The Shattered Mirror

Tactics and Action Reports.
ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: The Shattered Mirror

Post by ZedF » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:52 pm

Good job indeed, Starknight. :D
Last edited by ZedF on Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:55 pm

I won't provide a blurb for all of these pics, there are too many to write up something for each of them. I'll try and pick a couple of the more important ones to describe, though.

First, from a few of the 8 or so battles occurring on T115...

Liberation of the former Morrigi colony world Keu'Kessu, enroute to Ko'Velan.

Defense of Ilona from a Faithful bore fleet.

Cleansing of Archon from the Devoted.

Last edited by ZedF on Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zed's TARs (sample):

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:56 pm

Continuing T115 and T116...

Cleansing of Vilani.

Assault of Ke'Kiralta.

Joint action with the Liir and Edict forces at Chiskatet.

Zed's TARs (sample):

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:05 pm

From T116-T118...

Defense of Morrigi colony at Ko'Velan from a Tarka assault force.

Cleansing of Silvaril.

Assault at Koa'Tuun.

Zed's TARs (sample):

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:19 pm

T120-T121: From battles at Kor'Kura and Ke'Koralla.

We give better than we get in any exchange with Tarka cruisers, but they mount a lot more direct fire weapons than the Devoted do (including a lot of Barrage cruisers) and their missiles have AM warheads, so any that do get through hurt a lot -- especially heavy missiles. This makes attacking large planets like Kor'Kura and Ke'Koralla a bit tricky, especially if they have a strong fleet presence.

The first time our forces attack Kor'Kura, they are repelled soundly -- the Tarka have over 40 cruisers there and our fleet of about 12-15 cruisers and a like amount of destroyers simply doesn't have deep enough reserves for a pitched battle. We fight at the outskirts of the system to try and avoid combat for as long as possible, ultimately trading 2 of our cruisers for 7 of theirs. The next turn our fleet evacuates the system to attack the more lightly defended mining colony of Ku'Lolo.

At Ke'Koralla, the Tarka homeworld, there are even more missiles to wade through, but fortunately the Tarka only have enough cruisers there for a single wave. We fight through that on T120, losing a ship in the process, but don't have a lot of time left afterwards for surface bombardment.

The following turn sees heavy surface attacks against the Tarka homeworld, almost eliminating the population (and the corresponding missile bombardment.)

Zed's TARs (sample):

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:23 pm

From T122-T123...

Return to Kor'Kura after the 40-cruiser defense fleets have left to try to relieve Ke'Koralla (but at fission-era speeds, i.e. much too slow to get there in time.)

With the following result:

Zed's TARs (sample):

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:36 pm

Protector's Address, Humility 125.0110

"Ladies, Gentlemen, and all our friends from other races, today, this first anniversary of the capitulation of the Imperial Armada, is a solemn day. Let us remember the brave sacrifice of the men and women who died in the skies above Chiskatet, Ke'Kiralta, Koa'Tuun, Ko'Rorkor, Ke'Koralla, Kor'Kura, Keu'Kessu, Ku'Lolo, Kuikuilcos, and Ko'Velan, to banish the specter of war that has held so many in thrall for uncounted deciim. Let us also remember the valor of our Liirian and Morrigi friends, who have also lost many loved ones in battles on and over those same worlds of strife.

"But most of all, let us remember the sacrifice of the Tarkasian people, victims of their own governing class, the Kona. It was Kona belligerance that insisted on deciim after deciim of war with ourselves, with the Liir, and with the Morrigi. It was Kona ambition that launched unprovoked attacks at Talos and other worlds, and that brought about the complete destruction of the Morrigi colony at Keu'Kessu. And it was Kona obdurance that insisted the Tarka people should fight to the last man, woman, and child, when the free peoples of the galaxy had had enough of their naked aggression.

"Many may perhaps wonder what became of the alliance between the Matriarchate of Che'Kor and the Imperial Armada. It is true that the Hivers have been on friendly terms with the Tarka for many deciim. However, the Hivers have good hearts and wise leadership. They saw to the core of the matter when they chose not to aid their allies against us. We have given the Hivers millions of credits of trade goods over the last several deciim, ever since we began to take action against the Tarka, expecting nothing in return other than the maintenance of the pre-existing peace between our peoples. The Hivers saw what the peoples of the galaxy can offer one another in peace, and they saw our resolve not to allow the situation to escalate any further. In the end, they valued peace over their alliance, and I honour them for that."

