Best wapons to kill planetary population

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Lich

Best wapons to kill planetary population

Post by Lich » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:18 pm

Hi,

I feel dumb, but honestly I have to admit that I can't understand WIKI system of measuring planetary damage...

Can someone please list best weapons to kill people on the planets, and separately best weapons to destroy environment?

I know that missless are great on destroying to environment, but what about lasers\beamers \etc?

Zalzidrax

Re: Best wapons to kill planetary population

Post by Zalzidrax » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:54 pm

It all depends on whether you're looking for speed (how fast the population goes down, heck with everything else) or efficiency (How can I take the population down while doing as little infra or terraforming damage as possible).

I know from experience mass drivers are a good early weapon for taking out population fast. Assault shuttles are probably the most effective way to take out a planet fast, though they do a fair amount of infrastructure damage. Lasers (and pulse phasers and beamers) don't kill things fast, but kill population with minimal collateral damage. Biowarfare is another option, though it takes a few turns to have its effect.

LordD

Post by LordD » Mon May 07, 2012 3:02 pm

Siege Drivers are an effective way but massive damage, also very satisfying seeing a ship fire extinction event rounds at high velocity, even more funny when you fire them at a enemy dread and hit.

Biowarfare especially assimiliation plague may be your best bet.

But there is a tendacy in that launching at distance quite a few missiles get shot down reducing the impact of attack, but closing in so as to give your missiles a better chance of hitting means there a hight chance you may lose the biowarfare section of the ship and thus the missiles so my suggestion is try them on cloaked ships.
The empire of Lord D has arisen run or be destroyed.

Unthinking_Pain

Post by Unthinking_Pain » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:33 pm

Positronic and Mesonic Beams (they are Heavy Beams) rip populations to shreds while typically leaving a fair bit of Infrastructure behind. Amusingly, for being the less murderous race, the Liir have great tech chances at one of the best planet killing weapon lines.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:23 pm

that is an unintending effect and should not be counted on in the long tem ;)

Warcat

Post by Warcat » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:25 am

Mecron wrote:that is an unintending effect and should not be counted on in the long tem ;)

Whoot! This smells like an approaching update (in the long term, of course ;) )

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:48 pm

BlueTemplar wrote:- The most environmentally unfriendly weapon is the missile (but we kind of knew this already).
- Mass Drivers are the best medium slot choice to kill pop.
- If you want to completely preserve infrastructure (taking over a homeworld for instance), use "green" weapons : plasma or green laser!
- But if you want it done fast, with minimizing damage, then get Heavy Emitters (or assault shuttles, obviously).
- Despite looking impressive, Heavy Beams (and their upgrades) aren't the fastest way to kill pop, advanced assault shuttles are (or 4/5 meson beams per CR).

usermist2

Post by usermist2 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:01 pm

Plagues do a great job, but generally only if you're Liir. Just make sure that you use Retro Plague, because Beast or Assim will reduce infra, and it's too easy to get the vaccine for regular Plague. Also, almost nobody actually researches Plague technology until they get hit by it, so first strike in several locations = good for an alpha strike force. Your follow-up fleets can get the survivors.

Things Go Better With C2H5OH.

Return to “The Weapons”