Why can't I say it?

All off-topic, non-Kerberos chatter. Saw a flick? Read a comic? Heard a tune? Got some news? Do it here, please and thanks.

Moderator: Erinys

Slashman

Re: Why can't I say it?

Post by Slashman » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:45 am

I'm glad you appreciate it Ms. Dembo. I thought it was pretty well done personally.

And for the rest of the folks who keep missing the actual point and want to discuss why they weren't spoon fed what was given at the very beginning of the article. Well maybe it would't kill everyone involved to just admit you were uninformed about this particular topic/person and now you have a chance to be and appreciate the article. I mean unless we want all have a long talk about our comparative views on what would constitute the perfect satire article.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:53 am

I didn't read the linked article until after reading the rest of this thread, and didn't need to. The satire's point (that racial slurs and jokes about genocide aren't acceptable no matter the context) was independently made, and is also self-evident without more context than the single quote at the top.

If you do read a little more, and also discover that a neo-Nazi group (I won't link the site) takes his comments as tacit support, it's pretty easy to support his opponents' points, regardless of whether he personally believes he's supporting them or not, and even when he claims not to. At that stage, all his "charity" work counts for basically nothing.

He is losing revenue fairly quickly, from being cut off by both his Disney partnership and Youtube premium advertising channels. I just hope people don't try to justify the blatant antisemitism and racism with the good he's supposedly doing.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:10 am

I saw an interesting response on another site's forums where one person argued that the problem isn't the 'casual racism' of the streamer its the overreaction.

I'm not sure what differentiates casual racists from professional racists. Like maybe there's a test to pass and license you need to carry. :googly:

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:30 am

these very same thoughts carry over to rape culture as well..."I am just using the words and thoughts as gaming slang, I don't actually endorse rape or violence towards women."

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:36 am

Indeed. If that's the type of thing that comes into your mind when you're playing a game, where do you think it came from? If you actually say the words instead of just having the thought and dismissing it, what does that say about you as a person?

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:59 am

hence why every person hearing that and NOT endorsing it has to speak up at the time.

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:15 pm

Yeah, even a "That's not funny, whether you meant it as a joke or not" can be effective, and should be said if possible, especially if you know the person well enough that they'll listen to you. I wouldn't go so far as to say that everyone who doesn't respond agrees with the person, though.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:20 pm

except that is exactly what pew pew guys think.

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:38 pm

A universally loud and negative response to bigotry might be an ideal thing to hope for. It's just that the logic behind most people's thinking goes, "Okay, so he said something else stupid/ignorant/bigoted. I don't agree with what he said, but it looks like most of the responses I see on [insert social media or news platform here] thinks that was generally a bad idea, so I wouldn't be contributing to the conversation at all by adding my own personal Shame-On-You." So again, not everyone that doesn't respond agrees with the bigotry, and thinking that they do will just make you bitter.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:17 pm

your first part is true your second part is flawed and useless.

Its actually pretty easy to start a chorus.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:44 pm

Mecron wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:30 am
these very same thoughts carry over to rape culture as well..."I am just using the words and thoughts as gaming slang, I don't actually endorse rape or violence towards women."
I'm guessing someone will also try to use the argument that it isn't 'casual rapeyness' that's the problem. It's the SJW overreaction that makes everything worse.

marshb

Post by marshb » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:52 pm

Slashman wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:44 pm

I'm guessing someone will also try to use the argument that it isn't 'casual rapeyness' that's the problem. It's the SJW overreaction that makes everything worse.
That reaction happens all the time...."Muh freedom of speech is being attacked by SJW's! Political Correctness out of control!!!" Always shifting the topic away from there own behavior.
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:52 pm

Mecron wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:17 pm
your first part is true your second part is flawed and useless.

Its actually pretty easy to start a chorus.
Response unclear. Which first and second parts?

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:15 am

Some more food for thought. How in-game toxicity seems to have hurt the quality and progress of Overwatch.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:54 am

first part-not everyone that doesn't respond agrees with the bigotry...true but you won't know for sure till you call them out.

Second part- thinking that they do will just make you bitter.... Bullshit. Suck it up buttercup. Thinking things are worse than they are is only an excuse to fight harder. You got plenty of time to be all optimistic once the J man lets you upstairs. Down here, maybe stop worrying about "bitter" being the worse case scenario.

Return to “Off Topic Misc.”