Tell me how to not screw this up

Share your tales of glory (or gory) here. ***WARN OF SPOILERS***
MTaur

Tell me how to not screw this up

Post by MTaur » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:40 am

Ok, so I'm playing a Scout, floor 12 of Normal. I already have:

* Ceramic plate (unused)
* Belt of Aias (like srsly, wtf?)
* Laser carbine (unused) + 2 backpacks (had to leave two more on the ground - stupid backpacks)
* Pounder
* Auto-rifle
* Starting gear (all of it)
* Snub pistol (sort of derpy, but ok for mid-range last hits with low armor, I guess)
* Super derpy Psi blade (I hate this weapon, it's the worstest AFAIK)
* 2 Nanoreconstructors
* 2 Tarkan field surgeries
* Too many lockpicks to use
* A few improv lockpicks
* Purifier (meh)
* All of the noms
* 200ish pistol and rifle rounds each
* 100ish explosive rounds? I forget, I just know I have the Pounder if I see another bear sometime soon

Raising all the Psionics except for War Mind and Manifestation. Foraging, Lockpicking, Mechanical, Pistol, Rifle... Trying to get 80 on those. Biotech, maybe Electronics and Computer after they train up some. Possibly Melee and/or Blade later, depending on drops/crafts.

Anyway. idk. I feel like I'm going to derp it all away somehow. I don't have any long-term melee solution yet, so that could be a problem soonish, and then zomg ammo and then super-dead (rest a lot and spam TK fist to save ammo? Sort of, not really, it's like 20 damage every 5 turns or something, meh). Either that, or I'll get caught flat-footed while not wearing the ceramic plate because I don't want to lose durability. (I sort of suck at armor juggling)

I don't know. Should I just accept that I'm going to die on Floor 22 anyway, or is this start too good to throw away like that?
Joining Forces: the parody fan comic with pit peril, dysfunctional teamwork, and suggestive situations with aliens!

http://joining-forces.blogspot.com

Khrowe

Re: Tell me how to not screw this up

Post by Khrowe » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:50 am

Sounds like a decent enough start for me, I would keep going.

Rioji

Post by Rioji » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:56 pm

Well, you're still missing two pieces of a solid run: Shotgun and melee weapon, but just play carefully and they'll probably drop eventually. You got this, dude! I wouldn't do too much armor juggling. What I'd probably do is hope to find a second suit and wear that at most times unless I'm gong down a floor or laying siege to a tough room. It's good that you know it's mostly in your hands now. As long as you take your time, you are pretty much the master of your destiny.

MTaur

Post by MTaur » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:28 pm

Rioji wrote:you are pretty much the master of your destiny.

That's why I'm so worried.. X-D

Thanks for the moral support though. (Also, my Flak Jacket is at 50% or so still, but I definitely need a better durability sponge.)
Joining Forces: the parody fan comic with pit peril, dysfunctional teamwork, and suggestive situations with aliens!

MTaur

Post by MTaur » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:59 am

I can't hold all this everything!

MTaur

Post by MTaur » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:35 am

Had to get rid of the backpacks because stuff kept dropping, and then ammo started to evaporate. Had to resort to Psi Blade and Crowbar for a while. Psi Blade ate a couple Nanoreconstructors and then lost the last 2.8 durability or whatever in a single swing on a Zuul Pup. Juggling backup weapons and using the Crowbar sort of helped, but the successful Adamantium Claws construction was a big deal - this item is clearly OP (but I wouldn't nerf it without buffing everything else... It's just sort of something you have to do because it's a thing because lolol Wolverine so sexy)

I don't know what my success chance was because made it from the wiki for the first time with 70ish mechanical. The durability on these things isn't really as much as it looks like, though... I hope I can make another one, because I'm down to two Nanoreconstructors and my plate mail will probably need one again eventually.

Except for the slump when ammo started to dry up, it's felt kind of easy so far. Maybe it's just from the good drops. I could swear I set it to "normal"... I'm pretty sure... Anyway, I'm just going to give the RNG credit this time.

Anyway, TK Fist isn't really doing a good job at being amazing, since I got it and the claws at the same time, and claws are saving ammo just fine. Oh well. I'm sure if I get up to Shrapnel Storm, I'll be really glad at some point.

