What is the level of firepower for SotS?

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.

What is the level of firepower for SotS?

Postby Terran Empire » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:20 am

Okay I have a question thats been nagging at me for awhile now; what is the level of firepower for SotS weapons? Kilotons? Megatons? Gigatons? I know that each weapon does xnumber of damage but without a reference that does me no good and has left me stumped.

I have been wondering this because I've had this idea of writing a B5 & SotS crossover and well, I need an idea of where to rank SotS so it doesn't become a curbstomp in either direction. I think that fission era to early-fusion era would be comparable to B5, but when you start rolling out am cannons, meson beams and the like during the am era the firepower begins to favor SotS. Especially when you take into account that compared to B5, SotS ships are tiny.

On a related note; how fast is SotS ftl speed? Because if I assume that one turn = one week, thats kind of slow compared to B5, but then that presents me with another problem, SotS industry would be godlike with that assumption.

So any help would be very appreciated.
"The best swordsman in the world does not fear the second best. He fears the worst, because he has no idea what the idiot is going to do next." -Unknown
Terran Empire

Re: What is the level of firepower for SotS?

Postby Kunosoura » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:20 am

I'm not sure about weapon yields, but I can probably mention a little about travel speeds.

Assuming antimatter Hivers travel at just below light speed, and assuming that the in-game unit of distance on the strategic map is a light-year, that'd mean each turn is approximately a year. Though I have heard that in-fiction travel speeds might be much quicker than this, for species other than Hivers at least.
Kunosoura

Postby pRev » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:47 am

I was also under the impression that 1 turn equals roughly 1 year. Mostly, though, 1 turn is, well, 1 turn. A totally arbitrary number that is there purely to process game events and lay down a baseline for in-game balancing. That's the problem with these sort of crossovers, you just don't have a common baseline.
pRev

Postby DervMan » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:55 am

Yes! One turn is one unit of game time! :)

For my own fiction so far, travel through Nodespace is much quicker, a trip will take weeks rather than years. The battles in the game represent all the military activity during the game time unit, not the one battle...
DervMan

Postby Terran Empire » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:16 pm

Kunosoura wrote:Assuming antimatter Hivers travel at just below light speed, and assuming that the in-game unit of distance on the strategic map is a light-year, that'd mean each turn is approximately a year. Though I have heard that in-fiction travel speeds might be much quicker than this, for species other than Hivers at least.

Well at the least that gives me a reference to which to measure ftl speeds from. Thanks.

pRev wrote:I was also under the impression that 1 turn equals roughly 1 year. Mostly, though, 1 turn is, well, 1 turn. A totally arbitrary number that is there purely to process game events and lay down a baseline for in-game balancing. That's the problem with these sort of crossovers, you just don't have a common baseline.

This is what I was frustrated about. Since one turn is an arbitrary number it was difficult for me to compare the two verses.

DervMan wrote:For my own fiction so far, travel through Nodespace is much quicker, a trip will take weeks rather than years. The battles in the game represent all the military activity during the game time unit, not the one battle...

This is what I was going to do at the beginning but then my inner geek wanted to be as accurate as possible when concerning weapon yields, ftl speed, and what not; so it seems I may have to fudge the speed a bit.

For those of you interested in the crossover...
I was going for what would humanity due if the End of Flesh scenario resulted in failure? I was thinking that during the turmoil of the approaching AI fleets, Solforce made a last ditch defense in orbit of Earth ala the Battle of the Line from B5; while they sent an 'Ark' through nodespace using a highly experimental nodedrive variant that instead of opening into nodespace, tore a whole through the multiverse and spit them out in Sol of the B5 verse 20 years before first contact with the Centari.
"The best swordsman in the world does not fear the second best. He fears the worst, because he has no idea what the idiot is going to do next." -Unknown
Terran Empire

Postby Mecron » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:25 pm

a plasma cannon bolt is roughly equivalent to a pulse cannon bolt in terms of damage.
Mecron
Kerberos

Postby Terran Empire » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:33 pm

Thanks Mecron :thumbsup: That gives me a starting point to scale the weapons from. So does that mean I can assume the heavy pulse cannons on a nova are roughly equivalent to a heavy plasma cannon?

