Anyone Bother with Ramscoops?

Research and Development in the SotS universe.
Pavane

Anyone Bother with Ramscoops?

Post by Pavane » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:09 pm

I like the idea of giving each Hiver ship a Ramscoop so that I can drop the gate-baggage of Tankers and Refineries, but the research cost seems too high to justify this small benefit. The Ramscoop can't be used on a DN, and the Long Ranged Fusion Drive is a prerequisite (which has fewer weapons than the regular Fusion Drive). I don't know about you, but I haven't been constrained by range limitations. My gate fleet consists of a Gate and Tanker, which has the fuel to go anywhere but rarely goes further than 25ly. My battlefleets never stray more than 10ly as they will invariably meet a hotter reception they longer they take to reach the destination. I therefore don't bother with either of the two long range drives.

EDIT: You can add Recombinant Fissionables, and Plasma Focusing to range extending technologies that I don't research. That makes 5 range-only extending technologies possibly available to a Hiver. Am I missing something?
Stellar Union

fiendishrabbit

Re: Anyone Bother with Ramscoops?

Post by fiendishrabbit » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:32 pm

Yep. Ramscoops is a pretty useless invention.
For another species it might be beneficial, but for Hivers it just never sees any use. Even Long-range fusion drives is a tech with a marginal usefulness.
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:36 pm

spoken like someone who never plays hungry children :bangdesk:

Pavane

Post by Pavane » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:45 pm

Mecron wrote:spoken like someone who never plays hungry children :bangdesk:

Unhelpful as usual. Perhaps someone will actually suggest a reason to send expensive, long range, time capsules off into the black.
Stellar Union

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:09 am

I have heard of a few players that use them on large maps in the fusion era (ie. pre-farcasters) to send hordes of singleton DD gates everywhere in the hopes of finding unoccupied backwater worlds they can turn into beachheads. Works better against node-using races who are less likely to intercept. Also works better on maps with lower research rates that make the jump to AM more costly.

Note that long range fusion DDs actually have more medium mount firepower than anything short of an AM era DD, so long range fusion can be worthwhile on that basis, putting you one step closer to ramscoops for good cause.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Pavane

Post by Pavane » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:57 am

OK, I can see a niche use on large maps, especially against node races as you say. I usually play in a 160-system universe. With a Ramscoop the Gate could retreat from combat and just continue to the next system. I wouldn't allow single Gates to start deploying in my backyard, but AI players might. I generally don't even agree to NAPs with Hivers for the same reason.
Stellar Union

Pavane

Post by Pavane » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:36 pm

I started my finale game as Hivers (before I switch to Zuul) on the largest galaxy, and I've researched Ramscoops. I was suprised to find that they are a command section, as I expected a Engine section since it is a Power category technology. That certainly limits which ships I will use it with: Gate cruisers. On such a large map the RS/Gate/Fu-CRs are very good and has immediately replaced my usual fusion era Gateforce: DS/Jammer/Fu-DE, HH/Refinery/Fu-CR and DS/Gate/Fu-CR. As expected, the Long Range Fusion Drive is pretty useless, except to get to Ramscoop and as an improved drive for DEs (as ZedF pointed out). At least the research cost of 10,000 for LRFD and 10,000 for RS is reasonable (but I think that Pulsed Fission for 5,000 is a better deal than LRFD).
Stellar Union

ProjectLevyDelta

Post by ProjectLevyDelta » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:52 pm

Yes ram scoop is great for maps with 9ly setting between stars :P

Also one thing people shouldn't forget is cloaking :? in multiplayer it is very helpful especially when you want to keep deploying ships to an area and the enemy likes to target your gate often!

Pavane wrote:
Mecron wrote:spoken like someone who never plays hungry children :bangdesk:

Unhelpful as usual. Perhaps someone will actually suggest a reason to send expensive, long range, time capsules off into the black.

What part of this was unhelpful?? You should play the Hungry Children scenario :thumbsup:

As for your zuul switch I wish you luck many a strong Admirals have lost their sanity playing such a race :twisted:

and lining up 8 or so Boring Cruiser ships and firing off their node cannons is more addicting than pushing the end turn button :P

M51

Post by M51 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:59 pm

Will Ramscoops refeul Tankers/Refineries in flight?
That would be very useful.

And another thing.
Ramscoops make your ships fly around like this: :bigmouth:

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:42 pm

I don't think they allow refineries/tankers to act as endless fuel sources for other ships lacking ramscoops, no.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Return to “The Tech”