The Humans

All things Human, Hiver, Tarka, Liir, Zuul and Morrigi.

Moderator: Erinys

patton1942

Re: The Humans

Post by patton1942 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:50 am

But are they fighting for their own freedom, or are they fighting for their princess?

A subtle distinction, but one I would like to know.
Mecron on Rebellions: "hell no, we won't go!" becomes "Holy crap! We don't wanna glow!"
Here be pirates

Slasher
Platinum Post

Post by Slasher » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:01 pm

Whats the difference? Does a freedom fighter not fight for the freedom of his family aswell as his own?
A Hiver clan is one big family after all.
Thus fighting for the freedom of the clan IS fighting for your own family.

Red_Machine

Post by Red_Machine » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:40 pm

If I ever made a 4x game, I'd give humanity these traits:

Unparralelled immune systems - Modern human healthcare has made humanity immune to all known diseases. Therefore, all germ and boilogical warfare has no impact on them.

Research drive - Due to the short human lifespan in comparison to other species, their scientists have unrivaled drive to make breakthroughs so they can benefit from them in their own lifetimes.

Strict atmosphere requirements - Humans can only survive in strict analogues of the atmosphere on their home planet, exposure to hostile atmospheres will kill them in a matter of seconds. Not only does this severely limit potential colony worlds, it also means that gas warfare will devastate any human colony.

Masters of Diplomacy - Masters of deception, manipulation and cunning, humans make the best diplomats. All diplomatic exchanges have an increased chance of success.

Imperial Strategists - Humanity's favourite past-time is war; encoded into their DNA is an innate desire to eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate. The Galaxy-Spanning Empire of Humanity is efficient, ruthless and always thinking; they have an increased chance of winning any battle.

What do you guys think?

Jandor

Post by Jandor » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:36 pm

AIDS, SARS, Flu, Pneumonia, Cancer. I wouldn't say where immune.
Then theres all the specifically tailored diseases you could make.

Human Research in SotS is second best to Liir I believe, who gain an advantage because they can see inside things as well as outside due to Sonar and Telekinesis.

Human CH range is the second worst I believe, again the the Liir who have the worst rating.

Humans are typically Xenophobic and petty, failing to unite their planet through Diplomacy until some external threat is discovered. So I wouldn't give them any props on the diplomacy side of things.

Humans are indeed one of only two species that wage war as far as I am aware, the other one being monkeys (I don't include Ants, their Ants for Christs sake.)

Close, but not how I'd (or SotS) do things exactly :D .
Last edited by Jandor on Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anyone Fooled?

Psymon
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Psymon » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:37 pm

Frankly, they seem pretty imbalanced. While restricted in the worlds they can colonise (and you can work around that with terraforming/genetic research or just live in a dome) they more than make up for it by being awesome at war, diplomacy, research and they don't get sick. It seems the only way to beat them would be to create as much poisonous gas as possible and lather their worlds in it, which would presumably cause problems for any future colonists of other races as well.

And you could say that the human tendency to war is just the territorial instinct most animals exhibit, but on a much larger scale. Instead of troops of chimps clashing, having a scuffle and withdrawing after a few injuries are inflicted and maybe one or two deaths, you have countries of millions of people clashing, it takes far more death for the idea of withdrawing to appear because the groupings are so much bigger.
Ernest Hemingway once said the world is a good place and worth fighting for. I agree with the latter sentiment.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:01 pm

patton1942 wrote:But are they fighting for their own freedom, or are they fighting for their princess?

Were the humans fighting for Alexander the Great fighting for their own glory, or for Alexander's?

What about the men who marched for Caesar, or Anthony?

What about the men who fought for Napoleon?

Or Patton?

Or Mao? Lenin? Che Guevera?

Separating ideals from the leader who embodies those ideals is not always relevant. It is well known that Hivers are capable of turning on even their own mothers, when their sense of right and wrong is sufficiently betrayed. They have notions of honour, freedom and justice which are meaningful to them, and are more than capable of pressuring their parents to uphold those family values. when necessary.

