Sample Gameplay

Talk about all things to do with the acclaimed 4X title.

Moderator: Erinys

silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Sample Gameplay

Post by silvaril » Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:31 pm

Heya

After reading the sample gameplay in a recent interview, I found myself wondering about start plays for the other three races and what variations some other players might have for the Humans.

Was also pleasantly amused that the sample battle in the interview led to Fan Fiction.

So I figured that starting a thread dedicated to more samples of the same may provide the following for us:

Fodder for the Fan Fiction thread

Copy for more interviews

Reading material for the rest of us...
(read: quick start material for once we get the game... :)

And of course, the opportunity for the Dev's to boast about their recent victories...
;)

Later on, hopefully someplace the beta testers can boast as well... :)
silvaril wrote:Love is Love, God is God and I am still Living a Lifetime

Disclaimer:
The views of any individual may not necessarily represent those of "God"(tm)

Strategia
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Strategia » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:13 am

Well, as for Beta testers, I somehow think that the people who've discussed SOTS with the devs while still in pre-alpha (read: us) will have a greater chance of becoming a beta tester than people who stray on to the website and decide it might be fun to sign up for beta testing.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:10 pm

We have had local beta testers for months actually.

Shadow
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Shadow » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:45 am

I wouldn't mind some posts for fiction fodder, at least till I can experience it for myself and write based on my own experiences. Glad you enjoyed the piece inspired by the interview battle. :)
Dennis J. Greene
aka
Shadow
SFCShadow (on Paradox Forum)

jason.owens

Post by jason.owens » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:01 am

Mecron wrote:We have had local beta testers for months actually.

It is almost Q4. ;)
Hardware Writer
The Adrenaline Vault
http://avault.com

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:47 am

but Q4 is so....quartery;) almost like there were 4 individual months that together could be considered a unit of time in wich a specific moment could be anywhere amongst them. :lol:

Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Avatar_Squadron » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:07 am

Yeah... he's right... otherwise i'd be taking exams in a fwe weeks... and that wouldnt be good >.<

MMmmm... i dunno about Betas... actually... In my experiance with WH40k Dawn of War, and Guildwars, you can play a beta to death so badly that when the game comes out, you buy it and get bored fast... >.<

Same thing goes for knowing too much about it... that way theres suspense that makes it all the more cool when you see the spiffy features.

silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Hands up all those who do!

Post by silvaril » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:22 am

Of course, SOME of us are still playing MoO and MoO2 this many years later...

And not so long ago I fired up Reach for the Stars again to relive my glory days...

*sigh*

So this thread is supposed to be example game play...

*eyes testers imploringly*

Somewhere there should be an Alpha Tester able to write an after action report... right?

*eyes roll up invoking Dev*
silvaril wrote:Love is Love, God is God and I am still Living a Lifetime

Disclaimer:
The views of any individual may not necessarily represent those of "God"(tm)

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:51 am

have faith sil, the reports shall come :wink:

castewar
Kerberos

Post by castewar » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:02 pm

We had an intern over the summer who fell in love with bursters (those flak explosions you see in the second gameplay trailers) and I guess bursters love him back, because he'd bankrupt himself trying to attain them (along with cruiser technology.) This is not a good long-term game plan, but he loved them so.

Inevitably he'd bump into me and as I'm not Mecron (ie not as ruthless), he'd go for the throat. It could be a backwater hunk of rock with a small group of my Tark scouting ships having a look around, and he'd turn it into a bloodbath – he’ll claim otherwise, but he cackles when he does this. I'm more reactionary with my trek towards cruiser technology, preferring to build up my destroyer technology and firepower while expanding the number of colonies I have, which makes it easier to research cruisers when I finally need them - some good tough destroyer designs will serve you well against the initial encounters with enemy cruisers. Unless...

The burster is the nightmare of all destroyers. Getting hit by the fragments is bad, but getting hit head on is devastating. Even though some ships can take a few nasty shots, they will screw with your navigation like you wouldn't believe - if you get hit hard and start to tumble, you're the broadside of a barn until your ship rights itself.

