Introducing The Pit Fan Mod!

Well, we hadn't planned on it, but here we are...

Moderator: Erinys

nicholizard

Re: Introducing The Pit Fan Mod!

Post by nicholizard » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:49 am

Oops sorry Svankensen, sorry forgot to reply to your question! I live in Southern California so hiking is pretty much a year round activity. We hiked to a set of coves with sea caves, tidepools, and plenty of seals lounging on rocks. Whereabout in the southern hemisphere are you?

Svankensen

Post by Svankensen » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:37 am

Ahh, neat hike! Havent been to sea caves in a long while. I'm from Chile. Mediterranean temperate climate usually but this summer is hellish!

I wanted to point out that being able to throw the lightning spear without ammo is kinda OP, basically an infinite ammo and high durability target pistol. Pretty good for taking out bears and moles even without any skill! Also, was wondering if anyone else seems to be running out of bindings more often? Maybe it's because we have more recipes. Bindings always were a thing that you had to keep an eye on if you wanted to rely on energy backpacks for the endgame, but now I keep running out of them by floor 20-25.

BTW, Marine feels great now. Punching is better than a durablade for low armor enemies, and claws are actually very good for them! GOing nuts on the assault rifle feels just great. Also, most real life assault weapons have a 3 burst setting, which trained shooters use to conserve ammo, so this somehow feels more realistic. The marine uses short bursts, the rest spray and pray.

Also, I don't know if it is you, but I have been getting the steelsinger kit relatively frequently, and I LOVE it. It is really an item with tradeoffs, since you can use it for everything. I usually use it for lockpicking, but sometimes you just need that extra bump on electronics. Also, new doohanulator is great! a more focused hiver multitool!

Svankensen

Post by Svankensen » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:03 pm

Hey, got 2 bugs in my marine run, bot from the blue morrigi. His psi drain has never drained me, even when I get the "failed resist roll" sounds. Also, was able to keep on shooting at him even with glamor. I didn't use the look away and shoot trick, simply kept pressing f after he glamore, and then, to check, clicked on him and I was able to keep shooting. There was a stim tower in the room, in case that has a bearing on the subject.

nicholizard

Post by nicholizard » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:56 pm

Ok, thanks for reporting. The psi drain not working was because it is now a necrotech ability. I've given all the monsters that use that skill an appropriate level of necrotech. I've also got a fix for the glamor issue but I'll probably post an update just on the discord server. Hopefully I can get some testing help before releasing the update. Messing with targeting logic can have unforeseen consequences :lol:

I'll take a look at the lightning spear. Maybe there's a way to disable the throw when unloaded or something.

I've been playing the marine too and he's lots of fun! Still can't open anything but he moves through those early floors quick while you're trying to get enough skill ups to get some loot.

The steelsinger kit had a name/sprite and just a description that said "Liir toolbox. It's pretty sweet" or something like that, haha. I'm glad the tradeoffs of it being versatile are making for tough decisions! There were only a couple items that gave mechanical help so hopefully this and the doohanulator will help with all those hard new crafts.

Svankensen

Post by Svankensen » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:59 am

Check the starlance (i think) for an answer. It has a ranged attack that uses fuel cells and a melee attack that doesnt. Surely theres an answer there. Its that same lance the red morrigi uses I think.

nicholizard

Post by nicholizard » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:44 am

Not quite, as the starlance doesn't require a fuel cell at all to melee strike while the lightning spear does require an energy cell for full power. But I put a change in to only let the "attack when empty" mechanic work while striking in melee distance. :-)

nicholizard

Post by nicholizard » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:41 am

2.5.7.1 Released (Minor Update)
General Mechanics
Bound lower chances for triggering actions the same way the upper ones are bound. So lowest is 1%, highest is 99%. Previously anything below 1% was an automatic fail
Can no longer use melee weapons' ranged ability when unloaded
Tweak experience down a little bit. Seems like player levels are going faster than floor numbers

Bug Fixes
Controller MOD button commands are now working
Glamor was still not working for enemy creatures (Morrigi)
Task % display was not showing appropriately for beginner/easy/ludicrous
Monsters casting psi drain did not have the necrotech skill to use correctly

Class Changes
Marine - boosted assault rifle skill and lowered rifle skill

Quality of Life
Props won't play "being hit" sound if the damage = 0 (like the rad trap)

Recipe Changes
Ball O' Junk (requires 1 less junk)
Living Steel Patch (requires 1 more living steel remnant)(edited)

Svankensen

Post by Svankensen » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:09 pm

Hey there! Finally finished the marine hard run. Most damaging weapon: Assault rifle!

You did an amazing work with him. He actually feels like the Marine in Vainilla did: It's initial gear can carry you through most of the game if handled with care. I lost the auto pistol early on, but the sword, in her venom incarnation, broke in floor 40, and the assault rifle was usefull until floor 40 too, where it ran out of ammo.

