Introducing The Pit Fan Mod!

Well, we hadn't planned on it, but here we are...

Moderator: Erinys

nicholizard

Introducing The Pit Fan Mod!

Post by nicholizard » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:11 pm

Introducing the Pit Fan Mod! We love the Pit and wanted to make it even more awesome. Here’s what we’ve accomplished so far:

Features Overview
  • An “Unlock All Recipes” button has been added.
  • There are key commands to “Pick Up All Items” (Shift + G) and “Drop All Items With Durability”. (Control + Shift + G)
  • The game will remember shortcuts if you drop and pick up an item.
  • A third row of shortcuts has been added for items and psionics.
  • Resting has been sped up considerably. (Control + Shift + G to sleep instead of rest)
  • Beginner and Ludicrous difficulty levels have been added. Beginner won’t destroy your ingredients when you fail a craft.
  • Mouse wheel support for scrolling windows has been added.
  • Rebalanced classes, items, props, psionics, and recipes (ongoing)
  • The map popup has been enlarged to fill your game window.
  • Engineering has been removed and all recipes remapped to other skills.
  • Enemy animations have been sped up.
  • Kills from your allies now give experience.
  • Enemies that spawn creatures like Maintenance Masters and Moon Bear Kings will no longer do that right behind you. Rather they will appear outside of your total vision radius and come chasing. No need to back up to a wall anymore.
  • Brains (rebranded as Perception) now increases your vision range. Now you actually have a reason to invest points in it.
  • Mechanics that encourage tedious gameplay have been removed:
  • Tesseract well no longer destroys items.
  • Item destruction trap has been replaced with item discharge trap.
  • Traps and Turrets are actually useful now.
  • Energy backpacks are no longer larger than laser rifles.
  • Many monsters now have a very small chance of dropping their weapon.
  • Traps of many types can be crafted and then turned into their corresponding grenades.
  • Over 30 new recipes have been added with many more to come. Check them out!

Cool New/Updated Spells!
  • Clone - This is the new top tier Manifestation spell. Creates a mindless clone of yourself with the same AC and HP to draw creature agro. Creatures previously targeting you will regain their active target so if the clone is closer they will most likely attack it.
  • Dissolve - This now reduces a monster’s armor value by a percentage in addition to its previous effects.
  • Haste - This new 3rd tier Redaction spell allows you to increase your speed by 2 for a short time to escape Proteans or move tactically in battle
  • Sympathy Pains - Choose an enemy to “Feel your pain”. When you take damage, so do they. Good way to capitalize on getting swarmed or do damage to a creature you don’t have the Penetration to kill.

Cool New (or Previously Missing) Items!
  • Active Stims - Protects against unconsciousness.
  • Gravity Manipulator - This belt allows you to use heavy weapons.
  • Placeable turrets of every variety that exist in the game have been added.
  • And more.

Cool New Weapons!
  • Short Bow
  • Crossbow
  • Raiziri - A hiver rifle with a bayonet to melee with
  • Tranq Gun - Like the crazed surgeon, fires knockout darts
  • Spore Lance - Turn your spore dagger into a spear
  • Cryorod - Spear that causes cold
  • Bone Spear
  • Confusion Grenade
  • + many more to come

Bug Fixes
  • Casting Glamor on Protean Breeder no longer crashes the game.
  • Fear now has a status image.
  • Doors no longer make an annoying sound when taking DOT damage.
  • Confusion/Chaff grenades have actual effects.
  • Necromancer enemies have had their missing animations fixed.
  • Arbudas/Pit Builders/Male Tarkas now have limited ammo.
  • Canadarmour now uses correct sprite.
  • AI Labs can now craft everything that regular labs can.
  • Von Neumann Probe shot no longer crashes the game when wearing a harmonic resonator.

These are just the some of the changes! This mod receives regular updates with new content and improved mechanics. To see the entire list of implemented and upcoming changes check out the
Google Change Doc

The Pit Fan Mod is compatible with 1.6.0 Osmium edition. It is a patch and so you must own a valid copy of the game.