Human children are capable of this as well, as any parent who has been harangued about politics at the dinner table can tell you. :wink:

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Red_Machine

Post by Red_Machine » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:35 pm

Psymon wrote:Frankly, they seem pretty imbalanced.

Fair point, but I suppose I could add "rebellious population" to that list, so you'd have to work extra hard to keep them happy and "xenophobic", so first contact will more often than not result in war.

patton1942

Post by patton1942 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:25 pm

Erinys wrote:
patton1942 wrote:But are they fighting for their own freedom, or are they fighting for their princess?

Were the humans fighting for Alexander the Great fighting for their own glory, or for Alexander's?

What about the men who marched for Caesar, or Anthony?

What about the men who fought for Napoleon?

Or Patton?

Or Mao? Lenin? Che Guevera?

Separating ideals from the leader who embodies those ideals is not always relevant. It is well known that Hivers are capable of turning on even their own mothers, when their sense of right and wrong is sufficiently betrayed. They have notions of honour, freedom and justice which are meaningful to them, and are more than capable of pressuring their parents to uphold those family values. when necessary.

Human children are capable of this as well, as any parent who has been harangued about politics at the dinner table can tell you. :wink:

--Arinn

Excellent point, I didn't think of that. Thanks.
Mecron on Rebellions: "hell no, we won't go!" becomes "Holy crap! We don't wanna glow!"
Here be pirates

bigdeath

Post by bigdeath » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:05 pm

Man, humans don't have any lucky do they. As if hivers were not bad enough. Jeez, crazy killer aliens are just puring out of the woodwork with these expansion packs. :shock:

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:55 pm

Read the SotS novel by Ms. Dembo and see how much effort SolForce puts into NOT being caught flat-footed ever again. :wink:

bigdeath

Post by bigdeath » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:06 pm

What novel, whats it called, and were can I buy it?

Rorschach
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Rorschach » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:21 pm

It's called The Deacon's Tale. It tells the story of a SolForce commander and how the four races learned about the Zuul. It takes place right before the BoB timeline. It's included free in every copy of the Collector's Edition.

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:36 pm

Red_Machine wrote:Unparralelled immune systems - Modern human healthcare has made humanity immune to all known diseases. Therefore, all germ and boilogical warfare has no impact on them.

I'd say quite the opposite. Good healthcare and good immune systems are completely different things.
If anything, by constatnly swallowing pills and antibiotics and all other stuff, our immune system is getting progresively weaker - it has less challenges to keep it fit daily.
halo07guy wrote: Praise be to Trashman! All will revel in his holy modding skillz!
And I say onto you: Blessed are those who play my mods - for they are good!

Errai's Hero

Post by Errai's Hero » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:57 pm

Honestly, I think that the Human perks are messed up, you throw a smoke grenade and you just beat the human empire, and the immunity to disease and junk is a fluke, unless you find a way to completely redoe the immune system to be stronger than Supe's than it would be impossible because as TrashMan said, a good health care system really ends up drestroying th mmune system than it helps. Example: I'taken say around 20 total pills, tablets, chewables and liqued medicines in my lifetime, thus my immune system is rather strong, I haven't had a cold in 3 years and they lasted about 2 days at most, I've only had a flu once in my lifetime and that was 7 years ago, I'm 14! Disease can't ouch my no thanks to the pharmacudical department (I know their only trying to help but it never helped me.)
Dismantel the ground they stand on
Give power a name
You've traveled the path of slander
Now bury the shame

Shed rejection

Learn to Follow the Wolves

Run to the blackened sky, for fear of disbelief
Run away from the hollow cries, to the shadow of relief
Run to the blackened sky, for fear of disbelief
Run away frum the hollow cries, to immunity

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:38 am

Yeah...you immunities are not "a fluke"...but your birthright as a member of a very dirty species and, if you're of european or asian ancestry you also benifit from a very crowded environment filled with all sorts of domesticated dirty animals. :wink:

And no...good healthcare has very little to do with undermining it over the short time we have actually had healthcare. Yet another fantasy of the "survival of the fittest" wank crowd. You live on a planet with 6 billion other humans, you are being exposed to a variety and rate of infectious vectors that your ancestors could barely dream of.

Return to “The Races”