Escape From Avalon--Part One

All things Human, Hiver, Tarka, Liir, Zuul and Morrigi.

Moderator: Erinys

Daier Mune

Post by Daier Mune » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:08 am

Slipstream is what they call thier FTL drives, right? we've seen what looks like node lines on thier empire management screen, and theres a picutre of thier fleet lined up outside a node point in combat; so i think its safe to assume that we're dealing with a drive system thats not-unlike the human FTL. Cai Rui mentions that the Zuul fleet took them by surprize, and reenforcements are days away. that says to me that maybe these slipstream drives are even faster than Human node transit, or are lower signature.
We do what we must because we can.

patton1942

Post by patton1942 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:18 am

tunnel drive is whats its called.
Mecron on Rebellions: "hell no, we won't go!" becomes "Holy crap! We don't wanna glow!"
Here be pirates

CatchCharyou

Post by CatchCharyou » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:21 am

Well, ships in nodespace are really hard to detect, even for the Humans themselves. The Zuul were expecting the Human ships to arrive at somepoint, so they were probably more actively scanning than the Human ships were. When Sol-Force arrived, the Zuul tunneled into hyperspace from near deep space, and ...foom.
K-I-C-K-A-S-S
That's the way we spell success.

erdrik

Post by erdrik » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:00 am

patton1942 wrote:... and have avoided excessive misdirection.

Avoiding excessive misdirection is a good way to slip in misdirection un-noticed. :wink:

silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Well... It might Be.... Hopefully not... :)

Post by silvaril » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:01 am

Heya

*cough*
silvaril wrote:Love is Love, God is God and I am still Living a Lifetime

Disclaimer:
The views of any individual may not necessarily represent those of "God"(tm)

patton1942

Post by patton1942 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:08 am

El Chupacabra, yo!
Mecron on Rebellions: "hell no, we won't go!" becomes "Holy crap! We don't wanna glow!"
Here be pirates

Chris
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Chris » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:25 am

New Jersey Devil, anyone?

Tssha

Post by Tssha » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:54 pm

I just wanted to point out that even though it isn't the case, the fact that so many people here jumped at the conclusion that these things kill their mothers at birth, means that when SolForce command gets their report, they're going to jump to the same conclusion. Thus adding to their evil mystique and helping them with propaganda. (These things have no concept of motherhood! They must die!). Never mind that it's factually inaccurate :wink: , but when all you've got is a camera at long range...I mean, if this was happening in a fully equipped Zuul hospital, it never would have happened, you would've seen a normal birth, but...
"The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, nor the kindly smile nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when he discovers that someone else believes in him and is willing to trust him."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

"In the beginning, there was nothing, which exploded." -Terry Pratchett

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:57 pm

very good point Tssha, and its remarkable how many times that has happened in humal history as well...and we are supposed to know how each other work :wink:

The Captain

Post by The Captain » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:03 pm

I have to agree. A single observation from a distance is not enough to conclude anything about this species. We don't even know for sure whether the crashes were intentional or not, and if they were intentional our hypotheses as to why exactly are sketchy at best.
At this point however, I think the question on the Sol-Force's (and my own) mind is not so much how the Zuul are born, but how they are killed.
They need to bag some for dissection.
The last thing this universe full of Von-Neumans, Swarmers and Planet killers needs is a race of bloodthirsty, fuzzy, chupikabra-genestealer-invade your head and your planet monsters to give humanity MORE problems.
(from the standpoint of someone from Sol-Force of course) :wink
When questioning whether or not planetary genocide is justifyable, remember the wisdom of Fleet Admiral Prescott TFN:
The best option is ALWAYS the Shiva Option!

MrBoom

Zuul life cycle?

Post by MrBoom » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:19 am

It sounds to me like the Zuul are very much like the Orks from Warhammer 40K (forgive me if someone pointed this out already), at least from a reproductive standpoint. You'd start off with spores that produce Squigs, then Snotlings, then eventually Orks. The colonists might've thought that the rats were nothing but vermin, but maybe a dormant DNA strand was activated when the presence of sentient life was detected. The rats start changing, get bigger, start working together to attack individuals and eventually take down the colony itself. Just a thought :)

CatchCharyou

Post by CatchCharyou » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:22 am

Maybe we'll find out when part two comes out? :D

Part two? Soon? Ya?

Ya. :D
K-I-C-K-A-S-S
That's the way we spell success.

Slasher
Platinum Post

Post by Slasher » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:26 am

Except we know Zuul give birth to live offspring, are telepathic and can take slaves rather than just kill everything they find. Non of which are attributes of orcs....

MrBoom

Post by MrBoom » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:08 am

Slasher wrote:Except we know Zuul give birth to live offspring, are telepathic and can take slaves rather than just kill everything they find. Non of which are attributes of orcs....

I didn't mean they were exactly like Orks, but the fact that they can go from "innocuous rat things" to something big and mean enough to be called a Ripper is similar to going from Squigs to Orks. But you are right about their behavioral differences, but unfortunately I get the distinct impression that the Zuul are much smarter than any Ork. They build their own private node lines, that's pretty damned advanced.

Dano13

Post by Dano13 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:24 pm

They are smart, but not very creative ... they reverse engineer everything they know.

Hmmmmm .... wonder where they stole the Tunnel Drive from? The mysterious "Masters"?

Dano

Return to “The Races”