Are mines currently working...if so, how do you use them?

Talk about all things to do with the sequel to our flagship 4X title.

Moderator: Erinys

Macdandee

Are mines currently working...if so, how do you use them?

Post by Macdandee » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:31 pm

Topic pretty much says it all. I've tried to use mines in my last two games and have not seen them do any damage, or seen any visual in battle or test mode of them doing a thing.

So, anyone able to help the newb out?

Thanks

Macdandee

Mecron
Kerberos

Re: Are mines currently working...if so, how do you use them

Post by Mecron » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:37 pm

in combat...set them to fire...you should see animations on the ships showing the dropping of mines. If the enemy comes near the mines should activate and head towards the enemy and detonate.

BrotherWill

Post by BrotherWill » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:29 pm

I tried using mines and they seem to explode on a timer when they are about 3 or 4 ship lengths behind the ship, making them pretty much useless at the moment. I was hoping to be able to have a couple mine layers spread some out around a planet before the enemy fleet closed and have them run into them, but thats impossible the way they work right now. My question is, is that how they are supposed to work or are they supposed to be able to be used the way I wanted to use them?

SyberSmoke

Post by SyberSmoke » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:10 pm

As Mercon said they do work, but really a mine layer is not a front line ship...it's combat potential is lacking really. In other posts though it has been made clear that when System Defense Fleets are implemented, mine layers can be placed in that and they will go about mining the system for you. So if an invader attacks, they get to wade through large packages of explosive awesomeness.
Erinys wrote:Can we express frustration at having to frustrate the frustrations of the frustrators of the frustrated? :P

"Anybody remotely interesting is mad in some way or another."
The Doctor, in "The Greatest Show in the Galaxy"

BrotherWill

Post by BrotherWill » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:17 pm

SyberSmoke wrote:As Mercon said they do work, but really a mine layer is not a front line ship...it's combat potential is lacking really. In other posts though it has been made clear that when System Defense Fleets are implemented, mine layers can be placed in that and they will go about mining the system for you. So if an invader attacks, they get to wade through large packages of explosive awesomeness.

See now thats what I'm talking. Exactly how I want to use them. That will be awesome indeed if we are able to get that working.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:55 pm

If they are exploding a few seconds after launch that is a problem...which mine?

corksacker69

Post by corksacker69 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:58 pm

i too tried using mine layers and have not gotten them to work. do you have to toggle them on/off using the weapon controls? i noticed that on the mission section of the tarka mine laying ship are 2 long "arms" that seem to swing out back and fourth when i suppose its toggled on, but i dont see any little mines being dropped in space. i assume it does not work because i ran into an enemy fleet with 8 mine layers and tried turning the thing on but could not get any fusion mine damage done at the end of combat. do they have some kind of delay to prevent this?

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:01 pm

damage screen right now is not the be all and end all...since it is not able to yet assign who gets credit for AE damage. Combat is where your real info is. You don't see mines, you don't see explosions, then there is a problem. Last time I tested them they worked fine. But will go over them again for this next update and see if there is a problem.

corksacker69

Post by corksacker69 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:06 pm

i dont see mines at all being dropped with the tarka fusion mine layer. the animation is weird when i assume they are toggled on. the arms swing out, then 'warp' back to there regular position without any mines appearing.

JamesX

Post by JamesX » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:52 pm

On a semi related note. Are mines only for that specific battle? or do they stay till exploded once laid?

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:30 pm

mines placed by ships on manouver only exist for the battle. Minelayers placed in the defense fleet WILL create persistent Minefields (not at the moment though)

BrotherWill

Post by BrotherWill » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:41 pm

Mecron wrote:If they are exploding a few seconds after launch that is a problem...which mine?

The very first one, Fusion I believe. I haven't tried any further, as I figured that was WAD and lost interest in them. :)

EDIT: And FYI, I only tested using Humans. Not sure on any other race. They launched when I clicked their launch button, you could see them, but they would detonate perhaps 5 seconds after launch.

ScoSteSal118

Post by ScoSteSal118 » Fri May 17, 2013 4:50 am

Are these working now?

Shiolle

Post by Shiolle » Fri May 17, 2013 8:17 am

They should. For every mine layer you put in a defense fleet, you'll have one minefield you can place in battle manager.

Mutandy

Post by Mutandy » Fri May 17, 2013 3:06 pm

I've used minelayers via the defence manager and they work as described, BUT I seemed to get a camera control issue when I used minefields where I couldn't focus on my ships in combat. This might not be something that happens to everyone and it was several patches ago that I last tried mines so it may not happen at all now, hopefully someone else has used them more recently and can advise?

Return to “SotS2”