Introducing The Pit Fan Mod!

Well, we hadn't planned on it, but here we are...

Moderator: Erinys

nicholizard

Re: Introducing The Pit Fan Mod!

Post by nicholizard » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:27 pm

Yep every race can use it. Going forward my plan is to make it so that every race can use every armor, but there will be penalties if the armor is too big or too small. My working idea is that there will be several sizes for armors and the classes. If an armor is too small, for each point of size difference you will get less armor since it will cover less of your body. If an armor is too big, you will suffer encumbrance for each point of size difference. This could be reduced move speed, reduced inventory size. Thoughts?

Oh, sorry you liked the old chem pods. I just found them basically worthless except very early on and since interrogation pods do a better job. They can drop good stuff I promise!

Yeah knowing what range you can shoot a gun at accurately has been really helpful for me too! Especially when 1 tile can mean a 50% drop.

Oh wow I haven't been able to test the disruptor charges in the natural run of play yet. Sounds awesome! I have a new respect for the psi blade now that I can see how much it drains per swing.

Svankensen

Post by Svankensen » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:39 am

Hey there Lizard. Just wanted to point that you added durability to the googleplex googles (which makes sense, damn are they OP), but they can still be taken on and off without it taking a turn, which just encourages scumming. Btw, you were right the Psion is still pretty strong whithout psi drain, I just use the abilities a bit sparingly.

EDIT: The google plex googles don't seem to take damage during normal use.

Leinkov

Post by Leinkov » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:40 pm

Okay. I was able to install this mod only today. I really think that a unified "person" and/or numeric approach in descriptions of attributes/skills would work better than the (currently) mixed 1st/2nd/3rd person.

For example, in Might we can read:

- Each point of Might increase food capacity by 10.
- Helps resist Disease, Poison, Stun, Paralyze, and Slow. (Does it also reduce the duration of those conditions too, in addition of being helpful in resisting them in the first place? If yes, that should find its way into Might's description)
- Every 10 points will increase inventory size by 6. (I think it's a mistake. Each 10 points increases inventory size by 1, which counts as six inventory slots)
- Every 5 points will improve your skills with the Might icon.

Could read:

- Every 1 point increases food capacity by 10.
- Helps resist Disease, Poison, Stun, Paralyze, and Slow. And if it's true: Also helps reducing the duration of these statuses.
- Every 10 points increase inventory size by 1 (which counts as 6 slots).
- Every 5 points improve Might-related skills by 1.

In Finesse we can read:

- Many weapons have Finesse minimum requirements.

But there's no such line in the other attributes' descriptions, even though it's true. It would feel better overall, if that line would be removed altogether, or added to every other attribute's tooltip.

Also, while I am at "feedback", the "Assassin" character could use some recolor to their sprites in the character selection menu (and them being inverted horizontally), to distinguish them from the regular "Ranger".

Is it possible to add an empty space before BODY word in an armor's stats window? Plus extra space before (EQUIPPED) if it's worn, please?

Oh, and I can "standardize" all nifty mouseovers for attributes and skills, if you would provide me with raw text.

PS. And Brains in SotS were worth investing in because that attribute determined the general value of the obtained loot (from monsters and containers alike)... so it would be nice for that fact to find its way into the respective description. If it's still true in this mod, that is. XD

Svankensen

Post by Svankensen » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:23 am

While technically true, finesse is the stat most people train to 60 for the laser carbine, lightning spear and others. I think it is a good tip.

Regarding the "brains" thing with loot, wasn't it just because brains affected foraging? And considerig how that worked, 100 brains was as effective as being half a floor deeper in the loot table.

nicholizard

Post by nicholizard » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:25 am

Thanks for the feedback Leinkov and Svankensen! To clarify a few things:

1. Brains only affects loot through the foraging mechanic, and so only affects drops from props by a small amount. Nothing in the game changes how monster drops loot besides RNG. This was true in vanilla as well.

2. Inventory does not have an integer "size" per se. Character inventory is defined by width x height and then that is increased in counts of six.

Might does affect ongoing resists of disease and poison, so that's a good idea. I'll have to look at whether it affects the duration of things like stun, paralyze, etc.

Indeed that's why I included the minimum requirements for finesse. Maybe it should say something about it along the lines of "A Finesse of 60 will allow competent wielding of most laser weapons". What do you guys think?

I would like to eventually do sprite changes, but for the most part those require re-encoding of the custom sprite descriptor files. I've been able to re-encode the config and image files, but the sprite descriptors are custom and so I believe require a custom program. If someone wants to work out how it's done that would be great!

I've been working on cleaning up the armor window. As you mentioned, it needed spaces in between words and different word choices for clarity.

The googleplex goggles have been fixed. They now take a turn to equip and will take durability damage.

Leinkov

Post by Leinkov » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:16 am

Great. Since I'm playing this thing, I shall provide some new feedback.

That addition of "minimum requirements" in Finesse is a filler text. I really think it should be removed completely or added to other attributes.

