Guided Ordinance (missiles and torpedos)

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Gorre

Post by Gorre » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:31 pm

Do missile upgrades apply to dumbfire missiles?
-Gorre, A.K.A. Gor'Bane.

Proud to be a born-again Child of God.

Hans Lemurson

Post by Hans Lemurson » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:52 pm

DF Racks use the latest warhead tech, as do the standard seeking missiles. DF Racks however also get a bonus from the VRF tech (precursor to point defense).
-OMNES CORAM LEMURE CEDITE-
:idea: Just like the wOmBaT which ever yet continues climbing the Karakorums in vain, so indeed is absurdism a way of life. :idea:
(Timed Notes,)

Gorre

Post by Gorre » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:55 pm

Wow. Thanks much :)
-Gorre, A.K.A. Gor'Bane.

Proud to be a born-again Child of God.

Slasher
Platinum Post

Post by Slasher » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:50 pm

DF's don't get the missile engine upgrades or neutronium from ballistics though.

Grifman
Ante Priore Wangum

Re: Guided Ordinance (missiles and torpedos)

Post by Grifman » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:53 pm

Spoil me, I've played several games fairly high up the tech tree and haven't seen MIRV warheads. Where are they on the tech tree? Thanks.

Eleahen
Doomsayer

Post by Eleahen » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:56 pm

Micro-Fusion Drives

Korgan

Post by Korgan » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:19 am

I finally got the MW missiles on a Liir game(not exactly a great chance for them) and must say that I love em, if not so much because they're fairly effective missiles, but because they're just so darn cool looking, very much "macross" style :)

manty5

Post by manty5 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:24 pm

Amen. And their effectiveness isn't all that bad either. You have to micro them for best effect... it seems their range is just slightly lower than normal missiles, so when missile kiting you want to launch them first then the normals, so that the enemy PD is busy playing with them while the normals eat their lunch. :twisted:

Crazyshak48

Post by Crazyshak48 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:34 pm

I have a stupid question. Do the rest of you prefer detonating AM torpedoes or regular AM torpedoes? I usually prefer the regulars for dreadnought busting, and I typically deploy them on my dreads and torpedo destroyers. However, I was thinking about swapping the regulars for detonators on my artillery cruisers, particularly given the success I've had with the nanite missiles on them (I play as Liir, so this is the first time I've used nanite missiles).

Thoughts?

usermist2

Post by usermist2 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:44 am

manty5 wrote:Amen. And their effectiveness isn't all that bad either. You have to micro them for best effect... it seems their range is just slightly lower than normal missiles, so when missile kiting you want to launch them first then the normals, so that the enemy PD is busy playing with them while the normals eat their lunch. :twisted:

And what's wrong with the PD eating the regular missiles first and then being hit with many mini-doom missiles?

Things Go Better With C2H5OH.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:11 am

The mini missiles each do half the damage of a regular missile. :)
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

usermist2

Post by usermist2 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:42 am

But there's more than 4 warheads per MIRV. That means that if the all of them hit, it does more damage than a large slot with missiles in it.

Things Go Better With C2H5OH.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:03 am

No argument with that; MIRV missiles are good not just because they are more evasive but also because the mini missiles do 50% more damage in aggregate than the equivalent amount of regular missiles. But, I was replying to this:

usermist2 wrote:
manty5 wrote:Amen. And their effectiveness isn't all that bad either. You have to micro them for best effect... it seems their range is just slightly lower than normal missiles, so when missile kiting you want to launch them first then the normals, so that the enemy PD is busy playing with them while the normals eat their lunch. :twisted:

And what's wrong with the PD eating the regular missiles first and then being hit with many mini-doom missiles?

You want the PD to play with the mini missiles because the mini missiles (a) are a lot more evasive and harder to shoot down with PD, and (b) each do half damage so if any given mini missile gets shot down, it's less harmful to your total missile damage output.
Zed's TARs (sample):

halo07guy

Post by halo07guy » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:36 pm

Anybody else notice this? It seems that in ANY some of the missiles your planet launches are going to be MIRVs. I noticed this during a battle against the Liir as Morrigi. I didn't have any MIRV missiles on my ships, and neither did they. I did see a planet missile split like one, however. The MIRV didn't even show up in the damage report, either.

Is this a bug, or something that was intended?
Your world can end in the blink of an eye. One event, one unexpected twist of fate... and suddenly the world as you knew... is gone. Forever. All that you held dear, all that you held close... is washed away in a sea of distant memory. Life... is cruel. Of this I have no doubt. But life continues on... with, or without you. One can only hope that one leaves behind a lasting legacy.

R.I.P. Allison Mohney and Jared May

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:41 pm

In ANY, if you have MIRV tech, your planets shoot MIRVs as well as regular planet missiles (and heavy missiles if you have that tech.)
Zed's TARs (sample):

Return to “The Weapons”