SFS Exeter 774

Searchers after fiction haunt strange, far places.

Moderator: Erinys

Bones

Post by Bones » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:12 am

Even though English is not my native tongue, I read it all in once and eager for more. Switching to Fan wiki mode now.

DervMan

Post by DervMan » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:13 am

Thank you!

There is a sequel, but, what with my Tarka game and other funkiness, progress remains slow...

DervMan

SFS Exeter 774 revision B

Post by DervMan » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:21 pm

Okay! So it's been a while. As it happens, there are now three parts to the story. Exeter 774 is the first part. After finishing the first draft of the second and third stories, I went back to polish part one.

It feels a bit bad form to re-release something but it's been nine months.

If you read this the first time, you'll not notice much - hopefully a subtle improvement.

DervMan

Post by DervMan » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:23 pm

Sword of the Stars
SFS Exeter 774

The off-white glow of hundreds of thousands of lights illuminated the dark side of the planet below. From the porthole to the side of his quarters, Captain William Hamilton found himself holding his breath in admiration of the view. Three of the planet’s continents were habited, the fourth set aside for recreation purposes owing to the mountainous terrain. Looking beyond the planet below, another of the five orbiting dry docks was visible, glinting in the bluish white light from Tau Ceti itself.

It was time. The Captain took his hat under his arm, straightened his shirt and left his quarters. He strode along the corridor and turned right at the bottom. Two junior officers stopped talking as he approached, averting their eyes as he passed. Barely out of school and already wearing officer stripes.

Exeter 774 was located in dock just over a kilometre away, a brief trip on the transporter. Hamilton stepped onto the moving walkway, overlooking a dock. He looked upon an old Newark class Cruiser being dismantled, its massive Node Ring stripped down to the steel endoskeleton.

Captain Hamilton arrived at the station just as a transport pulled in, containing a myriad SolForce personnel, mostly technicians, ensigns and ratings. The Captain took a seat, placing his hat on his lap and then waited for the transport to accelerate out of the station.

He stepped off the transport two stops later, walking towards the dry dock. At the airlock door, he paused, carefully placing his hat onto his head. He reached up to present his hand to the DNA scanner and after a moment it released the door.

The Tactical Officer was waiting in full dress uniform at the umbilical connection and saluted. “Welcome onboard Captain. She is ready for departure.â€

Return to “Fiction”