Which is probably why The Intern (yes, it deserves capitalization) loved them. He'd send packs of three armoured cruisers out, loaded with bursters - he's human (he loved to play human) and these packs would bump into some explorers of mine and just pound them. Poor junior tarks looking to make a name and earn some respect by striking out into the unknown, and he'd just paste them.

I can fight dirty so I'd adjust my personal victory conditions and make it a point to rip the heavy burster turret off his ships, but with the explorers it's a struggle. If I could concentrate fire and disarm one, I'd take it as a minor win. Those exploring ships on the rim tend to go obsolete pretty quick, so it saves me scuttling them and seems more heroic for the pilots.

Sometimes that would be it - as a human he'd bump into Martin or other players while following node paths back to my territory and have to deal with them, but one game he started pretty close and had a good run at my core colonies. This is where it's good to be a Tark. He popped an exploring group that had reached the end of the line and were basically acting as lookout for me. They get creamed. A few turns later he bumps into a new colony and it's a nastier fight, but with little population to back the colonizing fleet with planetary missiles, he sunk it. You can build a lot of ships and explore as much as you can or you can build a lot of ships to guard a new colony - this time I split the difference, favoring exploring out fast. He was close and caught me with my pants down, and the planet paid for it that turn.

What he didn't know was that this colony was the fourth planet in a string of planets that were A) excellent for colonizing and B) big with good resources and C) near some smaller, but serviceable planets I'd also developed early in the game. So I set out to surprise him.

When he bumped into the new colony I set the nearby planets to build my top of the line hammerhead armours. I don't recall if I had any hull enhancements, but I did have x-ray lasers, and in his rush for cruiser and burster, he didn't have any reflective coating from what I saw.

He moved into the next nearest and way more developed planet and everything I'd been able to build last turn was moving there - in the meantime it was fully developed bigger sized planet, the ships it had produced last turn and a handful of defense sats (remember - x-ray lasers!) His pack was dinged, but not in trouble, so they appear and start to deal with the defense I have. It's not great, he killed a lot of Tarks on the surface, but it holds him. Next round, the reinforcements arrive and they dismantle his ships. It's chaotic, but three cruisers with bursters can't crack a decent sized planet with basic defenses. Yay me, right? Not done yet.

Like I said, he loves to dogpile - he finds a target, he'll start a series of little waves. More three packs, then fives. Meanwhile I'm sending reinforcements and starting research on better scanning, because right now I really need to be able to see people coming. Not him - I know he's coming. I mean everyone else. My attention is busy, but I don't want someone else picking a fight I'm not ready for.

It becomes a human meat grinder. If he'd build up a big fleet and then jump in, it'd be rough, but like I said, waves that just keep getting bigger. And no variation. Command ships start coming along with him so he can field more of the same cruisers. But by now I have my own command ships, a lot of destroyer armours, and spitters (I call all my torpedo destroyers spitters). It's not a matter of holding him off, it's a matter of surviving his stubbornness. He appears, the planetary missiles start to soften up a ship - they get closer and the spitters start to soften up the heavy turrets - they get close enough, and the armours spread out and move in, ripping the bursters off. Once that's done, a cruiser is food for the destroyers. Meanwhile the sats and plunking missiles into his ships, lasers at anything getting to close (or not paying attention as their orbit brings them close.)

After a few turns it's more expensive for him than for me - like I said, I'm more concerned about someone else taking advantage of this - and eventually he'll back off and start to build up his designs and power levels (you get zapped by the cupcake enough, you'll eventually adapt, right?), but I've got a breather to research up myself - cruisers suddenly become a priority.

It was just too nice an arrangement of colonies - all of them close enough for nearby planets to support their neighbors, helping to produce ships to repel attacks. I was trying to come up with a great Tark name for the constellation they formed (I'll have to talk to Erinsys about that) when he went back to classes.

Hopefully we'll get to finish that game.

That boy sure love bursters.

Dano13

Post by Dano13 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:40 am

That was a GREAT read!

You really know how to kick over a hornet's nest don't you??? Now all the fans here will be seething with desire and need!

Does anyone else think of those little critters in 'Aliens' when the term 'Bursters' is employed? I keep thinking of ships firing dozens of tiny aliens, freshly emerged from their gestation ....