Didn't get a simply powerfull melee weapon until floor 39 where i got the vorpal blade, so I had to juggle a lot between situationally good ones: entropic dagger, lightning spear, firebrand, venom sword (great way of "repairing" the sword for the marine!). Crafted lots of stuff, but not many weapons nor armors. Highlights are the quantum scan helmet for how big the nerf feels, and the disintegrator for silly raw power. I actually disintegrated the last boss with it. BTW, using the disintegrator made me feel like I was getting loot drops when it disintegrated stuff in the enemies inventory. Wonder if you could make a 3 durability weapon or similar that actually stole from the enemies inventory? Thief's knife or something?

Also wanted to point out that rifle parts feel extremely rare now, more than gun parts were before turrets even. Not getting rifle parrts in most runs.

Kudos on how good the later floors feel. Previously they were a wasteland, draining resources constantly and you needed the quantum scan helmet to decide when to enter a room or straght wormhole traps to skip floors. Now you can just clear them, which is good, because using the wormhole trap tech is much harder.

Oh, and wanted to report what I guess may be a bug. Fire from the firebrand keeps draining Psi points if the sword has the relevant biomod. Wonder if it would work on the spore dagger or venom sword.

Anyway, thanks for the nice game! Will update to the latest version and play around with it more to give you feedback.

EDIT: Also finally got to use the morrigi armor that recharges energy weapons! Not as armor proper, but as a way of trading food for ammo. Very fun.

nicholizard

Post by nicholizard » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:00 am

Hey thanks for the extended write up! I have to check and see if this forum will send a notification of some sort so I can respond to these sooner. I noted the bug on the changedoc so thanks for reporting.

Got through a whole run, huh? That's awesome, do you know what the total time was? I really like where the marine is at now too. Garbage at everything except killin' stuff. I had a run where I picked up a rifle and had to keep reminding myself that if I needed the three bullets the assault rifle was as efficient. You got a disintegrator, awesome! I've noticed that it will show the loot destroy animation sometimes. Did it actually drop the loot or did it drop and disappear?

How useful was the nerfed quantum scan helmet? It should still be useful but without the penalty it almost felt like cheating to me. The stealing weapon idea is interesting. You could almost build a character class around that mechanic. I'm not sure how to properly balance the mechanic though.

Yeah rifle parts are in short supply right now. I've increased the drop rates from turrets and given them to Hiver Commanders as well in the test version available on the discord server. Gonna wait for reports on that and add more if needed.

Good to hear about the later floors! Do you think they were too easy or still a good challenge? Been toying around with the idea of an alternate floor 40. Maybe you can choose when starting a run which one you want. But instead of a fixed layout it would just be a huge random floor so you'd always have to go find the boss.

nicholizard

Post by nicholizard » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:02 am

Found the setting to get notifications :D

Svankensen

Post by Svankensen » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:49 pm

Total time was some 30 hours IIRC, which isn't bad, some 10 hours shorter than my usual runs. Time saved was obviously on the lovely smaller later floors.

Disintegrator was fun, stron, and no, didn't drop anything, just taunted me with the item disapearing. I was thinking of the steal thing more as a weapon that steals ammo, not weapons, although the weapon stealing thing would be brutal. Maybe a one-off item? Stealing ammo should be strong enough even with very low durability.

Quantum scan helmet felt frankly useless. I had to walk the full border of the room just to see some of what was inside, and that was enough to wake some of the enemies most of the time. If it's not much of a pain, I would have it be as it was before, but using energy cells like the exo heart or something of the sort. I used it so little that durability felt superfluous.

Later floors felt a TAD easy, but I did have a pretty strong character (cheetah armor + accelerator boots/asclepius exosuit, auto shotgun, mag rifle, laser rifle and disintegrator). I was playing on hard after all, not insane, so it felt right. I just didn't have to cheese the later floors as much, but that was welcome. Didn't feel grindy. Specially welcome was the drop in late floor HP. My powerful weapons felt powerful for a change! I LOVE the idea of changing floor 40. Maybe just shuffling every room? That's some place where the nerfed quantum helmet would be great.

Curuedhel

Post by Curuedhel » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:16 am

Hi there. Desperately want to try this but it just crashes on load. I think I need the 64-bit version according to the ReadMe but I can't see any links to download it anywhere. Can anyone help? (On the latest Steam version btw).

Thanks.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:38 am

shameless plug for electricity free edition of The Pit...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ke ... escription

nicholizard

Post by nicholizard » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:54 pm

Just made my pledge, gonna have to dig out my 3d printer! Hope you guys are successful :-)

Hi Curuedhel, sorry you're having troubles getting it to work. Can you give send a message to me at the email in the readme? We'll get it running for you. Look for a file called crash.txt in "C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\The Pit Fan Mod" and include that in the email if you find it. Note that the AppData directory is usually invisible (but still there).

Curuedhel

Post by Curuedhel » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:39 am

I went back and tried again and realised I'd read a line of the installation instructions wrong. Doh!! It's all working now, thanks for the quick response though :)

Return to “Modding”