To download the mod visit the Pit wikipedia: http://sword-of-the-stars-the-pit.wikia ... ons_(Mods)

To see some videos of changes that have been made, check out the let's play playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... JuRkFqgLjA

Have ideas or just want to talk Pit? Join our Discord! https://discord.gg/nPRWzp5

Your ideas and suggestions are always appreciated. Don’t forget to share your experiences in the comments and have a fun time playing!
Last edited by nicholizard on Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Svankensen

Re: Introducing The Pit Fan Mod!

Post by Svankensen » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:10 am

I think I love you!

nicholizard

Post by nicholizard » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:40 am

Svankensen wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:10 am
I think I love you!
:blush: This post is from a couple weeks ago so lots of new stuff has been added too!

nicholizard

Post by nicholizard » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:17 am

Version 2.5.4.1 is out! Includes:
  • Achievements
  • Fix for Ranger sprite not showing up
  • You can now drop/pick up floor key
  • Indicator of how close to double leveling you are
  • Indicator of which tiles will be hit by shotgun/cleave/spray weapons (hold control)
Also includes new weapons, recipes, and other small changes that are listed in the changelog.

Release video: https://youtu.be/I__PAltzJu8

Leinkov

Post by Leinkov » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:47 pm

I am going to test this mod extensively. I'm downloading it now, and will report soon (also, I will read the changelog). In the meantime - here's the post with bugs I posted a year ago on GoG: https://www.gog.com/forum/sword_of_the_ ... _this_game

Svankensen

Post by Svankensen » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:18 am

Been watching (listening mostly) your youtube videos since I don't really have time to play until the next year, but I' trying to spread the good word on your work mate. Specially loved the quality of life mods you made. Keep it up!

nicholizard

Post by nicholizard » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:59 am

Svankensen wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:18 am
Been watching (listening mostly) your youtube videos since I don't really have time to play until the next year, but I' trying to spread the good word on your work mate. Specially loved the quality of life mods you made. Keep it up!
Hey thanks for trying to get the word out! Hope you get a chance to play (and give feedback) next year :D

nicholizard

Post by nicholizard » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:03 am

Leinkov wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:47 pm
I am going to test this mod extensively. I'm downloading it now, and will report soon (also, I will read the changelog). In the meantime - here's the post with bugs I posted a year ago on GoG: https://www.gog.com/forum/sword_of_the_ ... _this_game
It could use some extensive testing. I don't agree with all of your points but a lot of them are done or planned. You reminded me that I had always wanted a log entry to show skill check results. And I stole the HP/Armor mouseover for mobs idea, haha. Both went into my dev build today.

Leinkov

Post by Leinkov » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:47 am

Do I need the Steam version to use the mod? Because I'm using the GoG one (without that Galaxy manager; it's Osmium 1.6.2 as required) and I cannot install this patch. The Delta-Something.exe reports that ThePit-Old.exe (the executable I had to rename as stated in the readme.txt) is too short and that the checksum is incorrect.

I ran the batch file from Windows Explorer and the command line, but it both resulted in the same. I used the 64-bit version as I have 64-bits Windows 7.

What now?

nicholizard

Post by nicholizard » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:18 am

Leinkov wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:47 am
Do I need the Steam version to use the mod? Because I'm using the GoG one (without that Galaxy manager; it's Osmium 1.6.2 as required) and I cannot install this patch. The Delta-Something.exe reports that ThePit-Old.exe (the executable I had to rename as stated in the readme.txt) is too short and that the checksum is incorrect.

I ran the batch file from Windows Explorer and the command line, but it both resulted in the same. I used the 64-bit version as I have 64-bits Windows 7.

What now?
The GOG version must be a different exe then. I'll have to buy a copy and make a separate patch.

Svankensen

Post by Svankensen » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:45 pm

Hey again!

