Ship stacking.

Talk about all things to do with the sequel to our flagship 4X title.

Moderator: Erinys

Mecron
Kerberos

Re: Ship stacking.

Post by Mecron » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:13 pm

bingo

Jorgen_CAB

Post by Jorgen_CAB » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:19 pm

I always thought it was simple maths behind it.

1 ship with endurance 4T = 4T for the fleet.

1 ship with endurance 4T, 2 with 6T = (4+6+6)/3 = 5.3 rounded down to 5T.

It doesn't matter if a ship is a supply ship or not... its the total value of all ships Endurance that matter.

Seemed logical to me at least...

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:28 pm

actually the TOTAL supply and the TOTAL consumption for the fleet is calculated. This is sometimes the same as averaging the end of the individual ships but more often its more accurate but a turn plus or minus.

Nall White

Post by Nall White » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:34 pm

So, my question is if you had two or more fleets. One with without supply ships and the other(s) with all supply ships(of course one CnC). Sent them on the same course and same destination at the same time, would they all share resources?
I'm NOT a cat!

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:38 pm

not unless one was set to support the other...in the fuuuuuuutuuuuure :P

Nall White

Post by Nall White » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:59 pm

Mecron wrote:not unless one was set to support the other...in the fuuuuuuutuuuuure :P

Next Monday/Tuesday? :love:
I'm NOT a cat!

Jorgen_CAB

Post by Jorgen_CAB » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:22 pm

Mecron wrote:actually the TOTAL supply and the TOTAL consumption for the fleet is calculated. This is sometimes the same as averaging the end of the individual ships but more often its more accurate but a turn plus or minus.

Yes, that makes more sense, otherwise you would round of the supply numbers twice. :)

pheonix89

Post by pheonix89 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:01 pm

Speaking of supply, when are ramscoops going to be working properly. Back in the first game, they gave ships with them unlimited endurance. Now, its a pretty lame boost for sacrificing an entire sections worth of weapons. Or maybe i'm spoiled from playing morrigi and always getting heavy drones asap. Supply cruisers are a lot less squishy when they add 4 heap drivers to the fray that can engage at comparable ranges to planet missiles.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:13 pm

yes a ramsoop represents the same supply level as other races supply sections...hardly trivial, espeically now that it can serve the entire fleet instead of just itself. :twisted:

spitfire_ch

Post by spitfire_ch » Wed May 01, 2013 6:48 pm

Mecron wrote:actually the TOTAL supply and the TOTAL consumption for the fleet is calculated. This is sometimes the same as averaging the end of the individual ships but more often its more accurate but a turn plus or minus.

Sorry for bringing this up again like 1 year later, I am just curious :)

How do you calculate endurance from supply and consuption? Or rather: what is consumption?

Let's say you have a ship with Supply 62/130. I assume, this ship provides 130 supply and consumes 62 per turn. Is that correct? So it should last 130/62 = 2 turns. But is has an endurance of 3 T. Another ship has the following stats: Supply 53/220 --> 4 turns, but it has an endurance of 9 T? I looked at various combinations, trying to figure out a more complicated equation, but couldn't :( Could you please shed some light onto that?

I know the game is not about calculating stuff, optimizing the ships using equations. But still, I would like to just roughly understand the mechanics behind. Right now, the stats are meaningless numbers to me, which change, when I change the design, but I can't understand why they change in which direction ... which I don't like ;)

Thanks very much
- spitfire_ch

chronobomb

Post by chronobomb » Wed May 01, 2013 7:58 pm

spitfire_ch wrote:Let's say you have a ship with Supply 62/130. I assume, this ship provides 130 supply and consumes 62 per turn. Is that correct? So it should last 130/62 = 2 turns. But is has an endurance of 3 T. Another ship has the following stats: Supply 53/220 --> 4 turns, but it has an endurance of 9 T? I looked at various combinations, trying to figure out a more complicated equation, but couldn't :( Could you please shed some light onto that?
- spitfire_ch

Endurance is doubled if you are within supply range of your your empire.

spitfire_ch

Post by spitfire_ch » Wed May 01, 2013 9:39 pm

chronobomb wrote:
spitfire_ch wrote:Let's say you have a ship with Supply 62/130. I assume, this ship provides 130 supply and consumes 62 per turn. Is that correct? So it should last 130/62 = 2 turns. But is has an endurance of 3 T. Another ship has the following stats: Supply 53/220 --> 4 turns, but it has an endurance of 9 T? I looked at various combinations, trying to figure out a more complicated equation, but couldn't :( Could you please shed some light onto that?
- spitfire_ch

Endurance is doubled if you are within supply range of your your empire.

Ok, thx, but how do you calculate it from the ship stats? I was referring to what is shown in the ship designer. That should be interdependent of local supplies, or is this a wrong assumption?

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Wed May 01, 2013 10:01 pm

So a few observations of mine I'll repeat from previous threads on the topic:

Non-combat Mission activities have varied (though generally low) supply consumption per turn. The act of traveling FTL speeds appears to be much higher on consumption of supply (fuel) compared to engaging in say a patrol or survey mission.

I believe that all supply consumption is halved while inside support range of your systems/naval stations.

Combat of course is a completely different equation as many critical hits have significant impact on ship supply, as well as other factors like crew loss and weapons fire may factor in as well.

I think the 'Endurance' is a rough generalization that factors in FTL travel supply consumption as the bar for 'cost' per turn.

This also makes FTL speed a major factor in supply costs since if your FTL movement is 12 for example and you only need to travel 6 LY in that turn - you're only expending a half a turns worth of FTL supply consumption from my experience.
- Resok

MajorTom

Post by MajorTom » Mon May 06, 2013 5:29 am

kazi wrote:using additional command ships results in nothing happening.

I would like to dispute this and say it definitely does something.

It's nice being able to actually gate a system with a fleet when you are going against the Suul'ka and they have an extreme fetish for doing nothing but trying to board your command ships and in the end screwing over that fleet.

So redundancy is what I am trying to say, because the A.I. is a pain (as well as fleet placement placing you right in front of the enemy homeworld and fleet)

Brawler

Post by Brawler » Mon May 06, 2013 8:37 am

I noticed in the aging comments that ability to provide support to fleets other than the one support ships are in. Are there still any plans to introduce this to the game in the future?

Return to “SotS2”