Star Citizen Woes

All off-topic, non-Kerberos chatter. Saw a flick? Read a comic? Heard a tune? Got some news? Do it here, please and thanks.

Moderator: Erinys

cuquito

Re: Star Citizen Woes

Post by cuquito » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:27 pm

Ive done 3 COMPLETE and I emphasize complete run throughs of mass effect and I don't consider my experience done until I get atleast one more out of the way , so yeah im definetly on your party slash . Already I can see doing two runs of the 1st so 2 of the second and well see what the third has in store for me :D... O man I love it when games do this cross game storyline but dragon age is a HUGE mess I cant even remember where my 1st play through is . LOL and to keep with the theme of this thread these games gave hours upon hours of content and cost the initial 50 to 60 plus the dlc which is never more than 100 to 120 combined . Massive return for your money. and star citizen ............. ( owl hoots ). I really do hope the peeps who invested in it get they're moneys worth eventually . Im still waiting for a year on the mandate and battlechasers kickstarters.
Encountersuitic Pelvic Thrust...... 96% of sheridan, kosh talks .......

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:40 pm

OK so let me get this straight.

Activision is actually doing its own Squadron 42/Star Citizen set to come out before the actual Star Citizen game ever will? :googly:

Edit: Well more on railsy for sure but still...
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:39 pm

Extensive Kotaku article on Star Citizen. They went pretty deep on this one.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:32 pm

this sentence near the end encapsulates the problem I have with the media and this project and KS coverage in general....

"Star Citizen is the biggest crowdfunding success in history..."

No it fracking isn't.

Not until the game is bloody delivered.

This separation of the game from the fundraising is what turns outlets into cheerleaders and leaves folks holding the bag if something goes wrong.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:08 pm

But you generate a lot more clicks and views that way don't you?

That's always the way it's been spun. Success = $$$ raised because that's the talking point.

Defenestar

Post by Defenestar » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:11 am

Wildly successful at fundraising, but everything I've heard out of it since raises doubts about whether it'll ever launch something worth playing. I think we might have another contender for the title of gaming's Waterworld.

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:57 am

Defenestar wrote:Wildly successful at fundraising, but everything I've heard out of it since raises doubts about whether it'll ever launch something worth playing. I think we might have another contender for the title of gaming's Waterworld.

Agree. I'm actually glad the agony is taking this long. If Roberts delivers in the end it will not be a failure, but if it does become a failure it will be watered down by the tides of time. If it went down faster, it could become the end of crowdfunding.
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:42 pm

Actually given the time and money, I think its a failure no matter how good the result may be.

Cpt. Awesome

Post by Cpt. Awesome » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:04 pm

It really just depends on what your definition of success is. As someone not owning any shares of CI or a backer of the game, not completely destroying crowd funding would be my definition of success.

I do agree that the amount of wastage seems to be almost criminal...

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:37 pm

Mecron wrote:Actually given the time and money, I think its a failure no matter how good the result may be.

Definitely true. The end product would at least be a patch over the failure.

Though by the time it might be released, Elite will have all the features playable for a looong time. Braben is the big winner here IMO, he has really delivered as I read. Elite and the prospect of SotS HD are driving me towards actually buying a new comp. I don't think I can resist the gaming urge for much longer. One can only play Nuclear Throne for so long. :lol:
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

Ashbery76

Post by Ashbery76 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:22 pm

Mecron wrote:Actually given the time and money, I think its a failure no matter how good the result may be.

Is GTA a failure? These games take years to make too and with a much higher budget.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:00 pm

Which GTA are you imagining? Also, GTA does NOT require gamers to support the project before release. So way to miss the point.

Defenestar

Post by Defenestar » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:52 pm

Yeah, that's a totally different thing. Even if they go really nuts with the pre-order bullshit (Has GTA done that? I don't actually care enough about that series to pay attention to it, so I don't know.), getting a big budget from a publisher in order to make a big game is very much different than collecting a shit-ton of money from one's customers before beginning development, and then pulling a Duke Nukem Whenever.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:33 am

As much as someone might find disproportionate pre-order bonuses distasteful, they are not a requirement to make the game.

Saying "This game took 70 million to make but we think we'll make a decent profit on it (here are some OP pre-order bonuses)" is not the same as "This game will take $124 million (and counting) to make and you may not get an actual working game at the end of this...but you need to pay up front".

PocketNerd
Kerberos

Post by PocketNerd » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:29 pm

Return to “Off Topic Misc.”