"Today, the Tarka as a race are nearly extinct, living only at Koa'Tuun, where their people have renounced the leadership of the Kona and chosen not to fight to the bitter end. Their other worlds lay vacant of population, their cities in ruins and succumbing to decay and the elements. It is inevitable that some will see an opportunity to rebuild on the bones of the former Tarka civilization -- for examples I give you the new Liirian settlement at Chiskatet and the equally new Hiver one at Keu'Kessu.

"I have spoken with ambassadors from all the other races, and have accordingly arrived at this decision. The majority of the resources we have been gifting to the Matriarchate of Che'Kor shall instead be reallocated to the founding of a monastery on Koa'Tuun, devoted as a memorial to those lost in the war, and as a shrine for the cause of peace in the galaxy. Citizens of every race will always be welcome there to pay tribute to the dead and reflect on the horrors of war. The monastery at Koa'Tuun will also be dedicated to the preservation of as much of the Tarka way of life as possible, and the world will be Tarka-formed to their preferences, rather than human ones. We shall make it our responsability to care for the remaining Tarka as well as we care for our own kind.

"The Edict will also be establishing a college of archaeology and foreign studies on the former Tarka homeworld of Ke'Koralla, in order to retrieve and refurbish as many works of Tarkasian art and culture as possible. Many of these shall be returned to next-of-kin on Koa'Tuun, or placed in museums, again for the benefit of all. Curios with no special historical significance will be made available on the open market. Finally, the Edict will also form a mining colony at Ku'Lolo, which has a climate that neither the Morrigi nor the Hivers can tolerate.

"These three worlds shall be the only former Tarka worlds that shall be opened for human colonists. Despite the ongoing tensions between Liir, Morrigi, and Hivers, it is our hope that other races will show similar restraint. We all have the ability to choose to view one another as reasonable sapients who can be fairly negotiated with, rather than as ill-understood and potentially dangerous aliens. I believe that we have much more to offer one another as friends than as enemies, and as partners than as rivals. And as the Edict is committed to the cause of peace in the galaxy, we will not rest until it is so!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Anti-spinward Arm:

Making steady progress on clearing out the Devoted, nothing exceptional here. Iszm isn't quite Zuul-formed enough that we could settle it yet, but almost.

Spinward Arm:

The Tarka had control of 8 worlds, 2 of which have already been claimed, and I'm about to claim another 3. That will leave 3 worlds still free for other races to claim, not counting Keo'Tul which only the Hivers could settle. I'd have preferred to have left Koa'Tuun alone if possible, but I don't really want to see the Tarka genocided entirely out of existence and I doubt anyone else has Incorporate Tarka. Hopefully settling those worlds will give everyone time for tempers to cool and inter-species trade to develop such that a universal alliance is possible.

Budget & Research:

Current plan is to get stations for trade stations, then start climbing xenotech trees to maximize benefits of trading with other races. But if the Liir and Morrigi/Hivers can't make friends, I might have to take other steps.

Zed's TARs (sample):

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:38 pm

Zed's TARs (sample):

The_Unificator

Post by The_Unificator » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:22 pm

¿why all hate the Liir? those guys are awesome, like the Morrigi
An Argentinian SolForce Captain awaiting new orders

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:28 pm

Hard to say exactly, but I think it's because they only met the Liir recently and only once they were already all crowded together without much expansion room. I'm hoping, now that there is a bit of expansion room available, relations will start to improve between the AI races. But there's really nothing I can do to directly encourage it.
Zed's TARs (sample):

