The Morrigi

All things Human, Hiver, Tarka, Liir, Zuul and Morrigi.

Moderator: Erinys

Coyote27

Re: The Morrigi

Post by Coyote27 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:56 am

I take it the Greeks had a lot of memorable encounters with early Travellers, then. ;)
"In the absence of any orders, go find something and kill it." -Erwin Rommel

jad4400

Post by jad4400 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:03 am

Erinys wrote:Absolutely.

The leader of a Morrigi planet is known as the "De Meter", Mother of the World. "Meter" in general is a respectful term, and small children will address their female parent as "Mete", "Mommy", but as an adult when addressing the woman who actually gave birth to you, you generally call her "Delphyne", "Womb".

When addressing any powerful land-holder, the proper term of respect is "Kthonia", "She Who Holds Rights to the Land". If you wish to be respectful to a Morrigi woman but you are not certain whether you are within territory that she owns, you could use the generic "Anaxa", "Regal Lady". A woman who is older than you are is "Semne", "Revered One". A priestess can be "Hagnia", "Holy One". If she has prophetic powers, she may be a "Pythia", "Oracle" or "Prophetess".

Women who excel in building and manufacturing are typically called "Technea", "Mistress of Work". In sciences there are many titles, but the most common is "Phosphora", "Light-bringer".

When addressing any woman who outranks her within the tribe, a Morrigi girl would address her as "Megale" ("Greater-than-I"). A tribal leader is usually "Potnea" ("Queen"), although this term is tricky, as it is also used of Goddess figures. In the court of law, a tribal leader is addressed as "Thesmia", "Law-giver".

Finally, a woman with a particularly powerful feminine Glamour is called Daimea, "Terrifying One".

Hope that helps! :D

--Arinn

Indeed, it helped me very much thank you. Also I just wanted to say that I really like all the rich back grounds you created for each race, it really makes the whole game special. Keep up the awesome work :thumbsup:

DervMan

Post by DervMan » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:16 am

Many thanks for the post, as always! :)

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:25 am

Coyote27 wrote:I take it the Greeks had a lot of memorable encounters with early Travellers, then. ;)

Hmmmm....

Cecrops
Ericthonius

Think so? ;)

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:47 pm

What would be the correct way to politely approach the Morrigi you have not met previously, in space and planetside?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:36 pm

Approaching a tribe, or an individual? Male or female? It does make a difference.

In general, the most polite way to approach Morrigi is individually. Morrigi respect personal courage and they often found political relationships on personal relationships. One individual in powered armor who stands on the deck of a Morrigi command ship to address the zo'khan of the fleet will get much farther than the same person sitting in the command chair of a warship behind a bristling wall of guns. One person in a vulnerable shuttle requesting permission to land and seek audience with a Morrigi planetary leader will get much farther without posing a military threat as well.

Even the most powerful tribal leaders, including those who have rights of descent, must seek permission before descending into the atmosphere of a Morrigi world. Nothing is taken for granted.

So far as individual Morrigi go, this varies with personality. Some Morrigi still enjoy playing games with their Glamour, male and female, and this can be...disconcerting, to say the least. In general, females will respect you more if you master all signs of fear, no matter how terrifying they become--and they will test your resistance, simply as a matter of course. Males are more vulnerable to emotional manipulation of various kinds; they enjoy being praised for their good qualities, and can be provoked by perceived criticism of ANY manly virtue, including beauty or cleverness.

Almost any social contact can be smoothed and made pleasant by offering a gift. Morrigi have very powerful social traditions surrounding gift exchange and the relationship between guest and host. If you wish to guarantee your safe passage in any tribe, giving a precious gift to its leader is a clever move. Not only is he or she obligated to give you something in return, but if the gift is accepted, you then fall beneath that leader's aegis of protection. Anyone who harms you violates his/her hospitality, and is issuing a challenge to his/her authority which must be answered.

--Arinn
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:59 am

Ah, so the Morrigi like you best away from your comrades, vulnerable and bringing your most valued posession to them. I like their thinking. :)

Should the gift be for the leader or the tribe? Something rare and valuable from home might satisfy a male leader, but I have difficulty seeing what one might gift to an entire tribe.

Are these political relationships built on personal relationships vulnerable to one individual being deposed or killed, or is there an expectation for new leaders to uphold the agreements of their predecessors?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:26 pm

If you want a relationship with the tribe, the first thing to do is to make a bond with their leader. Once that is done, the gifts that are given to a whole tribe rather than a single individual are feasts, performance art, and equipment that improves quality of life for all--the Hivers make air and water filtration systems, for example, which are highly prized by all other races.

Morrigi appreciate the arts and are quite fond of live performances, particularly of plays. And from the actor's point of view, they are the best audience members in the universe. Their Glamour tends to bleed onto the stage as they become engaged with the story, boosting the charisma and intensity of the actors.

--Arinn

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:18 pm

I suspect they are the best audience to have if you're putting on something worth watching and the worst audience to have if you are putting out run of the mill drek. ;)
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

marshb

Post by marshb » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:15 pm

Erinys wrote:If you want a relationship with the tribe, the first thing to do is to make a bond with their leader. Once that is done, the gifts that are given to a whole tribe rather than a single individual are feasts, performance art, and equipment that improves quality of life for all--the Hivers make air and water filtration systems, for example, which are highly prized by all other races.

Morrigi appreciate the arts and are quite fond of live performances, particularly of plays. And from the actor's point of view, they are the best audience members in the universe. Their Glamour tends to bleed onto the stage as they become engaged with the story, boosting the charisma and intensity of the actors.

--Arinn

Makes me flash on some ancient Greek amphitheater or Shakespeares' Globe theater with Morrigi sprinkled amongst the audience enhancing the performance. :thumbsup:
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

o_o

Post by o_o » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:44 pm

If an average Morrigi were to be gifted a piece of technology that's better than comparable relics from their ancestors, would their cultural superiority complex override their natural curiosity and gratitude?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:05 pm

Almost nothing can override natural Morrigi curiosity, and they are well aware that there are species more technologically advanced than they have ever been. As for 'gratitutde'...the Morrigi language does not have any word with precisely that meaning. ;)

--Arinn

o_o

Post by o_o » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:12 pm

Erinys wrote:Almost nothing can override natural Morrigi curiosity, and they are well aware that there are species more technologically advanced than they have ever been. As for 'gratitutde'...the Morrigi language does not have any word with precisely that meaning. ;)

--Arinn

That last part is actually pretty interesting considering the huge emphasis on gift giving as part of their culture. If it's not just a quick quip, I'd love to hear a bit more about why.

Illanair

Post by Illanair » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:20 pm

Maybe it's a hint at trade? Something for something. They don't have words for gratitude because of their mercantile nature? Every favour is worth another?

I don't know. It just sounds sensible. :)
bowtiefighter wrote:From my doctorate degree in self taught scifi, im guessing it would make just pretty fireworks.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:03 pm

Fairly astute, Illanair. The Morrigi do not recognize "thanks"--empty words, in essence--as a commodity of any value. If you receive an item or a service of value, you are obligated to reciprocate with an item or service of value. "Debt" and "obligation" are much closer to the mark.

--Arinn

Return to “The Races”