Even if the inventory has no "integer", wearing the Utility Belt/Tesseract Pocket says "+1/+4 Inventory Size" - even though they provide more inventory slots - while your Might's entry says 6 per 10 points. This is yet another piece of contradicting information; an affliction that ails the original game. Can we avoid that, pretty please? By changing your original explanation in-game or the info conveyed by all inventory size-increasing items?

1. Depleted Motion Sensor still displays "Motion Sensor Depleated" message. That's a typo.
2. Since you have access to the exact calculations in the script files, can you discern how exactly the Impact Armor's "stiffening" ability works in the item's description? Or if it increases Armor value against Ballistic damage - could you make it showing that value in the character's window, please (like with the Reflective Armor)?
3. Does Finesse reduce chance to being hit (or does it increase AC, as you call it in the PFM's changelog)? If yes, that this fact should find its way into the attribute's tooltip. It could replace the filler one.
4. There's "An species (...)" in Hoolari Gourd's description. Should be "A species (...)".
5. Is there a possibility of discerning the type of inflicted damage by the player? In the log, of course. Or do all weapons wielded by the player use one type of unrecognized "damage" prototype in the scripts?
6. In Flechette Rounds' report one can read: "Small, dense highly magnetic needle rounds (...)". Please add a comma before "highly magnetic".
7. "Anti-Bodies" states that: "(...) bolster an organisms resistance (...)". The developers forgot about an aphostrophe in the "organism's" word. Please add it.
8. Is there any chance of getting a (positive/negative?) status effect when consuming a "Hofnut"? The item's desc implies "dangerous hallucinations". If there's no chance for anything - it could be added. Or that bit should be erased.
9. Do Ice Gems prevent fire damage (direct [part of it] and/or over time, maybe)? I never fully figured it out. If yes, could you add that detail to their description, please? Also, since they stop hunger, can we learn about the exact value of "moments" they do it for (in their report, naturally)?
10. "Med Patches" trying to be helpful by stating that one can: "Right click to activate" (them). Can you remove that part, please? It's another piece of the botched "1st/2nd/3rd" person approach developers served us, and a filler text.
11. "Shrooms" detail that: "(...) only carry a small chance of side effects". What side effects? Can we learn about them from the improved description? Or perhaps this part could be deleted, if there's no chance for any "side effects" in the scripts?
12. "Terran Med-Kit" declares it can: "(...) reduce disease one level (...)". I think it should read: "(...) reduce disease by 1 level (...)" for a greater readability.
13. Some grenades have their origin stated (like "Lightning Grenade" is of Morrigi). If standard grenades (Frag, HE, regular) are of Human origin, it would be nice for that characteristic to be mentioned as well.
14. Some weapons possess "(vs Mecha)" suffix. Can we learn about their damage vs non-Mecha in their individual descriptions, please?
15. Still no flavor text for the Bio Slug.
16. Presence of Aias grants +10 to Might, +2 to Healing, and reduces all incoming damage by 50%. Can we learn this info from its desc, please?
17. For how long Active Stim(ulant)s prevent unconsciousness?
18. It's still "Baked Avian." with the period at the end.
19. Many periods (at the end) are missing from a lot of spells' descriptions.

And since I know this is a lot to do, improving the textual conveyance of SotS, I have a swell idea: what about you providing me raw text I could alter and tinker with? Then you could add/not add it to your patch, modifying/removing parts you like/don't like, and not being obligated to do anything, while I would satisfy my hunger for corrections?

Svankensen

Post by Svankensen » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:24 am

Seems the last update broke backwards compatibility with the saves, but otherwise it seems to work fine. Thanks for your work Lizard!

nicholizard

Post by nicholizard » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:49 am

Version 2.5.6 is out! Includes:
-Options to speed up the game
-An "Unlock All Items" button
-Game will auto assign weapons when you start a new game
-Items that grant resistance to disease (Vitamins, Resistance Booster) will last for more than 1 check
-Fixed issue with blue room inventory
-New radiation trap and grenade for the brave
-Improved unloaded melee weapons damage/penetration
-New mechanic "Junk". Can be used for crafting, adaptoid checking, and crafting/filling new weapons (Bolo, Junk Jet)
-And of course, many more balances, tweaks
YouTube

Note that people are reporting that they cannot load their pre-existing saves with the new version so you may want to wait to update if you are mid-game. I had to change file layouts for some of the changes.

nicholizard

Post by nicholizard » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:07 am

Thanks Svankensen, sorry about the saves breaking. My hiver run still works but maybe because it was slowly updated as I made each change.

Leinkov, interestingly when I looked at the inventory increasing equipment items it actually increases the character's inventory width! I never knew that, I wonder if that means that you get more extra inventory slots when you have more rows. Anyway, I'll update the description on those items to say +1/+4 inventory width for clarity

laser weapons are the #1 reason for half of the classes to level their finesse so I don't see how that is filler.

I need to get some rest after working pretty much all day on the release, but I'll look at your numbered items on Wednesday. Going to be AFK most of tomorrow hiking and seeing some of that "sun" thing I've been hearing about.