This could be a good run. My record so far is my two Strikers who made it to 23. (I am bad)

The Apprentice

Post by The Apprentice » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:06 am

Looks like your moment to shine! Ceramic Plate and the Legendary Belt- looking good!

I would still try and use the TK Fist at every opportunity- it looks like you have excess Psi points lying about, and TK fist costs no durability. As you pointed out, Adamantium Claw attacks do cost durability over time.

Unless you have really bad luck, I would think ordinary repair stations would work for the Adamantium Claws. Save your nanorecons for more fragile but equally crucial items.
Feel free to call me App- it's shorter.

MTaur

Post by MTaur » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:30 pm

Had a case of the derps and almost died of poison. Lost a bunch of durability too - used one of the last two reconstructors. Hit a wormhole, went from 22 to 25. Found the way up to 24. Not sure what to do next. Ammo is slightly better now, but still kind of lowish. Backup armor would be nice. Chitin Plate would be nice to have, but no cloth to be found lately.

I think I can go for a Laser Rifle at the next lab. Between that and the Edjumicator that dropped, I should be in good shape. Probably also want to load a backpack into the Carbine to hold the ammo - the Carbine has only one or two Hopkinites left in it.

Some combination of derps and an RNG dry spell could still kill me, it seems like. And I'm not exactly an expert on how late-game durability management works. There could be hazards that I don't really understand.

Lots food, invisibility, deflect... all ready to go. I should probably rest and buff up at every stairway. Psi pool probably can't take it, though - maybe time for some Power points?

Finally got two teal serums from the well to an analyzer. XP health, nice. Kind of late, but still a big deal in the early 20s.

Quantum helmet is neat. I should take it off more often. :-o

Rioji

Post by Rioji » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:51 pm

I know this probably doesn't help you at this point, but I think it was a mistake to throw away those backpacks. I can maybe see it being the right decision if you didn't have a high-powered energy weapon already, but yeah... you're going to win, anyway :)

MTaur

Post by MTaur » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:04 am

Rioji wrote:I know this probably doesn't help you at this point, but I think it was a mistake to throw away those backpacks. I can maybe see it being the right decision if you didn't have a high-powered energy weapon already, but yeah... you're going to win, anyway :)

What should I have tossed instead? I had really bad luck with the wells. I have energy cells and bindings, so I *think* I should be fine later on, but I wanted to put them in the well for sure. :(

This is going pretty well, but I know that I usually derp hard enough to blow it, even a run like this. Still, it is by far the best situation I've had post-20 on Normal. A Chitin Armor or two would be reassuring, and an Auto-Shotgun wouldn't hurt.

I have more Psi skills than I can even cast with my pool. Not sure which ones to prioritize at the start of a floor, or if it's worth investing in Psi Power a bit just for start-of-floor buffs. I'm told that you can Invisibility --> TK Fist and not even take aggro, so I could try that, but it won't do enough damage. *Eventually* I can Invis -> TK Fist -> Psi Drain -> Shrapnel or something if I'm lucky. idk, I need to look at the numbers and do the dreaded Psi arithmetic... it's bad for the Scout here, though. :(

I have found both Fear and Shutdown kind of useful in a tight spot, or when I just want to claw away. But Shutdown is brutally overpriced. :(

MTaur

Post by MTaur » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:56 am

Conventional ammo tends to follow a peak-trough pattern, going up to 50 or 100, or occasionally 200 before evaporating away on this enemy and the next. What can I say? I like my proteans dead.

Laser weapons - Found a Meson Rifle. Seems like an emergency weapon to me - three shots' worth of damage concentrated into one, essentially, with some waste thrown in. The Edjumacator (as Travis Hudson would call it) seems to win the efficiency contest, so I'm using that as my primary ranged big baddie killer from now on. I think it even beats out Carbine for that? Will have to check. At any rate, I also made my Laser Rifle. It's not really much of an ammo efficiency difference overall from Carbine, probably worse assuming at least some respectable overkill damage. As an intermediate use case, it might just be a backup weapon or a backpack source. Pulse Rifle upgrade would be nice, but I need a Superconductor and a lucky crafting check...