Dano

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:59 am

You would be better off thinking shotgun blast or shrapnel grenade. :wink:

The Intern
Kerberos Intern

Post by The Intern » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:29 am

Thanks for the great intro Castwar. Yes it’s me The Intern here to thrill you with stories of great battles fought against Castwar and Mecron while play testing. My first tale takes place in a large and long game that myself, Mecron, and, Castwar were playing. It was about halfway through the game so every one had antimatter and cruisers along with many other techs on the tree.

I had just finished colonizing a size six planet when I noticed that Mecron (playing as the Hivers) had just landed on a small planet right next door to it, having faced Hivers (and Mecron Before) before I knew that the only thing I could do was move all the ships I could spare to my planet and wait for the eventual flood of Hiver ships to begin. Three turns latter Mecron chooses to strike and comes in at sub light speed on my systems edge,
The battle begins

First of Mecron is playing Hiver so he has the advantage of being able to warp in ships from any other system with a gate BUT, and this is the important part, his gate ship has to survive the first and second combat rounds so I only have two chances to kill his gate. As the battle starts I go to my sensor manager (map) and the first thing I see is.. nothing, Mecron appears to have brought a Jammer along with him. Thus limiting me to visual targeting. The next thing I do is send in my four ArchAngel cruisers (hammerhead, armour, antimatter) which are loaded to the brim with missiles and my favourite weapon of all time, The Burster, as he sends his first ships toward me I ignore them trusting planetary defence to take care of them and in stead I focus on the bigger prize, his gate ship. As I get closer to were I suspect his gate ship will be I notice a ship traveling towards me, as it gets closer it dawns on me, it’s a bloody dreadnought!!!! For those of you who don’t know a dreadnought is THREE TIMES the size of a cruiser, well armed, and tremendously expensive. So even one can tip the scales in the favour of the one who controls it. So faced with this huge ship I decide to attack it and try disable its mission section so I move my ships in to flank it and all of a sudden it launches a salvo of antimatter at my ships disabling two of them at once. As the other two drift by they launch their four buster shells at it hitting it squarely it the midsection, blasting off one of it’s antimatter cannons. I look down at the clock and see that there is only 20 seconds left in the round so I decide to cut my loses and I send my two remaining ArchAngels out of range of the dreadnought to wait out the remainder of the combat

Round 2 tomorrow.
oops-
last words of the bomb squad

ColdSteel
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by ColdSteel » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:20 pm

I just *love* AARs. :D Thanks for these.

-Coldsteel
"Repensum est Canicula".
"Veni, Vidi, Nates Calce Concidi"

The Intern
Kerberos Intern

Post by The Intern » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:21 am

Hi, it’s me again with round two of the battle against Mecron

During the strategy round I blocked all the node lines coming off of the planet and then I reorganized my fleet, putting all of my light and fast destroyers into the fray hoping to zip around Mecron’s dreadnought and kill his gate ship. After that I took care of the rest of my star systems and ordered a few things built, then I hit end turn and waited for combat to start…

When combat started I immediately sent all of my destroyers out to attack his gate ship. I sent half of my fleet left and half of my fleet right hoping to circumnavigate his dreadnought and reach his gate. But unfortunately Mecron had anticipated me sending in lighter ships this turn and had deployed four minelayers to surround his gate with a wall of antimatter mines to block my ships from attacking his gate, if I had some deflectors or point defence ships I could have gone right through them, but seeing as I hadn’t built any I started the tedious task of threading my ships around the mines to wards his gate ship. Unfortunately his cruisers choose that moment to appear and start firing at my ship with gauss weapons, knocking them into the mines and destroying them. Faced with the loss of all my ships save one remaining cruiser class command ship I did the only thing I could, I hid on the other side of the planet waiting for the battle to time out.

After combat the Hiver gate opened allowing every Hiver ship on a planet with a gate to instantly teleport to it. Needless to say the only thing I could do was quarantine the planet and hope the Mecron didn’t feel like attacking again.

Until the next time I post I must disappear into the night to fetch coffee, make copies, and search for hard-to-find games at the local EB for I am…THE INTERN.

Questions and comments welcome.
oops-
last words of the bomb squad

Return to “SotS”