SotS Update 1.8.0 Details

Talk about all things to do with the acclaimed 4X title.

Moderator: Erinys

sorain

Re: SotS Update 1.8.0 Details

Post by sorain » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:13 am

BellaStrega wrote:Random encounters, even set to 25%, seem to be happening constantly.

I started a game at the default and it seemed like half the systems had something in them and at 25% there's still a considerable number.

This isn't a bad thing at all.

I hope you meant the Scenario, because life is eventful enough before this new update.

I swear I could see a ruler musing:
"Sometimes, I wonder if the universe is just resentful that it does not get to fight in wars like we do and compensates with things like this."
The brain gets its power from performing many parallel operations, a computer from performing operations very quickly.

BellaStrega

Post by BellaStrega » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:13 am

No, I meant the single-player games, not the new scenario.

I don't know how events compare to pre-1.8 events, as I just bought SotS. I was comparing them to random events in other 4x games.

Arghy

Post by Arghy » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:17 am

Really? i usually play on hard with encounters set to 200% and i had to edit the crap out of the encounters file to increase the amount cause i went to many turns with nothing happening.

My dream is to have all of the major encounters at once--except for the peace keeper cause seriously fuck that guy, "oh building an expedition fleet? CEASE YOUR HOSTILE AGGRESSION!" welp there gos 40m worth of ships and orbital structures.

BellaStrega

Post by BellaStrega » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:23 am

Maybe I was just (un)lucky?

But the events I'm getting at 25% are still better than other 4x games. Much higher frequency than, say, GalCiv 2.

SotS in general feels like it's built around getting you into action faster than most 4xes, which I really like. It's nice to immediately be able to field armed ships and not wait 20 years to put out a single colonizer. :)

Laura

Post by Laura » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:09 pm

BellaStrega wrote:Maybe I was just (un)lucky?

But the events I'm getting at 25% are still better than other 4x games. Much higher frequency than, say, GalCiv 2.

SotS in general feels like it's built around getting you into action faster than most 4xes, which I really like. It's nice to immediately be able to field armed ships and not wait 20 years to put out a single colonizer. :)

The SotS universe certainly is a busy place :)
That said, swarm encounters can't really be said to be random; it's more like a special faction. The same is generally true of Von Neumann encounters.

BellaStrega

Post by BellaStrega » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:45 pm

Laura wrote:
BellaStrega wrote:Maybe I was just (un)lucky?

The SotS universe certainly is a busy place :)
That said, swarm encounters can't really be said to be random; it's more like a special faction. The same is generally true of Von Neumann encounters.

Yeah, I didn't mean those, although both were in my first game.

Will the Great

Post by Will the Great » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:58 pm

nickersonm wrote:A hefty 154MB, and the GG servers seem to be slow today. I'll add a mirror on my server once I have it downloaded.

Edit: mirrored on my server.

Muchas gracias, amigo.

Tupeco

Post by Tupeco » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:27 pm

nickersonm wrote:http://patches.gamersgate.com/sots-1.8.0-en-update-install-cand3.exe

A hefty 154MB, and the GG servers seem to be slow today. I'll add a mirror on my server once I have it downloaded.

Edit: mirrored on my server.

Very much appreciated. The patch seems to work with the Steam version, too, with the only hurdle being that the patcher requires 5GB of free disk space (doesn't use it up, though).

Madscientist

Post by Madscientist » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:51 pm

<<I know reading once Grand Menaces tend to have their chance of appearing effected by how busy you are with other wars. The more at peace you (and other players be AI or not) are, the more likely they show up earlier. I don't know about regular randoms but if they too are effected by this, that explains why their rate may drop if you are in a 3 front war.--

--Answered by Mecron, this is not the case.>>

Yes the Space Bees and VN are more like 'special factions', though their rate of spreading and initial encounter is influenced by the random encounter slider, in the end they can be culled or wiped out in a course of a game.

I personally play at 50%, the 4 VN Berserker attacks in a row kind was not an experience I wanted to repeat. But yes, it is what I like about SotS, the randoms can be jarring to your colonies and provides a challenge or at worst makes you more prudent. I always like seeing an encounter which I have not seen in a previous play through.
Last edited by Madscientist on Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:59 pm

"I know reading once Grand Menaces tend to have their chance of appearing effected by how busy you are with other wars. The more at peace you (and other players be AI or not) are, the more likely they show up earlier. I don't know about regular randoms but if they too are effected by this, that explains why their rate may drop if you are in a 3 front war."

Ummmm....No.

AnarchCassius

Post by AnarchCassius » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:01 pm

Map type greatly affects how Swamers play out. In most games they are a minor nuisance that goes away. In the map type with small clusters around a central one... they had a ton of time to colonize the core and started targeting the outer clusters before most players had gone inward. It's over 300 turns in and we're still facing constant silicon queen incursions and having to defend mining worlds. Only a nuisance at this point and with higher tech the swarmer wars will soon finally be over but they really had a good run.

KilsonX

Post by KilsonX » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:28 pm

So so so tempted ...

That was Close...
Already have bought SotS 3 times BoB 2 times and MoC and Any once..
I think I have done my share... Just the box would look so good in my collection.. and would make reinstalling after the annually reinstall of windows easier.

Must Resist ...

Madscientist

Post by Madscientist » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:40 pm

Mecron wrote:Ummmm....No.

The source must have been wrong, gonna probably try to find it again to make sure I am not the one that misread it. Glad to be corrected, I hate being the one to spread false data. Obviously nothing tops the word of Mecron himself ;).

Question is, does war/peace only influence GM appearence or is that info also incorrect?

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:13 pm

Madscientist wrote:<<I know reading once Grand Menaces tend to have their chance of appearing effected by how busy you are with other wars. The more at peace you (and other players be AI or not) are, the more likely they show up earlier. I don't know about regular randoms but if they too are effected by this, that explains why their rate may drop if you are in a 3 front war.--

Grand Menaces have never been affected by your own empire's business with wars, and more or less war on a galactic scale between all empires has never been determined to have any effect on their appearance. Planet randoms such as the swarm and asteroid monitors are likewise unaffected by how frequently you are fighting battles.

Only random encounters that come visit your planets, such as specters, asteroids, and slaver raids, are affected by how much combat you're seeing. VNs and trade route pirates operate something like randoms, but have special rules regarding the frequency of their appearance, so you can't avoid seeing these by being busy in wars.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Arghy

Post by Arghy » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:24 pm

Goddamn i tried to DL the 1.8 patch because steam is taking its sweet time and its pretty much impossible. Does anyone have a link to the patch? i dont want to install a huge patcher that i'll never use again to DL a 154mb patch.

Return to “SotS”