Found cloth on Floor 27 from a Hopkinite (or was it a green man? I forget). Successfully crafted Chitin Plate Mail at 72% or so... Pretty lucky. 5 less armor than my damaged Ceramic Plate, and no Might penalty, so I'm going to gleefully allow my Ceramic Plate to get shredded over time. I blew a reconstructor on my claws, though - what can I say? They were down to 25 or so and they are carrying the run, and my plate was at 80ish and I had Polymer for emergencies.

All in all, either this run is extremely lucky, or I got better at this game without noticing at some point. I think it's mostly luck, but here's hoping for more progress. I guess the only way to know for sure is to do three more Scout runs after this and see how they go...

MTaur

Post by MTaur » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:59 am

(Note - Finally got a Shotgun, and it's a freaking Pepperbox. Not a run that deserves complaints overall, though...)

Rioji

Post by Rioji » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:28 pm

With the Meson you don't really need to even craft a Pulse Rifle now.. But yeah, it's mostly an emergency weapon (though I find that many situations later on in the Pit are emergencies...).

MTaur

Post by MTaur » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:30 pm

Found a Vorpal Blade on 28. My Ad. Claws heaved a sigh of relief. Also found another cloth. The Vorpal Blade was in the same room as a working Tesseract Well, and only one floor down from a lab. I also found another cloth and successfully made another Chitin Plate. Ceramic Plate went into the locker with the polymer and what, six backpacks? Yow.

I keep telling myself that I'm going to use Firebrand on bears, but then I forget. Maybe I'll start now so my Vorpal Blade and Ad. Claws don't break on floor 36 and make me cry. I still have 23 cells after the backpackapalooza.

This game seems to have a lot of momentum to it - it can be surprising easy for long stretches long after you would typically die. The last time I've had a run feel like this was The Pit: Vanilla on Easy back in the day, only I throw out a Fear and a TK Fist here and there these days. I think an early RNG spike gave me the momentum, but in theory, tighter play could have the same result... Anyway, this run continues to be atypical for me by a lot, in a good way.

Also, it turns out that Rest -> Invisibility -> See what happens works for new floors. I have the food for it. And there's enough Psi left for two TK fists. And I can try a re-entry with something else after resting again, in a worst case - like Sabotage -> Shrapnel (when I learn it), or Psi Armor + Deflect or whatever. Invisibility is a lot of Psi just to be scouting around, so I'll try to do TK Fist starts when it's reasonable.

Floor 29 calls.

MTaur

Post by MTaur » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:33 am

Floor 32. Getting impatient. Started out on Floor 32 with a lot of Mind Wolves and a few mecha after an alarm went off. Something started banging on the door afterward, and I figured I could take it. I should have gone upstairs, reloaded, and rested. Instead, I ended up using the supremely wasteful Scattergun to get out of jail - a Blighted Zuul and a big red Mk'kose, and several assorted pests on the side. It worked, sort of. I just better not need those Flechette rounds or the 3 or so Nanomeds and the Healing Salve I burned up later. It's nice being able to tank out Disease 6 and a bunch of DPS, but even a well-armed Scout will incur costs doing so. Maybe it's time for another break.

After spamming Vorpal Blade for a long time, I eventually went through a whole Sharpening Kit. The Blade should only last another floor or 3 now. I was able to craft a backup set of Ad. Claws, but a lot can happen in 8 floors, so 250 points worth of claw durability might not make it without a well-timed repair station or nanoreconstructor. I went ahead and used up my Polymer Infuser on the claws and Chitin Plate to make room. I'm still using the durability sponge Chitin Plate, and my second has +10 might, +10 finesse. But at 87/131, the durability sponge should last a long time still. With this much claw durability to go around, though, I'm thinking of saving Firebrand mostly for the chance of AoE damage cases instead of as a durability saver for Vorpal Blade on unarmored targets.

I failed a 4x Hero Sotswich craft attempt at 99%, but Toshiko laughed and said "IDGAF". That would be GG for a Striker, but I probably wouldn't have risked a 4-stack, either. I went ahead and made 3 Roast Beasts, though, and I'll eat those to make room eventually before my 4 Heroes from earlier can hopefully carry the rest of the run. I should probably try remember that I have Metabolic Control, though.

Return to “War Stories”