Viability of not using BR's?

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Gramalian

Viability of not using BR's?

Post by Gramalian » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:30 am

Do you think its viable to not use BRs at all? Could a faction get by with anti drone/BR ships/tech or is the power of BR's to great not to use?
Last edited by Gramalian on Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dri

Re: Viability to not use BR's?

Post by Dri » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:19 am

I've won several 300-400 turn games w/o ever touching Battleriders. Dedicated PD cruisers can swat them out of the sky with ease - just make sure you don't get swarmed.

They can be very good though. One BR carrier cruiser can bring 3 of the little buggers and thats just so much firepower for 6 CP - the best firepower per CP ratio has to go to carriers.

Now, the fancy BR designs can be too expensive for a young empire to field but I'd say mid to late game you should be trying to use them, ESPECIALLY if you are Tarka or Liir! They get exponentially better the larger they swarm as the PD fire from enemy craft will be spread out among them all, which means they'll live longer per individual.

Weidekuh

Post by Weidekuh » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:18 am

i would even say that if the enemy has emitters. you better NOT use BRs ;)

sob

Post by sob » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:47 am

In my last game has the dragons I did not use them. But if you play liri they a must and I do use them when I playing human.
you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Goomich

Post by Goomich » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:55 am

I don't use them, because I haven't played Diablo in over 10 years, my trigger finger isn't strong enough to load them all on carriers.

Weidekuh

Post by Weidekuh » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:43 pm

sob wrote:In my last game has the dragons I did not use them. But if you play liri they a must and I do use them when I playing human.

They are not a must for Liir. Liir BRs are not better than any other race. I even think that they have the worst standard Patrol BR of all the races. The Hiver Patrol BR is sooo much better. Only Liir torpedo BRs are crazy good. Check my sig if you don't believe me. ;)

BRs are never a must. They increase your fleet strenght but are also much more expensive. So it mostly depends on your economy and what weapons the enemy has.

sob

Post by sob » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:45 pm

Weidekuh wrote:
sob wrote:In my last game has the dragons I did not use them. But if you play liri they a must and I do use them when I playing human.

They are not a must for Liir. Liir BRs are not better than any other race. I even think that they have the worst standard Patrol BR of all the races. The Hiver Patrol BR is sooo much better. Only Liir torpedo BRs are crazy good. Check my sig if you don't believe me. ;)

BRs are never a must. They increase your fleet strenght but are also much more expensive. So it mostly depends on your economy and what weapons the enemy has.

Have you seen those fish Battlecruisers.
you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:51 pm

But those are BC and not BR, which was the subject of the discussion. Liir Battle Riders aren't all that awesome, but I would still call them pretty nice in the overall picture.
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

Weidekuh

Post by Weidekuh » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:00 pm

sob wrote:
Weidekuh wrote:

Have you seen those fish Battlecruisers.

Have you seen those Tarka Battlecruisers? ;)

And as Tarrak said, we are talking Battleriders here.

sob

Re: Viability of not using BR's?

Post by sob » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:27 pm

Same difference. It like comparing the common dolphin to a orca they the same species but that is it.

And no I have actually never seen a tarka Battle cruiser.

CPO Mzinyati

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:56 pm

sob wrote:Same difference. It like comparing the common dolphin to a orca they the same species but that is it.

No it isn't, BRs are targeted by PD while BC and BS are not. Battleriders also need to refuel, the others do not. So there is in fact a rather big difference. Anti-BR weaponry are drones, PD and light but very accurate weapons, those same weapons would hardly dent (if at all) a Battlecruiser or Battleship. The two latter however are comprable as they function directly like real ships, but Battleriders are more similar to drones than actual ships.

To use your analogy it is like comparing seals to dolphins and orcas. They are similar in many respects, but one goes on land/ice to recover and rest, the others do not (land/ice being the carrier and resting being refueling).
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:54 am

Weidekuh wrote:They are not a must for Liir. Liir BRs are not better than any other race. I even think that they have the worst standard Patrol BR of all the races. The Hiver Patrol BR is sooo much better. Only Liir torpedo BRs are crazy good. Check my sig if you don't believe me. ;)

Where as I agree that BRs are never a must, there's a lot more to the Liir BRs than raw numbers.

1. Liir cruisers are the slowest in tactical early game - BRs allow them to strike at long range and counter a lot of early game heavy missile/kiting strategies.
2. Liir Patrol BRs have more medium mounts PER BR than most Liir cruisers. They may not be significantly better than many other race's BRs on paper but they pack a major punch.
3. With high enough saturation of BRs, you can easily destroy fleets considerably higher tech than your fleets even if they are fielding PD - and all you need to do is replenish the lost BRs.

There are plenty of other alternatives to BRs for Liir for combat fleets, but for a single technology I don't think any of them compare in versatility, mobility, and damage output.
- Resok

chronobomb

Post by chronobomb » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:45 pm

BR's are phenomenal for races that are slow or if you get out teched in engines. Sol would just run my lines and try to assault shuttle my planets while my cruisers tried to keep up with them. Then I got BR's which allowed me to cut their mission sections to pieces before they could ever come within range of my planets. I usually have BR platforms more than I use the actual carriers.

You can't beat their cost for defense and the range they can operate.

chris0101

Post by chris0101 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:38 pm

There's really nothing "forcing" you towards using BRs. It is however useful under certain situations.
"Never trust a traitor, not even one you create."
- Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Return to “The Weapons”