Svankensen

Post by Svankensen » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:52 am

Thanks to you lizzard! No biggie, they were gronch runs, they felt like cheating anyway. Hope you enjoy the hiking. Are you from the southern hemisphere like me or are you doing some cold hiking?

Leinkov

Post by Leinkov » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:47 pm

The broken saves issue are more than severe with GOG version of PFM 2.5.6.

I had to delete the whole config directory in %Users% to launch the game at all, at first. I could live with that. But then it got fun. Every time I venture beyond the starting area and the grotto, then save, then exit the game, and then launch it again - the game crashes.

And that means I would have to beat the game in one sitting, hehe.

There is no problem with normal GoG SotS v1.6.2 Osmium. I had no problem like that with PFM version 2.5.5, by the way.

Here's the crash report from the config folder:

Version: 1.6.2 PFM

System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: source
at System.Linq.Enumerable.FirstOrDefault[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 predicate)
at ThePit.Data.FindNamedObject[T](IEnumerable`1 items, String name)
at ThePit.Data.FindAbility(String name)
at ThePit.AbilityShortcutSlots.ReadItem(IGameReader input)
at ThePit.ShortcutSlots`2.ThePit.ISave.Read(IGameReader input)
at ThePit.SaveGameIO.ReadObject(ISave value)
at ThePit.SaveGameIO.Read(String key, Type valueType, Object value)
at ThePit.SaveGameIO.ThePit.IGameReader.Read[TValue](String key, TValue value)
at ThePit.Profile.ThePit.ISave.Read(IGameReader input)
at ThePit.SaveGameIO.ReadObject(ISave value)
at ThePit.SaveGameIO.Read(String key, Type valueType, Object value)
at ThePit.SaveGameIO.ThePit.IGameReader.Read[TValue](String key, TValue value)
at ThePit.Profiles.Load(String fileName, Stream stream)
at ThePit.Profiles.Load(String fileName)
at ThePit.Profiles.get_Current()
at ThePit.GenericAnimation`1..ctor()
at ThePit.Animation..ctor()
at ThePit.Animation.Create(SpriteLibrary spriteTable, AnimationDescription desc)
at ThePit.AnimationSet.CreateAnimation(SpriteLibrary spriteTable, AnimationSetDescription setDesc, String frameName)
at ThePit.AnimationSet.Create(SpriteLibrary spriteTable, String spritePrefix, AnimationSetDescription desc)
at ThePit.Data.InitializeCore(ContentManager content)
at ThePit.Data.Initialize(ContentManager content)
at ThePit.Game1.LoadContentNow()
at ThePit.Game1.Update(GameTime gameTime)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.HostIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameHost.OnIdle()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.RunOneFrame()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.ApplicationIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.Run()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean useBlockingRun)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run()
at ThePit.Program.MainCore()
at ThePit.Program.Main(String[] args)

The game crashes when loading "args" (arguments?). That might be a feasible lead.

nicholizard

Post by nicholizard » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:15 pm

Leinkov can you try re-downloading the mod? There was a patch (2.5.6.1) for an issue that looks very similar to the one you posted. If not send me your profile files and I'll debug it. Thanks

nicholizard

Post by nicholizard » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:12 am

Leinkov regarding your numbered items all the typo ones are good. For the ones that ask about detailing items' effects, I plan on eventually including all those hidden mechanics in the descriptions.

2. Impact armor takes half damage from blunt and ballistic weapons. For things like this and the morrigi protection array I'd like to have them show up in the armor properties, but the game doesn't make it easy sometimes to add new ones. I'll take a look and if it's more work than it's worth I can add it to the description.

3. No, finesse doesn't do anything beyond what I've put in the tooltip.

5. Player and monster weapons use the same system so it would be possible to add the type of damage being inflicted.

8. There wasn't originally but I added the possibility of getting madness from hofnuts a few versions ago.

9. Ice gems don't do anything beside stop hunger for 75 turns.

11. Shrooms have a small chance of causing madness in humans only.

13. Lightning grenades seem to be the only one that has a true racial origin. Not sure if that affects the ability to throw it yet.

14. Similar to 2, it seems like it will be a pain to add the damage amounts beyond the first alternate type. Someday, but for now I have better uses of time. May just add the information in the description.

17. Active stims last for 30 turns.

Leinkov

Post by Leinkov » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:42 am

nicholizard wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:15 pm
Leinkov can you try re-downloading the mod? There was a patch (2.5.6.1) for an issue that looks very similar to the one you posted. If not send me your profile files and I'll debug it. Thanks
Okay... the version on Dropbox still says 2.5.6. I will download it anyway, and see does it change anything.

nicholizard

Post by nicholizard » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:06 am

Leinkov wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:42 am
nicholizard wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:15 pm
Okay... the version on Dropbox still says 2.5.6. I will download it anyway, and see does it change anything.
Go to the wiki to get the link for 2.5.6.1. I keep separate dropbox links for every version I make. The previous version 2.5.5.1 is also available if anyone wants it.

Return to “Modding”