If thats true, I'd like to see the minbari's faces when they meet am cannon armed novas :twisted:
Terran Empire

Postby Mecron » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:34 pm

Humans=HCL's
Minbari=Lancers
Shadows=Cutting Beams
Mecron
Kerberos

Postby fiendishrabbit » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:37 pm

Mecron wrote:Humans=HCL's
Minbari=Lancers
Shadows=Cutting Beams

I always figured that if I ever made a B5 mod then SOTS is the engine of choice. No question about it. Pretty much everything (including beams, guns, fighters, energymines, Centauri mass-driver ships etc) is just waiting there for some 3D modelling and a bit of fairly simple textfile scripting.

Of course SOTS would also be my engine of choice for Battlefleet Gothic (although carriers would be a mess) or in fact any other space genre there is that you could base a strategy game on.
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.
fiendishrabbit

Postby Terran Empire » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:37 am

Mecron wrote:Humans=HCL's
Minbari=Lancers
Shadows=Cutting Beams

Thanks. After you stated that a plasma cannon = a pulse cannon; I figured that those were the yields for the beams respectively.

So given your stated stats an Omega's loadout would equate to

6 Heavy Particle Lasers = 6 HCL's
6 Heavy Pulse Cannons = 6 Heavy Plasma Cannons
12 Particle/Lasers = 12 HCL's at half power maybe?
12 Pulse Cannons = 12 Plasma Cannons
2 Fusion missiles launchers(I can't remember the # of tubes tho)
18 Defense Grid Energy Projectors(Interceptors) = Laser pd?

Thats a heck of loadout by SotS terms but, an Omega is 1,714.3 meters long while dread is 270 meters long; (thats a little over 6 times longer!)so given its sheer size its dakka is weak comparatively. I'm sure Solforce can fix this error in judgment. :)

The younger races are going to be very afraid of SolForce/EA ship this time around hehe.
Terran Empire

Postby Mesaia » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:31 am

There has to be some reason why EA needed 1.7km in order to fit all that in where SolForce manages to squeeze in much more bang in a much smaller space.

Can't fairly compare the ships without taking in the whole engineering and science backgrounds of the universes involved. Unless you're using magic to put the ships from the different universes together...

In which case EA/Minbari/Shadow ships would have maybe 2 times the firepower of a comparative Fission/Fusion/AM CR and be the same 'size' as the planet. Tuck in close SoTS ships cause they probably won't have anything that can shoot you from close up.
Mesaia

Postby fiendishrabbit » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:15 pm

Mesaia wrote:There has to be some reason why EA needed 1.7km in order to fit all that in where SolForce manages to squeeze in much more bang in a much smaller space.

There is a simple answer.

This is a white star bridge (pretty banged up, but still).

This is about equivalent to a SolForce bridge (although the SolForce bridge would be somewhat teched up)

:thumbsup:

Hint: They squeeze people in like Sardines in SOTS vessels.
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.
fiendishrabbit

Postby Terran Empire » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:29 pm

Mesaia wrote:There has to be some reason why EA needed 1.7km in order to fit all that in where SolForce manages to squeeze in much more bang in a much smaller space.

fiendishrabbit wrote:They squeeze people in like Sardines in SOTS vessels.

This is what has me drooling at the thought of Solforce getting the EA's industry and construction techniques. While the ships weapons are roughly equivalent; the ships sizes are not.

I can only imagine what monstrosity Solforce could build if they combined the EA's ability to build km long behemoths( AND the ability to pump out by the 100s per year) with their weapons tech :twisted: . I think SotS races would rather face ol' sparky in combat than that juggernaught. :lol:

Also on a side note: what is your opinion on human drones vs. Starfuries performance wise? or Thunderbolts?
Ohh and another thought; GOD sats...nuff said.
Terran Empire

Postby rey1 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:06 am

fiendishrabbit wrote:They squeeze people in like Sardines in SOTS vessels.

What?
Is that the way they are entered the SOTS?
lol.. :chuckles:
~ Women are not pals enough with men, so we must make ourselves indispensable. After all, we have the greatest weapon, in our hands by just being women ~
~ Maria Callas
rey1

Postby Enjelus » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:28 pm

I've always been of the opinion that sots ships were far to small to be realistic interstellar warship representations.
Enjelus

Next

Return to The Weapons