Guided Ordinance (missiles and torpedos)

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
PiousFlea

Post by PiousFlea » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:00 am

What exactly are Photonic torpedos good for? At least the other unguided torps (disruptors and EMPs) have a bit of a "stun" effect when they hit. I can definitely understand them being useful against big ships. However, the photons don't stun, they don't knock ships around, and they don't seem to do a whole lot of anything. On the rare occasions that you are shooting a perfectly stationary target, Phots still don't do half as much damage as a good Particle Beam. (not even to mention the ultradestructive Neutron Beam) To add injury to insult they seem to do hardly anything to planets; attacking a planet with a fleet of 4 phot torps seems to do no more damage than hitting them with 4 missile and laser boats.

Do phots have some secret utility that I'm not getting? As far as I can tell, if i wanted to hit something too big to dodge my attack, i'd use a Sajuuk-Cor style spinal-mounted beam.
Seek the truth
Behold the truth
Reveal the truth
That is the law and the whole of the law

Arkalius

Post by Arkalius » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:25 am

They're supposedly quite good against larger ships which aren't in the demo. So they don't have much use in the demo because of this.
-Arkalius

Check out my SotS2 tech tree java app!
For the SotS prime player, grab the original tech tree java app.

Bossman
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Bossman » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:01 am

PiousFlea wrote:On the rare occasions that you are shooting a perfectly stationary target, Phots still don't do half as much damage as a good Particle Beam. (not even to mention the ultradestructive Neutron Beam)

Photonic torpedos can hit BVR (beyond visual range), something the particle beam weapons can't do. I've seen a couple of well aimed volleys take out armor destroyers well before the armors got into range to use their gauss cannons. And unlike most other torpedos, they move too fast for PD to be effective.
All offers void where prohibited, but especially in Quebec.

roy7

Post by roy7 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:25 am

When you say beyond visual range, does that mean if ship A has them but enemy E is out of sensor range but within weapon range, A can shoot E if ship B picks them up on sensors?

I'm assuming by visual range you mean sensor range?

Kaorti

Post by Kaorti » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:59 am

Sensor range is longer than visual range. visual range is the actual distance at which crew members looking out the window could make out another ship.
Erinys gave me an E-Cookie! Yay!
For those arranging games: I'm on GMT -5

roy7

Post by roy7 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:06 am

Kaorti wrote:Sensor range is longer than visual range. visual range is the actual distance at which crew members looking out the window could make out another ship.

Do any lasers/etc have a "range" in the research tree data longer than visual range, ie: they can't actually shoot as far as advertised?

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Nspace » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:24 pm

Not in the demo. All the Laser/Beam weapons in the demo have a shorter range than a ships visual range. Missiles seem to have a range longer than a ships sensor range, so once you research integrated sensors, you could leave your missile ships back and let your close range ships spot for them. :)
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

Xentax

Post by Xentax » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:26 pm

So which torp is the 3 yellow shot burts, really long range, pretty fast moving?

An enemy is using it against me in my current game, but I don't have the tech. They seem great as a first strike weapon - in at least two battles, they've fired and hit my lead ship before I even got UI control...

Elethiomel
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Elethiomel » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:41 pm

Xentax wrote:So which torp is the 3 yellow shot burts, really long range, pretty fast moving?

An enemy is using it against me in my current game, but I don't have the tech. They seem great as a first strike weapon - in at least two battles, they've fired and hit my lead ship before I even got UI control...

Hmm. It might be better to put your lead ships further back in the formation manager? I've never had photon torpedoes hit me "right out of warp" so to speak - and I tend to put even my attack formations about halfway forward in the formation manager so I have some more time to think.
A good signature is a concise and original summary of personality. This is not a good signature.

Xentax

Post by Xentax » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:53 pm

Hmm. I've been trying to get my lead elements as far in front of my CnC ship as possible, so they'd have the most time as they can get to whittle down/distract the enemy trying to reach the CnC.

Of course, if I don't execute properly, that means they blow past each other that much faster, and my lead units take a lot longer to get back in the battle.

Are you confirming that the weapon I described is the photon torp? It seems to be the longest ranged direct fire weapon I've yet seen (it doesn't appear to be guided, at least, given that they DO miss reasonably often).

stopgap

Post by stopgap » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:56 pm

Could someone clarify what bossman said about beyond visual range... i must admit it didnt make much sense
Veni Vini Vici

Elethiomel
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Elethiomel » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:59 pm

Xentax wrote:Are you confirming that the weapon I described is the photon torp? It seems to be the longest ranged direct fire weapon I've yet seen (it doesn't appear to be guided, at least, given that they DO miss reasonably often).

Yes, it's the photon torpedo. The photon torp is a non-tracking torp, and it doesn't appear to "lead" the target, ever, even with a fire control command section, and thus often misses if the target is moving sideways at any reasonable rate. It's very good against stationary targets, and some people have made it known that they can be considered "too effective" in the full game where we will have ponderous cruisers and dreads.
A good signature is a concise and original summary of personality. This is not a good signature.

Xentax

Post by Xentax » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:00 pm

Well, you don't really have to know more than "longer range than most weapons".

The short version is, the ship can shoot farther than it can see - just as with any modern artillery (naval or otherwise). So, if you have any other way to target something - another ship, good enough scanners, etc., your ship can fire on something that it can't see.

This isn't obvious to the player, since we can see anything that ANY of our ships can see, not just whatever units we have selected.

What I don't know is whether (in the demo or otherwise), you'll be able to pick things up on sensors that *noone* can see yet. Also unclear to me is whether you have to have integrated sensors in order for another ship to "spot" for your "BVR" weapons.

Elethiomel
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Elethiomel » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:03 pm

stopgap wrote:Could someone clarify what bossman said about beyond visual range... i must admit it didnt make much sense

I thought it makes perfect sense, but here goes:

Sensors range is longer than visual range. This is even more true once you have Integrated Sensors and the ability to use sensor information from your entire fleet at once.

So the reason why you often can't see enemy ships before they come closer is because your crews can't see them.

This visual range is longer than the maximum range for demo-level beams.

Photon Torpedoes can shoot at stuff that's further away than the crews can see. This means that you can leave your photon torpedo ships far to the back, while your other ships can seek out targets for them.

stopgap

Post by stopgap » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:41 pm

cool i was pretty sure that was it, just wanted to make sure.
Veni Vini Vici

Return to “The Weapons”