually have either missiles and beamers (beamers are makeshift PD weapons early game) or ballistics if that's your thing.
Watch how much supply your ships are using - you'll need to attach supply ships if your ships endurance is 3 or lower. Energy weapons tend to use very little supply so they are better for longer range fleets.

Beamers are most effective on drones as they don't miss but gauss cannons do more damage if they do it - its up to your preferences.

While it is old and I've not updated it, I did release a guide to SOTS2 on steam.
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver Modder
Creator of the Work-In-Progress Seimei Visual Novel series.
My dream game: Combination of Sword of the Stars 2, Angels Fall First, Conquest: Frontier Wars and Warzone 2100.

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:13 pm

Thanks Rossinna... I think I read your guide when I first got SOTS2 and have referred to it more than once :)

I was actually just looking for tips on handling the UI... like shortcuts to figuring out how many turns it takes to get from point a to point b, figuring out how to target enemies during battle, etc.

In SOTS1 I have my keyboard shortcuts down (and also use SOTSKEYS) so I can run a turn in just a couple mins, complete with trade. But I'm just seeming to struggle with the interface in SOTS2.

But perhaps that's just the nature of the beast and I just need to slow down and deal with it. Like all things, I guess it'll come with experience.

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:50 pm

Just for anyone's information,

I found some decent videos done by Resok... They're not super high quality or anything (wish they had more spoken dialogue), but given that they're done by Resok, I doubt there are many better to demo play style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flaLRhS ... CZpRTSxOZt

I notice that he cancels missions early (just after they're finished, but before they fleet is listed as done) in order to reassign, so I guess that's expected.

William

Return to “SotS2”