FACTION: SOL FORCE

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Deveron

Re: FACTION: SOL FORCE

Post by Deveron » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:25 pm

or do what the colonists back on earth did.

York -> New York

New York -> New New York

:D
soon to be a Major Religion near You! :)

GIVE ME MY BUNNY!

Gwenio

Post by Gwenio » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:58 pm

Deveron wrote:or do what the colonists back on earth did.

York -> New York

New York -> New New York

:D

Or leave off the New if there are not 'major' cities called that (here major means the person who is naming the new city cares about the other one named that).

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:41 pm

gunnyfreak wrote:1, so where did USA go?
2, does that mean we're gonna have Chinese ship names in sol force? (s.f.s bei jing, s.f.s sheng yang and the like?) I'd love that as I am from china :mrgreen:

1. The USA suffered badly during the nuclear exchanges and lost a lot of sections of the coasts during the Thaw. They eventually joined with South America, Central America, and Mexico into one consortium called the Americás Consortium, and contributed many colonists, Ground Forces soldiers and pilots to Sol Force.

2. S.F.S. Nanjing was the first cruiser lost in the Zuul War, as someone else has mentioned. There are also Chinese names among the Human admirals.

3. The scientist who invented the Node Drive, Blasky Yao-Hsiang, was Asian by birth. The surname "Blasky" comes from his adoptive father and his mother's second marriage.

4. The protagonist of my novel The Deacon's Tale is also Asian, and named Rui Cai (the name is reversed to Cai Rui by English speakers). He and his mother survived the Hiver bombardment of Asia in 2408, but he was later orphaned when his mother died of influenza in the refugee camps. He has risen to become a high-ranking Intelligence officer, the Task Force Commander of Black Section, which investigates cosmic mysteries.

Sooooo....overall, I would say that the Chinese are fairly well represented in the SotS universe.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

rikkimoto

Post by rikkimoto » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:19 pm

New to the world of SotS but am already addicted!

Can I also ask, if the major influences on SolForce is British/Chinese, how did Britain fare during WWIII, Hiver invasion etc? and what influence does it have on the current state of Terra/SolForce? Sorry if this has already been stated before, I cant seem to find anything. :D

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:41 pm

The UK lost a great deal of landmass during the Thaw, but unlike many other nations they chose to be prepared. They invested their national wealth in aquaculture and moved onto the sea in a relatively orderly fashion. Because they held fewer major population centers on land, they were not targeted for as many nuclear strikes as the rest of Europe during World War III.

Like many other powers bordering the Arctic Basin, they chose to throw in their lot with the Europa Consortium after the wars. Because of their thriving aquatic economy they exercised great influence over Europan policies, and many scientists and officers joined Sol Force both before and after the Nova Maria incident.

--Arinn

P.S. Welcome to the forums. and the SotSverse :)

gunnyfreak

Post by gunnyfreak » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:57 pm

Erinys wrote:Sooooo....overall, I would say that the Chinese are fairly well represented in the SotS universe.

--Arinn

yay! :thumbsup:

Hari Seldon

Post by Hari Seldon » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:38 pm

Erinys wrote:because they held fewer major population centers on land,

So ... their sea-city basements could have windows to look at the fish? That's the coolest basement evar! I wonder if Venice has any basement windows.

Anyway, random topic but would it be fun to talk about what human computer games are like in SotS? ;) 3D VR/AR glasses or 3D VR/AR active contact lenses which make people look like they have glowing eyes with transparent circuits in them, how did evolution/revolution of game design and possible continuation of Moore's Law change the genre, etc.
Last edited by Hari Seldon on Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:05 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation

Oot'n'Boot

Post by Oot'n'Boot » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:48 pm

Hey, Long-Time SotS-Player but new to the forums,

What happened to the founding documents of Old Earth (Magna Carta, Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, etc.)? Do the Consortia’s treat them like they are treated now, did they reinterpret them to what the Consortia’s needed, or did they do away with them entirely?

It was mentioned in the backstory that Earth has lost a lot of its important cultural works. How bad was the lost? Do the SotS Humans completely lose these works, or did just the originals get destroyed by fire or water?

Finally, if it’s not too much trouble, what happened to my home state of Wisconsin? I’d imagine it’s pretty well off with there not being much industry to destroy and being plenty far away from the coast, plus the booming Hiver market for Dairy.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:12 pm

Oot'n'Boot wrote:What happened to the founding documents of Old Earth (Magna Carta, Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, etc.)? Do the Consortia’s treat them like they are treated now, did they reinterpret them to what the Consortia’s needed, or did they do away with them entirely?

Even in 2011, these documents are liberally interpreted to suit the agenda of the state. They haven't been eliminated, but there are other documents considered equally important, including the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

It was mentioned in the backstory that Earth has lost a lot of its important cultural works. How bad was the lost? Do the SotS Humans completely lose these works, or did just the originals get destroyed by fire or water?

Nuclear fire, and flood water. Both originals and copies of many important works of art and monuments were lost in wars which either destroyed major cities outright, or broke the levees that protected them from inundation by salt water.

Finally, if it’s not too much trouble, what happened to my home state of Wisconsin? I’d imagine it’s pretty well off with there not being much industry to destroy and being plenty far away from the coast, plus the booming Hiver market for Dairy.

Anyone curious about what their local area looks like in the 25th and 26th centuries can check the Worst Case Scenario Map of global inundation. Terra in the SotS universe has undergone a 100-meter sea level rise, known as the Thaw.

As you can see by the map, Wisconsin looks like a great place to own property in the future. The shores of the Great Lakes might have risen a bit, and of course the whole region has been folded into a single governing body with all the other former states and provinces that border upon the Lakes, but in general I think the old homestead is fine. ;)

East Texas, on the other hand...not so much. :P

--Arinn

cameron112497

Post by cameron112497 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:22 pm

my hometown looks like perfect place to live. for a liir.

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:28 pm

Erinys wrote:Anyone curious about what their local area looks like in the 25th and 26th centuries can check the Worst Case Scenario Map of global inundation. Terra in the SotS universe has undergone a 100-meter sea level rise, known as the Thaw.

I love what they've done with the Sahara. :lol:

Oot'n'Boot

Post by Oot'n'Boot » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:37 pm

Eh, Madison wasn't very good at governing anyways.

Thanks for the quick response and information. The backstory is one of my favorite parts of SotS.

fibio

Post by fibio » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:56 pm

Huh, I can see the island my house will be on :shock:, time to move to San Fransico.
Buy my book - Six Seconds of Moonlight on the kindle store.

Anyone can be a god beneath the moonlight, but who can be a hero?

Formid

Post by Formid » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:12 pm

Say what you will about catastrophic global warming, but once the die back is finished all those warm, shallow seas will make some awesome aquatic habitats.

Commisar

Post by Commisar » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:47 pm

Wow, thanks for all the awesome info Erinys. According to the map, my hometown (Fort Worth) is safe. YAY. And... wait a minute.. I knew it. Those dang Icelanders, they KNEW!!! this would happen, how else could their incredibly low level of land loss be explained :D It also looks like ALOT of the Amazon rainforest was lost, so there goes thousands of unique species :cry: And oddly enough, you would think that te Holy Land would be inundated, as it is very close to the ocean. Anyway, hopefully more info (in book form) is incoming :) Ans one last thing, with regards to the lost art, surely a college level art history textbook had to survive right? I know the images in that will NEVER be like the real deal, but at least people will know that Albrecht Durer had a nice fur trimmed coat in his self portrait.
FOR THE EMPURAH!!!! ONWARD SPESS MARINES - A poorly chosen voice actor

Return to “The Lore”