acastus

Post by acastus » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:02 am

Turns: 101 - 125

Colonies: 32

Events:
- After our colony at Niiben survived two long sieges in the previous era, we pivoted to the offensive and used Niiben as the fulcrum of a two pronged attack against the Liir. First we took the nearby world of Ololobu and then followed on to claim Volans.
- The Liir homeworld counterattacked by sending 50 DEs to our new colony at Ololobu. Our forces slugged it out over many periods with losses rising on both sides. But our ability to repair and a constant supply of reinforcements from Niiben proved decisive on the path to victory.
- Once more we leveraged our defensive build up into an offensive thrust. This time aimed directly toward the Liir homeworld Mibiir. With our fleet on the cusp of arriving at Mibiir, all Liir colonies vanished from our sensor scans. The Song of the Void transcended to pass beyond the veil. Fortune favored us again and this time with an almost pristine size 10 world.
- We found an independent Liir colony at Moshu that we will defend against invaders and eventually incorporate into our federation after we have studied their culture.
- Our push into the western filament of this star cluster to remove surrendered Zuul colonies began in earnest. Two fleets set out on seek and destroy missions. The initial encounters met little resistance but as we ventured further out, the rapidly developing Zuul colonies began to take their toll on our ships. By the end of this era we had battled through 9 Zuul worlds with the final melee thrashed out at Metaluna - former homeworld of The Faithful.
- The Tarka war machine arrived on our shores. The first wave of 20 Tarka CRs broke against our defenses at New Haven in a drawn out and costly struggle. Our fission CRs took significant casualties against the superior Tarka fusion CRs but ultimately it was our logistic advantage of repair and reinforcement that turned the tide in our favor.
- The Tarka launched 7 CRs at our developing colony on Volans. It might have been a good attack against our small guard fleet were it not for the tactical blunder of failing to bring command ships and removing point defense from the ships they did bring. We just happened to have an old CR bristling with missiles in our defense fleet that pounded the Tarka ships along with planetary missile support.
- We stumbled upon developing Tarka colonies on our border at Tasia and Yith and dispatched them easily.
- Our defense fleet at New Haven was promptly sent to attack Chiskatet - the origination point of the Tarka's first offensive against us. Our fleet arrived to find a poorly defended Chiskatet and proceeded the remove the garrison and the colony.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:12 am

Wow, you have gotten really fortunate with surrenders this game! Sounds like you are approaching the point of being able to just steamroller everyone with tons of fleets everywhere if you want. :)
Zed's TARs (sample):

The_Unificator

Post by The_Unificator » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:55 pm

ZedF wrote:Hard to say exactly, but I think it's because they only met the Liir recently and only once they were already all crowded together without much expansion room. I'm hoping, now that there is a bit of expansion room available, relations will start to improve between the AI races. But there's really nothing I can do to directly encourage it.

i hope they survive, because if you can bring them with you, they are awesome allies and if you can form science mission they always give you good techs
An Argentinian SolForce Captain awaiting new orders

acastus

Post by acastus » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:54 am

ZedF wrote:Wow, you have gotten really fortunate with surrenders this game! Sounds like you are approaching the point of being able to just steamroller everyone with tons of fleets everywhere if you want. :)

I'm still out-teched by almost everyone so, at the rate I take losses, it is a slow steamroller going uphill. If I can reduce the Tarka to a manageable threat, I plan on switching to diplomacy based conquest to get the overall win.

Is it just me or does our tech-tree seem to be missing a bunch of bells-and-whistles?

purplemarmot

Post by purplemarmot » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:18 am

Update. I've played through turn 170. I have a busy week and a half coming up so took the time to play those turns. I'll be doing write ups for those turns hopefully all by Sunday. Don't expect anything more from me until the following weekend

Short version:
The Liir have been hitting me hard with a major tech advantage. I've been able to hold them off at Ololobu using various tactics. The Tarka's have been attacking me on that front. The Zuul for the most part have been quiet, but I'd really concerned about them. There has only been one for about 75 turns and they've been in first place for most of that time. They did launch two attacks at me that I beat back, but I'm sure they're coming.

I was in a tough spot and decided to risk Artificial Intelligence. I got that, AI Factories, and AI Administration. That's helped a lot and pushed me into a 2 way tie for first, but fighting a two front war, and three front war whenever the Zuul show up. There have been other very pressing research requirements, and the Tesla University may have to change it's stance on only be offensive with the incorporate technology. At the end, Ololobu fell to Assimilation plague from the Liir. I had managed to fight off about 20 turns of bio missiles and they brought 5 of them in one attack when all I had was missile ships left (for 2 more turns). Ugh. Still tied for first, but stretched really thin.

Return to “T.A.R.”