Bastard Sword 4.0.2 [New!]

Share your mods and tricks of the trade here.
rytram

Re: Bastard Sword 4.0.2 [New!]

Post by rytram » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:06 am

another thing i have a problem with is all of the heavy missile mounts that CANT be changed to any other weapons. it bugs me that i can have 6+ large mounts dedicated to missiles only.
Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war!

ScoSteSal118

Post by ScoSteSal118 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:01 pm

Red Hellion, would it be possible for you to post a version of the 4.0.2 mod files with your changes? I'd appreciate that a great deal (rather than having to figure out how to redo them myself and then also repeat all of the tedium you went through).

solops

Post by solops » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:51 pm

+1

Red_Hellion

Post by Red_Hellion » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:27 am

Sorry, I hadn't checked this thread in a while.

Here you go (hopefully this stays up for a while, I've never actually used Mediafire before):
https://www.mediafire.com/file/9p219icu ... ON.7z/file

Changes are listed in "4.0.2 REDHELLION Changes.txt" in the root directory of the mod. Installation is exactly the same as for regular BSotS, and you should even just be able to copy this over your existing BSotS 4.0.2 mod install and use it in the middle of existing BSotS 4.0.2 saves (any existing dreadnoughts and dreadnought designs will just have all their turrets set to "default" weapons such as red lasers or basic missiles, so any existing dreadnoughts of any player will most likely turn into cannon fodder and you'll need to reconfigure all of your dreadnought designs - the AI should reconfigure all of their designs automatically).

I also give alphacentauri full permissions to integrate my changes into the main BSotS mod or otherwise make use of them, of course - my changes are based on their 4.0.2 version of this mod after all. I doubt I'll be making any further tweaks/changes to this version of BSotS, at least for now, so I provide all my changes as-is with no guarantee of further support from myself.

If anyone's curious, getting familiar with the moddable files and then looking into all these issues and fixing them (including playing the game a bit in between to test changes) took about 12-16 hours. I used Sublime Text 3 as my code/text editor. The changes were tested using an existing save where I was playing as Hiver, hopefully the other races are fine (I tried to make sure that all changes I made were made equally for each race).

If anyone wants to follow my own recommendations and potentially upgrade the Huge triple-barrel weapons to fire 4 or even 5 shots instead of just 3, you'll want to edit the "weapon.burst_volleys" value of the appropriate /Weapons/XXXXX.weapon (e.g. /Weapons/bal_huge_triple.weapon) file - since I had to use a single-barrel turret model, I control the number of shots fired via the burst volley size. You can do the same for the huge beam weapons by multiplying the "weapon.beam.dam" and "weapon.beam.force" values by 4 or 5 (they're already multiplied by 3 as noted in the files, so divide by 3 first) - since beam weapons don't really have a "volley" like projectile weapons and I had to use a single-barrel turret model, I just multiplied their effective damage and force applied to the target. If the graviton beams are flinging ships around too easily, you can decrease the "weapon.beam.force" values for them back down to normal.

ScoSteSal118

Post by ScoSteSal118 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:47 pm

Thank you very much, Red Hellion!

solops

Post by solops » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:30 am

ScoSteSal118 wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:47 pm
Thank you very much, Red Hellion!
+1

Return to “Modding”