Combat Change coming in next update.

Talk about all things to do with the sequel to our flagship 4X title.

Moderator: Erinys

ProjectLevyDelta

Re: Combat Change coming in next update.

Post by ProjectLevyDelta » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:16 am

briareosdx wrote:
Also, will both/all sides be able to see what the other is fielding per round, or are we guessing at the enemy's order of battle?

You better be guessing. . Or I'm gonna start naming all my ships in binary :twisted:

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:21 am

You will have the same info as you have now. But you will NOT know what order the other player is setting his fleets to fight in.

Yes supply will be deducted per fight.

Briar...not really...shielding a multi strike fleet, possibly a good idea, on the other hand shield ships are pricey. Someone else may field 2 standard fleets for the same price. This opens options but doesn't lead to magic optimal answers any more than any other part of SotS has or does ;)

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:13 am

Great change, looking forward to seeing how it works out in practice. Will the battle manager be available between each combat round or does it all just feed off default locations or previous fleet position? This would also open up the defender to be able to pull in/replace lost system defense assets between combat rounds (assuming the naval station remains intact).

-Resok

Dragonblade

Post by Dragonblade » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:00 am

First post said "The rub is, positions at the start of one combat are based on the previous one and damage is NOT repaired."
So uh, that.

question: how does this interact with fleet sections? (the 3x3 grid of control groups you can move around?)
"Truth is relative."

Dr. Weird

Post by Dr. Weird » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:08 am

Nice! I was figuring this would have to come in sometime, glad its in the next update. During my first play through after I declared war, the first major AI counter attack-- 6 fleets hit my #2 system but the fact that they couldn't bring numbers or group-combat-losses to bear on me made it a little too easy. This'll make the fleet battles a little more 'Battle of Midway'-esque. (Well thats the last of their torpedo bombers-- gj, guys, looks like we'll win this one.... say, what are those little dots WAY up there...? ...!!! )

Very cool. :D
Scrodinger may or may not have been here...

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:19 am

Doc gets full points for that historical reference! Well done! Torpedo 8 thanks you!

dawilko

Post by dawilko » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:28 am

Hi Merc, are you considering allowing us to form task groups / task forces, of which would be the single movement of multiple fleets? This would allow the player to easily pull together a multi fleet attack group and conduct movement orders against it as one object. Supply could possibly be worked either way, sharing between fleets or not. To remove the abuse factor I would rather see that individual fleets are responsible for meeting their own supply requirements.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:38 am

not at this point...but the future may bring such advanced tactical planning :twisted:

Astatine

Post by Astatine » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:09 am

This should certainly mix things up a bit. I wonder if there's a new GM taking advantage of it... :?:
Life is sometimes stranger than fiction

briareosdx

Post by briareosdx » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:15 am

Mecron wrote:Yes supply will be deducted per fight.

Interesting. That means targeting enemy supply ships becomes a very strong tactic in prolonged defensive battles.

Mecron wrote:Briar...not really...shielding a multi strike fleet, possibly a good idea, on the other hand shield ships are pricey. Someone else may field 2 standard fleets for the same price. This opens options but doesn't lead to magic optimal answers any more than any other part of SotS has or does ;)

The money isn't the problem. It's the concept of "false economy". Even if a durable good is inexpensive, it can cost more in the long run if it's cheaply made. So, if my fleet with a high initial costs destroys an enemy fleet with a lower initial cost, I still have my fleet and my foe has to build a new one. Which will be difficult as I am busy annihilating his planet with my intact, though expensive, ships.

Though, combined with the information about supply, this makes the increased supply costs of shield sections make a great deal of sense. It also makes an admiral with True Grit worth his weight in gold.

Well played.

Delta_V

Post by Delta_V » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:27 am

VERY cool, this should be interesting.

cikulisu

Post by cikulisu » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:47 am

actually, this is a simple change that sounds miles ahead of the current system. this means you can form groups of fleets, say a direct-combat fleet or two mixed in with assault shuttle/biowars, and quickly clean enemy systems with concentrated attacks. it seems like that would ratchet up the lethality of concentrated attacks by quite a bit. i approve.

ProjectLevyDelta

Post by ProjectLevyDelta » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:32 am

tell me why it is simple?? did you code the entire base lines for this to be implemented??

Or you just another "professional" who thinks everything is easy. . . :|

cikulisu

Post by cikulisu » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:38 am

ProjectLevyDelta wrote:tell me why it is simple?? did you code the entire base lines for this to be implemented??

Or you just another "professional" who thinks everything is easy. . . :|

you have taken offense for some reason. i meant "simple concept" not "simple to implement"

ProjectLevyDelta

Post by ProjectLevyDelta » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:02 am

Yes, I took offense . . . :snooty:
(I also hate Notepad)

Return to “SotS2”