Say hypothetically...

Talk about all things to do with the acclaimed 4X title.

Moderator: Erinys

Rossinna-Sama

Re: Say hypothetically...

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:10 am

ZedF wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:08 pm
You don’t need any special skills to promote SotSverse games you like. If there are reddit conversations for the SotSverse and you are on reddit, then participate and spread enthusiasm. Or go on other social media and do the same. If you’re sure there are legions of fans hiding out there then go find them. :)
Indeed. My support workers have been fascinated by the posters, the calendar and other stuff from the kickstarter and some have even purchased the game due to it. The Liir seem to be the one which gets their attention and imagination going the most, though I admit one of my workers liked the name 'Zuul' and was considering naming her next child that but kinda backtracked when I told her what the name actually meant. 8)
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver Modder
Creator of the Work-In-Progress Seimei Visual Novel series.
My dream game: Combination of Sword of the Stars 2, Angels Fall First, Conquest: Frontier Wars and Warzone 2100.

fivve

Post by fivve » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:07 am

My Starbase idea.
1 Starbase allowed per system with 5 modules maximum which can be a mix of either Trade, Military, Research and Diplomacy.

Level 1 starbase
1. Trade which allows 5 cruiser class freighters
2. Military which adds 5 large turret mounts
3. Research which adds 5% to all research
4. Diplomacy which improves morale by 5%, diplomatic relations 5%

Level 2 Starbase
1. Trade which allows 10 cruiser class freighters or 5 dreadnaught class freighters
2. Military which adds 10 large turret mounts
3. Research which adds 10% to all research
4. Diplomacy which improves morale by 10%, diplomatic relations 10%

Default Starbase weapons can be 10 small turrets and 10 medium turrets

Cruiser class freighters allow you to have 4 small turrets
Dreadnaught class freighters allow you to have 4 small and 4 medium turrets
Dreadnaught class freighters carries 3 times as much cargo.

A trade screen which would show you where your freighters are going and how much money they are bringing in.

I quite like all the existing Tabs in SotS1, it would be nice to keep them as they are and the Ranking Menu is nice too.

It is easier to navigate from planet to planet in SotS2 when building Ships.

jahg84

Post by jahg84 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:24 pm

Will there even be starbases and trade in the initial release?

My 2c is for the starbase:planet ratio to be even lower than 1:1.
If it's per planet it's the responsibility of the planetary government. Maybe orbital infrastructure techs could infrastructure past 100 and appear in battles to be destroyed?

Imperial stations would have wider effects:
Trade would form a trade sector (no bonus for double covered planets) radius depending on drive tech.
Mining stations would send out ships to uninhabited systems in their area.
Science station - not sure, in places with lots of population closeby, but also uninhabited worlds to send science/xenarcheology vessels? Competes with both trade and mining.
Shipyard would have enough capacity that there rarely would be a reason to make two close to each other.
Naval bases would provide logistics (repair and drone replacement or other to fleets in their area.)

For humans/zuul are would be 2-3 node jumps (longer nodes unlock with tech)
Hivers got me stumped though.

fivve

Post by fivve » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:02 pm

jahg84, you are 100% correct, there were no Starbases. I tend to forget quite a lot after 13 years when SotS1 was released.

Schattenjaeger

Post by Schattenjaeger » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:21 pm

I'm... not reading through 76 pages to see if this has been mentioned before.

If I had to pick one thing about SoTS1 I did not like and would like to see changed, it would be weapon defaults and hardpoint choice on the ship design screen. For starters, I don't always agree with the game as to what the "best" weapon I currently have researched is, but on top of that, I then have to change each and every single hardpoint from what it is, to what I want it to be. Of course that goes for both new ships (defaults) and revisions.

So what I'd really like to see is an option to set defaults (overriding the game's logic) and/or an option to blanket set hardpoints by size/type to the same weapon across an entire hull. Yeah, there are times I get more granular than that, but it's not common. Almost always PD Phasers on small, Pulse Phasers on medium, and Triple Inertia Gun or Mesons on large. Torps, usually AM (base variant) or the one that disrupts electronics. Beams are straightforward, as are Projectors, if I use them. Sometimes I'll also do an Emitter Dread hull for S&G as well.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:29 pm

Umm you don't have to change every hardpoint by hand. There is a command to change all of the same size class at once.

fivve

Post by fivve » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:13 am

Schattenjaeger, if you right click the weapon choice it will change for all mounts.

