Introducing The Pit Fan Mod!

Well, we hadn't planned on it, but here we are...

Moderator: Erinys

nicholizard

Re: Introducing The Pit Fan Mod!

Post by nicholizard » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:41 am

Version 2.6.0 is out! By far the biggest update so far. Too many to list or make a comprehensive video on. Includes:

-A whole new set of 32 abilities based on a new Stamina resource. Non-psionic characters can now scale in power.
-Hallway columns now block line of sight for more interesting tactical situations.
-Option to start with a mobile tesseract well in exchange for increased monster difficulty scaling.
-New spells: Fireball and Summon Melee weapon for Manifestation.
-Minibosses
-And many more

Svankensen

Post by Svankensen » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:07 pm

Come to the discord!

We have cookies! Also, bug fixes and new features are released on a daily fashion, and you get to give your input to shape the modding process. The quantity of items and features added that were player requests is enormous. No need to know anything special, just play the game and give your honest opinion.

https://discord.gg/nPRWzp5

nicholizard

Post by nicholizard » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:35 am

Yep, we're getting great ideas from people who's experience level covers the gamut. Some quirk that has always bugged you? Let us know and it may get changed. Also:

Version 2.6.2 is out! Changes include:

-Scout has no mind/body skill split (for people who don't like it)
-Bug fixes for duct tape weirdness and mousing over innate abilities like Domination
-Recipes will show skill required for 99%
-New weapon, minibosses, etc
-Mk4 bots drop welding goo now
-Some of the miniboss drops have been improved (work in progress)

Leinkov

Post by Leinkov » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:46 pm

One random dude achieved more in 90 days or so than a whole team did in a few years. Of course, he built upon what was there, and only implemented/revamped new things, but this is how one can sum this modification up - quick, effective and responsive.

Live communication and practically online feedback management are what made this stuff really shine. Discord (and other alternatives that are already popping up) is here and it's as hot as IRC was, yet it gives more power to a person (creator) who can do much more in less time.

If anyone is ever going to create something, they should remember that people want to be heard, and will reply with enthusiasm when they are heard.

This is an important lesson.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:14 pm

Seriously?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:17 pm

Wow.

Yes.

This has been a lesson indeed.
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:30 pm

Leinkov wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:46 pm
One random dude achieved more in 90 days or so than a whole team did in a few years. Of course, he built upon what was there, and only implemented/revamped new things, but this is how one can sum this modification up - quick, effective and responsive.

This is an important lesson.
That was rude. I'm guessing you didn't consider some of the implications or connotations.

1) Said "random dude" clearly has free time, a love of the game, and a not-inconsiderable amount of programming skill. Props to nicholizard for the work he and others have been doing, by the way.
2) The OP says "we" a couple of times, so he's probably not working alone on this.
3) He's not being paid and doesn't have an office management or reporting structure, so there's a lot more freedom to do what he'd like - he doesn't have to stick with the design intent of the game, even. He can also be very responsive because he's not working on particular assignments.
4) You have no idea how long he (and others) were working on it before it was released in the first place. It could have been a week, or 3 months.
5) Creating code and graphics, working with a pre-existing base, is much easier than creating entirely new things.
6) Kerberos has other projects going on at the same time.
7) I'm guessing he wouldn't want to be set against the company that made the game, as you seem to be doing, whether you mean to or not.

Now, if you didn't intend to be insulting, you may want to temper your post a bit.

Svankensen

Post by Svankensen » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:51 am

Jesus christ. I have unwittingly stepped in some toes around here a few times, but Leinkov, you seem to be trying hard to do worse than me. I think Torezu summed it up nicely, so I won't be saying much. Just want to point out that this is a forum where most threads get replies from the game developers themselves. So, unless you want to believe that they are both incredibly stupid but somehow capable of making a game you love, it is safe to assume they have their reasons for whatever action they take on the feedback from the community. Considering they are a company with plenty of games under their belt, I'd think they have earned their right to not be questioned on their motives if they don't make changes in the direction you want them to.

nicholizard

Post by nicholizard » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:42 am

This guy again? Great replies, Torezu and Svankensen. The amount of work in a mod is nowhere near creating a whole game from scratch. Hats off to Kerberos for the amount of content they squeezed in the Pit as a small studio. Torezu, he definitely intended to be insulting. Here's a snippet of a message he sent me a while back, to give an idea of his character:

Anyway, your "alternative balancing" is shit that no one really needs. And your feel-good way of writing of a typical Americunt was retarded; something no one wanted to see. I hope you die anytime soon and stop wasting Earth's resources, because you're worthless.

Over and out, cuntfront.

PS. Feel free to write a reply that won't be read anyway. Or stay silent, like an obedient fuckwad you are that was ordered to do so.

No need to take him seriously.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:45 pm

Thats ok, nicho, we realized right away he wasn't speaking for you. And thanks for posting his excerpt. Time to ban another sad broken piece of internet culture.

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:10 pm

nicholizard wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:42 am
This guy again?

No need to take him seriously.
So I just read that treatise he posted in late 2016 on the GOG forums, under the name Czudowny, and then linked from the thread here as if it was something to be proud of. He acts like a bigoted, classless individual without an ounce of tact or consideration of others. Some of that may be the Internet Anonymity Factor, but based on the PM above, I'm guessing it's mostly his nature. Also on GOG, he rates games highly then gives them atrocious reviews (I'm not sure why).

There is a need to take him seriously, because he is probably causing some damage to others, and actions like his should have social consequences.

nicholizard

Post by nicholizard » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:13 pm

Torezu wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:10 pm
There is a need to take him seriously, because he is probably causing some damage to others, and actions like his should have social consequences.
Of course, perhaps I worded that poorly. I merely meant no need to give any weight to his opinions

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:10 pm

I think we do understand what you meant, Nicholizard.

Just as a side note: we do try to maintain a positive and open relationship with other creators, especially those who are inspired by the work we've done. Modders are, at the end of the day, creative people themselves.

As such, unfortunately, they are sometimes abused by their consumer base. In this respect they are no different from the original devs. :(

In general, I do hope that people will take away a lesson from what nicholizard has shared about how he was treated by this person.

People who denigrate, insult or belittle the developers of a game are not going to magically turn into mature, sane, supportive and constructive people when they talk to the modders of a game. As soon as their need for instant gratification is not met? They'll show their true colors. Every time.

Toxic is toxic. The person who abuses the waiter on your first date will be abusing you by your first anniversary.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

nicholizard

Post by nicholizard » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:39 am

Well said, Erinys. Have you ever considered a career as a writer? :lol:

nicholizard

Post by nicholizard » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:40 am

Version 2.6.3 is out! Includes:
  • Showing current weapon durability on HUD
  • Durability of all armors shows up on HUD
  • Health/Food/Psi/Stamina bars have been made horizontal so that the values can be written on them. No need to mouseover!
  • Maximum speedup has been changed to 5x
  • Allies have their own separate speedup bar
  • Poison damage won't cause a flinch that slows the game down
  • Pick up item windows sorts alphabetically
  • Door traps show number of turns until reactivated
  • Props with charges show how many charges left
  • Sotsdex will display how many items a recipe produces
  • Slowed down and softened flashing from items about to break
And many more. Full changelog has been posted on the google sheets. Here's a screenshot of the new HUD.

https://media.discordapp.net/attachment ... Inhale.PNG

Return to “Modding”