Campaign Updates

Talk about all things to do with the acclaimed 4X title.

Moderator: Erinys

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Re: Campaign Updates

Post by Erinys » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:28 am

I've added a large update with images to the crowd-funding campaign pages for Sword of the Stars: The Pit and Sword of the Stars: Ground Pounders, but I thought I would also post an update here, for those who generally come to the forums for information on the progress of the Lore Book projects. Text and images embedded below. :)

Arinn wrote:Well, the work has been very hard and the delays have been long, folks...but the Premium Lore Book is almost done!

All content is complete, and we are currently working on the editorial phase for this project, polishing the pages and chapters to make each one the shining gem that our supporters deserve. :D

Right now my desk at the Kerberos offices is piled deep with rough proofing pages of the full Lore Book on paper. It is running over 400 pages right now, in full color, with three additional chapters which were not planned for the original book--One on the Suul'ka, one on the Loa, and a third on our independent projects including the Pit and Ground Pounders.

Here's some of the pages from the Hiver chapter--as you can see, my red pen is busily at work making improvements...

A lay-out for the Tarka chapter. Kinda like this one...

But it looks like the color needs to be adjusted on the illustration of the Tarka homeworld!

The Liir chapter is very...blue. A lot of the blues are printing a bit too dark, and need to be adjusted. Still...the illustrations are going to look great in the next draft.

Whereas this page of the Mindi is looking just awesome and doesn't need a thing done to it!

Zuul pages are sometimes a little dark, at times. But hey, realistically speaking...the Zuul ARE a little dark at times...

The Morrigi chapter, on the other hand, just needs a lot of its images to be BIGGER. MOAR Morrigi...

Kinda like this.

My production delays in 2013 do have one positive result: MOAR chapters in the Lore Book! Here's some pages from the chapter on the Suul'ka, featuring concept art and an interview with artist John Yakimow.

And we also have a big, beautiful chapter on everyone's favorite AI Rebellion, the Loa.

Seriously, the Loa chapter is full of awesome stuff. :)

And last but not least, we've included a chapter with lots of concept art, a little lore and some team interviews with the developers of The Pit and Ground Pounders!

Upshot is...we're very close, guys, and I want those of you who have been patiently waiting until I was well enough again to finish my work to know that I really appreciate you, and your support. We'll order a full printed proof from the printer when our editorial phase is complete, and then it'll be time to order the limited print run, have the team personally sign each copy, and send them out to you!

On a personal note...this "Scenes From Arinn's Desk" update for the Big Premium Lore Book is something I'm very happy to be posting today. I am busily polishing the chapters, but this project is very close to done. Ten years of work and fifteen product releases, all compressed into this compendium of concept art, illustrations, lore and team interviews.

Pretty big project. I'm really glad we will have it in the hands of our crowd-funding supporters soon. :)

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

jujuboa

Post by jujuboa » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:53 pm

It's a nice feeling to finish a big project, gives a sense of completeness. While I'm not part of either campaign It's clear
everyone involved is very talented.

Well done

Khrowe

Post by Khrowe » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:13 am

Erinys wrote:Pretty big project. I'm really glad we will have it in the hands of our crowd-funding supporters soon. :)

Can the non-crowd-funding supporters find a way to see or own the lore book?

The Apprentice

Post by The Apprentice » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:27 am

Khrowe, hopefully this answers your question.

zanzibar196 wrote:Once the lore books are completed, will they be available for sale (for example, off the main kerberos website), for those of us that would like to contribute more money to Kerberos outside of a kickstarter project (or simply to buy as a gift for someone)?

Mecron wrote:As it has been said a few times, the lore book is a limited edition and will not be available again in any format.
Feel free to call me App- it's shorter.

Khrowe

Post by Khrowe » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:43 pm

Thank you sir

skugge

Post by skugge » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:00 am

I didnt get it. Will non-crowd funders be able to buy the book?

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:37 pm

skugge wrote:I didnt get it. Will non-crowd funders be able to buy the book?

Short answer: no. Longer answer: nooooooo.

See 2 posts above yours.

skugge

Post by skugge » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:45 pm

Yea but all it says is that the book is a limited edition. They could print a few extra books when they are already there printing them right? At least that would be nice but hey i understand if they wont do it.. I just want that book though! :yell:

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:24 pm

That's not how limited edition collector's volumes work. The physical book is a one-run-only done deal.

But Arinn has suggested a digital copy might become available as a perk for a charitable donation to Clarion at some point in the future, so there may perhaps be an opportunity to get a soft copy.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

skugge

Post by skugge » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:31 pm

I may have to buy it then second-hand for a very pricey sum :P *hint-hint*

The Apprentice

Post by The Apprentice » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:50 pm

skugge wrote:I may have to buy it then second-hand for a very pricey sum :P *hint-hint*

How "pricey" is pricey? I'm pretty sure if you pledged True Believer, KP would give you one from their personal collection. Or, perhaps, another holder of a Lore Book would...
Feel free to call me App- it's shorter.

Illanair

Post by Illanair » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:59 am

Any updates on the final printing and shipping? It's been (understandably) quiet since before the new crowdfunding campaigns. :)
bowtiefighter wrote:From my doctorate degree in self taught scifi, im guessing it would make just pretty fireworks.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:21 pm

ZedF wrote:Arinn has suggested a digital copy might become available as a perk for a charitable donation to Clarion at some point in the future, so there may perhaps be an opportunity to get a soft copy.

Observe: http://www.clarionwest.org/members/erinys/

Check out the Write-a-thon goals section at the bottom.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Desrtfox071

Post by Desrtfox071 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:05 pm

I still have not received the lore book. Should I have received it by now?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:54 am

Nope, we're in the proofing stage right now, but I am going to be sending out a mass email in the next 24 hours to make sure that we have all the Backer and Signing information we need to publish the names of the backers who chose NOT to remain anonymous and to ship everyone their MASSIVE TOME.

:D Really happy about this. So proud of the work now that it's almost finished.

The editorial phase has been difficult, but it is ending, and we're about to a) release the .pdf version that we have created for charity and 2) order and check the first printed proof copy and then 3) get the shipped copies sent to the office. They should be signed and getting shipped by the end of the month, if everything goes smoothly.

I'm truly sorry that a project this size requires such patience from the backers, but I believe that the time will be worth it when the result is professional quality.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Return to “SotS”