In diplomacy it would be nice to have a colour code system when trading. Green for they would accept, yellow maybe and red for no.

It would be nice to see empire colours when you zoom out to view the whole galaxy. It gives you an idea of who is where.

rytram

Post by rytram » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:53 am

Mecron wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:29 pm
Umm you don't have to change every hardpoint by hand. There is a command to change all of the same size class at once.
ya, i was gonna point this out. but i was 2 comments too late for this. very nifty. it really is those small things that make all of the difference IMHO

however. this just sparked a curious little idea. what if, we could choose the mounts on the ships. like a destroyer depending on class has a certain number of mounts. usually small mounts. except spinal mounts. one of my smaller annoyances was that the mount angles were often not good enough to make effective use of Point Defense. sure. we may be able to choose all small mounts 360d coverage. so then we would have to think of a way to limit this option. maybe the weapon we install dictates the turrets coverage. like all PD's have a 180-360 coverage, while front facing lasers and mass drivers have a much narrower coverage. this way. when we research PD and emitters. they will be much more effective especially in early game where turret real estate is at a premium and where most of the random encounters take place IE: Swarm, derelicts, asteroid monitors, etc.

does this seem like a decent idea Mecron?
Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war!

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:18 am

Yeah...you see... SotS was meant to be about war...real war. And real war engineering. Putting your own turrets where you want where everything is optimal is a fantasy that has never existed and hence I really wasn't very interested in simulating it. SotS ships feel real because they are built to reflect real world engineering issues that prevent everything from being perfect.

rytram

Post by rytram » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:11 am

Mecron wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:18 am
Yeah...you see... SotS was meant to be about war...real war. And real war engineering. Putting your own turrets where you want where everything is optimal is a fantasy that has never existed and hence I really wasn't very interested in simulating it. SotS ships feel real because they are built to reflect real world engineering issues that prevent everything from being perfect.
no i dont want to place mounts where ever i want. that would be lame and honestly too much work. i was saying that different weapon types would a have different angles. but since you are considering real world engineering, i invite you to study a "US Destroyer" and note how its "Phalanx CIWS" (using a Vulcan) operates. and this is only 2019. that shit was developed long ago sure. the game we are playing is a futuristic space war sim, so it is pretty easy to assume since they are flying around the galaxy in space that they would be able to conquer basic Point defense.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:08 am

rytram wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:11 am
Mecron wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:18 am
no i dont want to place mounts where ever i want. that would be lame and honestly too much work. i was saying that different weapon types would a have different angles. but since you are considering real world engineering, i invite you to study a "US Destroyer" and note how its "Phalanx CIWS" (using a Vulcan) operates. and this is only 2019. that shit was developed long ago sure. the game we are playing is a futuristic space war sim, so it is pretty easy to assume since they are flying around the galaxy in space that they would be able to conquer basic Point defense.
Which is operating in a planetary atmosphere and doesn't have to deal with the conditions found in deep space, not to mention if it was actually hit by anything resembling a SOTS-style weapon, it'd shatter in an instant.
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver Modder
Creator of the Work-In-Progress Seimei Visual Novel series.
My dream game: Combination of Sword of the Stars 2, Angels Fall First, Conquest: Frontier Wars and Warzone 2100.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:17 am

:thumbsup:

fivve

Post by fivve » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:28 am

Rytram I see where your coming from with weapon arcs, but it doesn't really matter in space combat, plus in SotS you have to think more tactically and use the roll and turn options.
That being said you'd hit them with a starboard barrage, then spin or roll the ship to open up with Fore and Port guns.

rytram

Post by rytram » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:52 pm

Which is operating in a planetary atmosphere and doesn't have to deal with the conditions found in deep space, not to mention if it was actually hit by anything resembling a SOTS-style weapon, it'd shatter in an instant.
i dont understand what you are trying to explain. please elaborate

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:55 pm

don't feed the attention hound more than is polite, please.

Return to “SotS”