Horrible Stuttering, Lag

Moderator: Kludgy

VampLena

Horrible Stuttering, Lag

Post by VampLena » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:57 am

I just got the game, installed XNA Studio and it starts up no crashes, it seems very fun, just made it the police station and cleaned it out but now for some reason theres horrible lag and stuttering, and its pretty unplayable. I dont think its my PC, it pretty much plays everything on the highest settings like Fallout 3, Mass Effect, Ghostbusters, Crysis, Sims 3, Oblivion..etc. Drivers are all up to date. This is actually the only game I've ever played on here that does this heh

my specs are

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Processor at 3.0ghz
8 Gig RAM
Asus Geforce 8800 GTS
Asus Xonar Sound Card
Western Digital SATA Drive, 216 Gig free

Profound_Darkness

Re: Horrible Stuttering, Lag

Post by Profound_Darkness » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:16 am

Just curious, what version are you running?
Mecron wrote:... "Hey aliens!! Candygram from the planet of crazy talking monkeys!!" ...

my fav tactical w/fav races :)

VampLena

Post by VampLena » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:22 am

if you mean of Fort Zombie, 1.0 but if you mean XNA thing, 3.0

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:41 am

once again...pan the camera low and rotate it at the start of the mission...it will chug but complete the full 360, after that you should be much better off.

thetillinghast

Post by thetillinghast » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:17 am

try deactivating the high dynamic range.
This game has random lag and stutters but the high dynamic range can cause really bad performance issues (it is illogical because hdr is handled very well by other games, but in this game is very dangerous)

Profound_Darkness

Post by Profound_Darkness » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:06 pm

Actually HDR is quite stressful on most hardware (in my experience). Especially if you try to have other hardware enhancements enabled at the same time... like anti-aliasing (for a while you COULDN'T have both and only monster cards can pull both off).
Mecron wrote:... "Hey aliens!! Candygram from the planet of crazy talking monkeys!!" ...

my fav tactical w/fav races :)

VampLena

Post by VampLena » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:10 pm

I've tried all these suggestions and whlie its a tiny bit better, its still not good enough to really play. Its near impossible to aim properly and move quickly enough to avoid the zombies with how slow it runs.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:14 pm

color me dubious...but I suppose its time to look at drivers and then nuts and bolts. What era and size is that gforce?

Kedrigh

Post by Kedrigh » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:41 pm

i'm playing on win xp sp3, qx6700, geforce 8800gtx, and 4 gigs of ram, and the mouse and camera lag is killing the game for me. drivers all up to date, 'cept for graphic driver since risen has issues with the newer ones.

turning the camera fixes some stuttering but the lag is unaffected by camera or game settings, for that matter.

Kludgy
Site Admin

Post by Kludgy » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:15 pm

Hi,

Does turning the graphics settings right down help? Even if it is not ideal, it will help pinpoint the problem.

And HDR in FZ can be quite a bit more load because it relies on floating point support on the GPU. This is why the option is off by default.

I will be turning an eye to performance over the next week to identify bottlenecks.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:16 pm

also what version are you using?

splintercell56

Post by splintercell56 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:28 pm

I tried Force Vsync through the Nvidia Control Panel, overclocking both GPU and CPU, etc... etc... and I can't seem to get a decent framerate as well.

And that spinning trick only fixes stuttering for me as well. No Offense Kerberos devs but your Fort Zombie engine (Which I believe if I remember correctly is the one your using for Northstar?) needs some serious work in the Optimization Department. And no offense but any proper engine does not need a *trick* just to get a good framerate.

If I can run ArmA 2 High settings native resolution and COD4 and cant run Fort Zombie, theirs problems (Don't mean to be insulting but when Crysis which is a system killer runs better you know you have problems). Also is their any sound other than the Menu Music, Gunshots, and the very low Zombie Moan which for some reason I have to blast my speakers to hear?

I really want to enjoy this game, but alas as PS3 owners can relate (Two Words: Socom Confrontation) it appears the $10 charge was for a beta and not a complete game. I'm just hoping this is a bad halloween joke, but if this is supposed to be a final product... Well its insulting coming from the developers of Sword of the Stars.

I know I am not a developer but just a thought anyways, I think one of the problems with your engine is that everything seems to be affected by physics. Notable goal, but that will overtask both the CPU and GPU, especially if their is not an option to effect the amount of physics rendering the gamer wants. Good example of a game that has a decent Ageia physics engine (Which everyone knows is the company Nvidia bought out to build their PhysX code and GPU's) is Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2. Which by the way runs good on my computer.

No offense is intended, I just don't want to see the developers of Sword of the Stars which is a great game, and the engine which might be used for Northstar fall short. Considering I truly believe with everything I have read , that Northstar has the potential to be the next Mass Effect, if not Star Wars territory.

And one day I would like to be able to experience Fort Zombie as well, just not requiring a NASA computer... If you don't get the joke look it up.

Dereknor

Post by Dereknor » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:29 pm

I have bad lag too, after playing some minutes I usually stop again, cause I get kind of nervous. When you try to run away from a zombie and cant,because its lagging, you get crazy! ;)

I got:

AMD Athlon Duo Core 4600+
2 GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
WinXP SP2

Its not the best system and about 2-3 years old, but I dont see why it should have problems with this game. I play with all settings to low, but it doesnt really help it.

I cant explain it, but running around with low framerate and without sound of zombies behind me is killing my nervs hehe
Ya Var'Derek Nor'Vec du Tarka Hanakuum. Vreen dumah lolokaad. Praada!

VampLena

Post by VampLena » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:54 pm

Version 1.00 since its from Impulse,

Im using a Geforce 8800 GTS 640 mem
and but windows 7 says the total available graphical memory is 4095 MB

and the Geforce Latest (oct 30th) 195.39 beta driver for Windows 7 64 bit
previously, I was using the 191.07 Driver

Kedrigh

Post by Kedrigh » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:31 pm

gamersgate 1.0.2.0 here

hdr and render quality seem to be the biggest hogs. changing shadow settings while in a game seems to randomly crash and corrupt it too.

lowest settings look like a ps1 game but run fluently.

Return to “FZ Technical Support”