Derelicts - The First Leviathans

Discuss ships, sections, and designs.
TheGreatMaster

Derelicts - The First Leviathans

Post by TheGreatMaster » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:39 pm

We know from the Antiquarians scenario that the derelicts are (obviously) parts of extremely large vessels. Parts of these vessels are employed by the Zuul in all of their CnC sections, not to mention their larger satellites. Now, we know that the Zuul are scavengers, integrating anything which may prove of use to them, but for being so rare, the Zuul seem to use an ALARMING amount of its technology. I'd say these derelicts are definitely of Suul'ka design. In the Antiquarians scenario, the other races appear to be learning how to construct the leviathan class vessels using information gleamed from these massive derelicts. Yet in SotS2, the Suul'ka are supposedly employing even LARGER vessels than the leviathans. Have the Suul'ka been one step ahead this entire time? Are they inevitably THE ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE AWESOMENESS?
Has this already been mentioned?
We drove the Crows from their nests. We forced the Fish into our mines. We rose the Rippers from the dust.
We are the Masters. And We have returned.

Space Voyager

Re: Derelicts - The First Leviathans

Post by Space Voyager » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:25 am

TheGreatMaster wrote:Have the Suul'ka been one step ahead this entire time?

I think this goes without saying... :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum, oh TheGreatMaster!
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

Ashbery76

Post by Ashbery76 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:54 am

The Suul'ka are playable in SOTS2 so they will be no more badass than any other empire because of balance reasons.

RobAK801
Doomsayer

Post by RobAK801 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:30 pm

Depends on how you look at it. The impression I get is that they will be very bad ass, but also thankfully rare. I get the impression the Suul'ka like to work through others, the Zuul, the Screamers, etc. We know that much of the rank and file ships will be the new and improved Zuul with Suul'ka forming a more elite ass kicking class. When the Suul'ka are finally seen all but Chuck Norris will most likely run in terror! :wink:
N* makes me miss my Commadore 64 and my copies of Starflight I + II :(

SolForce Grunt 1: With the Suul'ka on the loose Command has issued a F.U.C.K. You order.
SG2: A what?
SG1: A Fight Until Cthulu Kills You order!

ignus

Post by ignus » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:37 pm

Yeah, that's the impression I've gotten too. Lots of Zuul ships and fewer, but truly badass, Suul'ka ships. Wouldn't surprise me if the Suul'ka didn't even bother building Cruisers since they are not badass enough :!:

Ashbery76

Post by Ashbery76 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:41 pm

RobAK801 wrote:Depends on how you look at it. The impression I get is that they will be very bad ass, but also thankfully rare. I get the impression the Suul'ka like to work through others, the Zuul, the Screamers, etc. We know that much of the rank and file ships will be the new and improved Zuul with Suul'ka forming a more elite ass kicking class. When the Suul'ka are finally seen all but Chuck Norris will most likely run in terror! :wink:

Not really.I think they have some sort of scary game machanism no doubt.

It would only take a one system Killer in your fleet in SOTS1 and game balance is dead,so they are not going to be on that kind of bad ass level.

erdrik

Post by erdrik » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:40 pm

That really depends on how long and what it takes to get just that one SK. (, Suul'ka Superweapon, or whatever)

In SotS 1 just studying the tech required would likely takes 100s of turns.
Then you have to build the damn thing, which will likely take just as long.

By that time the other races have long since had end game tech and, while a pain in the ass, a single SK can be stopped.
In fact, with relativly little effort by that point.
All you really need is Deflectors, Wild Weasles, Corrosive Missiles, and enough ships. Not even end game tech.
I know it can be done with early fusion era tech(thats as early as Ive been able to do it).

Now a controlable Puppet Master? Yea, I'd as soon flee with the next convey going to the next galaxy.
Maybe a Peacekeeper Enforcer will be in that one.

chris0101

Post by chris0101 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:17 am

I always thought that the system killer was the first leviathan.

I need to play the antiquarian scenario ...
"Never trust a traitor, not even one you create."
- Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

TheGreatMaster

Post by TheGreatMaster » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:21 pm

The SK may be a powerhouse, but it isn't three times the size of a dreadnought. Its armament may match up to what a leviathan's could be, but I don't think it can really be placed in the same category as any of the other races' ships...
The System Killer's just powerful for its size. I wouldn't call it a leviathan, though.
Meanwhile, the pieces of the Alien Derelicts we've seen (Mission sections?) are each practically dreadnought sized. Put three similarly sized pieces together and you have a leviathan.
We drove the Crows from their nests. We forced the Fish into our mines. We rose the Rippers from the dust.
We are the Masters. And We have returned.

MrBoom

Post by MrBoom » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:44 pm

TheGreatMaster wrote:The SK may be a powerhouse, but it isn't three times the size of a dreadnought. Its armament may match up to what a leviathan's could be, but I don't think it can really be placed in the same category as any of the other races' ships...
The System Killer's just powerful for its size. I wouldn't call it a leviathan, though.
Meanwhile, the pieces of the Alien Derelicts we've seen (Mission sections?) are each practically dreadnought sized. Put three similarly sized pieces together and you have a leviathan.

I'm reasonably sure that Sparky's a fair bit bigger than a DN and even a LV, it DOES munch on stars and planets you know. Wouldn't mind some confirmation from someone in the know :)

RobAK801
Doomsayer

Post by RobAK801 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:17 am

MrBoom wrote:
TheGreatMaster wrote:The SK may be a powerhouse, but it isn't three times the size of a dreadnought. Its armament may match up to what a leviathan's could be, but I don't think it can really be placed in the same category as any of the other races' ships...

I'm reasonably sure that Sparky's a fair bit bigger than a DN and even a LV, it DOES munch on stars and planets you know. Wouldn't mind some confirmation from someone in the know :)

Have to agree with MrBoom here, I don't think you can judge Sparky's size by what we see in Prime. If he had been LV scale or larger in Prime then it would have made Tactical battles awkward at the current scale. I predict a much larger Sparky in ][ since the scaling will be larger and more able to accomodate a truly Grand Menace. :thumbsup:
N* makes me miss my Commadore 64 and my copies of Starflight I + II :(

SolForce Grunt 1: With the Suul'ka on the loose Command has issued a F.U.C.K. You order.
SG2: A what?
SG1: A Fight Until Cthulu Kills You order!

ProjectLevyDelta

Post by ProjectLevyDelta » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:58 pm

Well considering the Suul'Ka created the Zuul. I wouldn't doubt that they may have created other menaces. Maybe even built the and programmed the Von Neumann. Since the Morrigi seemed to also have no control over this robotic race.

patton1942

Post by patton1942 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:18 pm

I had always assumed that the GMs were much larger than they were rendered in game. I had assumed it was abstraction for ease of gameplay and whatnot. Much the same way planets are so tiny.

Things like Sparky and Locust World Ship just scream of being, much, much larger than they look in game.
Mecron on Rebellions: "hell no, we won't go!" becomes "Holy crap! We don't wanna glow!"
Here be pirates

Return to “The Ships”