Simulation in different game worlds

All off-topic, non-Kerberos chatter. Saw a flick? Read a comic? Heard a tune? Got some news? Do it here, please and thanks.

Moderator: Erinys

Slashman

Simulation in different game worlds

Post by Slashman » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:39 am

I just saw this Xlog video from the CEO of Egosoft games talking about how different games simulate a universe and why its so hard to debug (their games) from a developer's perspective.

Interesting Stuff I think.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Mecron
Kerberos

Re: Simulation in different game worlds

Post by Mecron » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:08 pm

nice find!

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:01 pm

Yeah I always liked these deep dives into game development. Understanding why things are done a certain way.

Plus it gives me plenty of ammo when armchair devs start throwing around their weight. :P

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:16 pm

you can see where my bemusement comes from sometimes;)

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:44 pm

Yep. That's why I've become a lot more chill about asking for stuff from developers. I literally do not know what they have to face or what it takes to put something in a game. Like when people ask for a thing but there are just as many people who don't want it in...the obvious logical choice is not to just give it as an option. There are a whole lot of things to consider when doing that...including testing and bug fixing two different versions of the game potentially.

The other day this dude was on their (Egosoft's) Steam forum and raging about the state of X4...saying how it was so much worse than X3 and how they had taken so many steps back. And when I had politely countered his points he threw a fit about how I was stalking him. He was raging on the Starpoint Gemini 3 forums too about how that game was doomed because they weren't focusing on flyable cap ships.

Then he blocked me. I was like is this guy 12 or something? I own both games, so of course I'm on their forums.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:17 am

Yeah there is a lot of unhealthy behaviour n the game community these days and it seems to have only gotten worse since the gamer gate start.

Return to “Off Topic Misc.”