Bastard Sword of the Stars 3.0.2

Share your mods and tricks of the trade here.
Alpha Centauri

Re: Bastard Sword of the Stars 2.5a

Post by Alpha Centauri » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:37 pm

I doubt I can do anything about that. It's an old engine that worlds damn well, but ultimately you hit memory limits or accrue artifacts (errors) in any running game.

You can use the 4gb patcher to update your EXE to be able to access as much ram as any 32 bit process can, improving that a bit:
http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

Just run that - point it at the mars.exe, and it will update that.

Beyond that - it shouldn't matter if you run Admin or not - so long as you installed SOTS <NOT> under the Program Files folder, but somewhere fully 100% modifiable by the user accounts. I install all games to C:\Games\<The Game>. And I installed steam to C:\Steam, so games that it installs are underneath that - which is by definition user-account controlled.

No fuss, no muss.

HOWEVER - if running as admin helps - it probably means you've got either registry entries or files locked to admin privileges - which means you should continue to run as admin to avoid security issues (or uninstall, reinstall using the above advice to ensure folder is user-compatible, and NEVER run as admin, as that can change security settings on you).

Starlord

Post by Starlord » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:59 pm

Thanks, I will try the patch first. I prefer to use the default install directories on most programs, but i do have user controlled exception area, that I use for older games, that don't run without special work, such as x-com which requires dos-box and civilization II which must be installed in a user area and requires special permissions, legacy ware enabled, and some patching to the .exe to run on windows 10. If this doesn't work I will reinstall the game in a new folder.

gfc1963

Post by gfc1963 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:14 pm

Just found this mod! Downloaded it, put it in the MODS folder and changed the sots.ini file. Launched a new game and nothing has changed? I have got this via Steam so I don't know if that is a problem.

GantradiseDracos

Post by GantradiseDracos » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:15 pm

out of curiosity, have the issues with 2.5x been solved? was holding off on updating from 2.1 due to the mentions of issues with heavy drivers ect
My forum name is a grammer flubb. it should read Gantradies Dracos.
ME: ok, ive been listening to you guys for the last 3 minutes. question: what is the difference between a stack overflow and underflow,anyway? Adam: *beat*ok.Imagine you have a cat. If you were to feed the cat so much food that it explodes, that's a stack overflow. A stack underflow is where you try to take food out of the cat, and keep taking food out, until you take the cat out of itself.

Alpha Centauri

Post by Alpha Centauri » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:49 pm

Not sure what issues you're referring to? Generally speaking 2.5a is patched and working well.

The instructions for installing at the second item in this thread, which you can jump to here: http://kerberos-productions.com/forums/ ... 68#p548668

GantradiseDracos

Post by GantradiseDracos » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:57 am

Alpha Centauri wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:49 pm
Not sure what issues you're referring to? Generally speaking 2.5a is patched and working well.

The instructions for installing at the second item in this thread, which you can jump to here: http://kerberos-productions.com/forums/ ... 68#p548668
the stuff about bugged turrets (hiver x3 heavy drivers,for ex)
My forum name is a grammer flubb. it should read Gantradies Dracos.
ME: ok, ive been listening to you guys for the last 3 minutes. question: what is the difference between a stack overflow and underflow,anyway? Adam: *beat*ok.Imagine you have a cat. If you were to feed the cat so much food that it explodes, that's a stack overflow. A stack underflow is where you try to take food out of the cat, and keep taking food out, until you take the cat out of itself.

gfc1963

Post by gfc1963 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:43 am

Second time I have downloaded this mod and the second time NOTHING works!! I downloaded it and unzipped it and changed the sots.ini file to what was shown on the forum. I got this on Steam and I don't know if this is the problem. Can someone help?? I only have one folder and dopn't have the 'No Planets' folder as shown in the example. Really want to give this a go!

Alpha Centauri

Post by Alpha Centauri » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:50 am

Then post some screen shots of what you do have.

You're correct - there is not "No Missiles" minimod anymore - that never worked properly - so I gave it up.

Seriously tho - if you follow the directions - this works for steam as well - which I also have.

But - if you're unable - then post a screenshot of your folder structure (like I did) and your sots.ini, like I did.

gfc1963

Post by gfc1963 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:55 am

Hi there - thanks for the reply. How do I post pics? I have saved the pics as JPEGS but I cannot cut and paste them to here?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gfc1963

Post by gfc1963 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:56 am

Sorry but looks like I have dragged them over!! This is the Sots.ini file
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alpha Centauri

Post by Alpha Centauri » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:21 pm

In your image "sots3.jpg" - you can see that your file system is:

"Mods\Bastard Sword of the Stars 2.5a\Bastard Sword of the Stars 2.5a"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THERE'S YOUR PROBLEM ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Your .ini file says:

Mods\Bastard Sword of the Stars 2.5a

So, either fix your filesystem (the correct answer), or fix your .ini file (which can work, but is a funky choice)

gfc1963

Post by gfc1963 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:39 pm

Alpha Centauri wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:21 pm
In your image "sots3.jpg" - you can see that your file system is:

"Mods\Bastard Sword of the Stars 2.5a\Bastard Sword of the Stars 2.5a"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THERE'S YOUR PROBLEM ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Your .ini file says:

Mods\Bastard Sword of the Stars 2.5a

So, either fix your filesystem (the correct answer), or fix your .ini file (which can work, but is a funky choice)
Thanks - that worked! At least I know what to do when you bring out 3.0!

Alpha Centauri

Re: Bastard Sword of the Stars 3.0.2

Post by Alpha Centauri » Sun May 13, 2018 3:12 pm

I just released 3.0.2. See OP for details.

Have fun!

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Mon May 14, 2018 1:35 pm

Alpha Centauri wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 3:12 pm
I just released 3.0.2. See OP for details.

Have fun!
Nice! Will take a look!

Have not messed around with this mod in a while.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Knecht Ruprecht

Post by Knecht Ruprecht » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:56 pm

Just saw the update two days ago. Already sunk another 10+ hours of gameplay into this version. :D

I honestly thought SotS modding came at last to an end. Nice to see you are still holding the line! I can't remember that much about the earlier version (I played it for quite some time, but that's been a while again), but the current one strikes me as even more refined. I actually like that you got rid of trading (mostly). I also like the limitation of stations. For "home cluster" systems the choice is mostly a no-brainer (science station, maybe with an additional ship yard for, well, ship yard planets), but for border worlds you really have to think about whether building a sensor station, ship yard or command station. Maybe you could limit it even more, allowing only one station for most systems and only 2 for the largest (size 9+ or so) planets.

I haven't found any apparent bugs until now and will certainly keep playing.

Return to “Modding”