I updated my game and I have the 1.6.2 S version (I take it the S is for steam). Can I use the mod with it or do I need to downgrade to 1.6.0 somehow? :arrow:

EDIT: Checked the documentation, it says it works with 1.6.2, nevermind this question!

nicholizard

Post by nicholizard » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:22 pm

2.5.5 is out! Includes:

-GOG patch available. I made it using the Galaxy version I bought so let me know if it doesn't work for you if you're a GOG pitter.
-No more 32/64bit version, just 1 for Steam and 1 for GOG
-You can now see HP/Armor levels by mousing over a creature you've already killed
-Weapons have more detailed accuracy/range info (broken down into its Short/Medium/Long ranges)
-Melee weapons with ammo will now show their damage/penetration when swung empty
-Cooking recipes will show how much food a recipe is worth.
-Bio Pods and Chem Pods made more interesting
-Planters and boxes are now interactible
-RNG roles showed in the logs

Svankensen

Post by Svankensen » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:39 pm

Hey nicho, thanks for the good work. Been playing these holidays, lots of fun. I do have a mild gripe with the adamantium armor. It is strictly worse than the Chitin plate armor (unless you changed it too), and in a big way. -.5 move is HUGE. You could maybe add "unlock new items" to the game too, so we could know what we are building before we do? It also uses rare materials, which give it a huge oportunity cost. Now, I don't mind, I crafted it just to experiment, I have the lemurian spear and ceramic plate, but I imagine it could be very frustrating to craft blind. I would probably either give it 100-110 armor (a weaker PBA) or remove the slowing and give it -10 might to have it be a weaker ceramic plate armour. Anyway, great job, I've been enjoying the elimination of the engineering skill quite a lot!

Wanted to ask about the elimination of psi drain: Are the heavy psi classes sustainable without it? I remember getting empathy with the Tarka Ranger because it was a sustainable paralysis source, making it the best bang for your bang psi skill, but the ranger was a good standalone class anyway. I'm playing the engineer now and it works quite nicely. I'm using Mech empaty rarely but for strong effects. I wonder, however, how it will affect the Scout, since that class was basically a late blooming psion.

Oh, by the way I loved that you could turn the umpsuit into a flak jacket with common materials. Felt very engineeery!

nicholizard

Post by nicholizard » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:26 pm

Hey thanks for the feedback! Yeah I imagine things will require tweaking as the mod progresses. Chitin plate has been nerfed to 60, I didn't like how it seemed like almost every run ended with wearing one type of armor. There will be chitin accessories in the next update (helm, boots, gloves) to get back to old armor levels but it will require more crafting. Also the armor pools have been improved, you get less armor bio mods. Hopefully this will lead to more armor usage variety. Adamantium plate could probably use a boost, but in general I'm of the opinion that the craftable items should not be as good as the best loot drops.

Glad you like the engineering drop! Personally I had never crafted a single engineering recipe so it's like adding 20ish new recipes right there, haha.

In my opinion the only classes that really need psi drain to survive are the Lich (who still has it) and the Shepherd because of his pathetic regen rate. I've boosted his psi regen but need to test more to see if it is enough. For me the scout is too powerful late game with psi drain. She will be good at all skills, have decent hp levels, and can cast all psionics. Psi drain on top of that just makes it boring. She was my first seriously victory :lol:

The seeker and psion already have great psi regen and the player is forced to weigh food usage vs psi levels. I'm doing my play testing with morrigi and since her crazy hunger rate was eased a bit it seems manageable. I haven't play tested the seeker yet. He/she was really easy before but should prove a more interesting challenge now.

Yeah an "unlock items" button is incoming ;)

Svankensen

Post by Svankensen » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:55 am

Hey, updated to the new version, having lots of fun! Glad you reduced the size on the Adamantium armor a bit, it felt gigantic. Am I reading it wrong, or can every race use it? If thats the case morrigi has little to lose from using it, which is a nice change! I do miss the old chempods. Boobytrapping them and hearing the explosion was lots of fun, and so far I've only gotten acid sacks from them. Finally, I must thank you for detailing the damage ranges, as well as the different accuracies at different ranges. Extremely usefull information.

Oh, and congrats on making disruptor charge promt more often. I have 3 in an auto rifle and I can drain most dangerous psi users in two volleys! It is a blessing for the poor Rapari!

Return to “Modding”